Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
??? @MP3Mike @SO16 disagree with what? You're saying that Tesla do not have a crazy high churn rate at senior level? I'm not saying what Tesla is doing is right, simply saying focus is not on doing right with legacy customers, focus is 1000% on getting cars out to new customers, and that focus may just frustrate a lot of people at Tesla and at senior level at Tesla to a point that they leave, because there is a lot of people leaving after being there for a short while.

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
??? @MP3Mike @SO16 disagree with what? You're saying that Tesla do not have a crazy high churn rate at senior level? I'm not saying what Tesla is doing is right, simply saying focus is not on doing right with legacy customers, focus is 1000% on getting cars out to new customers, and that focus may just frustrate a lot of people at Tesla and at senior level at Tesla to a point that they leave, because there is a lot of people leaving after being there for a short while.
I disagreed with your implied reason.

Reactions: Fiver
If you look at the churn rate at senior level at Tesla you will see there is no solid footing. It may just be the lack business ethics that is one of the major reasons for the high churn rate.

There have been suspicions along these lines for about three or four years now. At one time, the legal department was a revolving door. It is not clear whether Musk calls all the shots or whether he has his trusted associates to do much of his bidding.

I think one of the issues facing Tesla is that they do not have a public relations department. There is no group within Tesla who can separate legitimate concerns from its customers and public perceptions from the ones that are initiated by trolls and other unsavory individuals who just want to smear the brand or Musk.

Public relations is like accounting and legal. They are a drag on the bottom line; those departments are not profit centers. Typically, the public relations department reports to some executive VP within the company who has enough clout to be heard by the board and CEO/COO when consumer and public confidence ebb.

It may be a case of Tesla being penny wise and pound foolish if and when the competition catches up with them.

While Tesla maintains its intractable stance of not providing customers with avenues to broach concerns and problems, Tesla seems to be redoubling its construction of Supercharger locations. It is also increasing the number of service centers in metropolitan and semi-rural areas. These are good signs. So there is hope that once the company decides that the Supercharger network is approaching reasonable capacity and that the service centers are adequate to repair our cars, maybe the board and other executives will feel that the time is right to spend some of their profit on a customer service/public relations department.

One can only hope. But I am not holding my breath.

View attachment 785327

Thank for the replies. I agree it's very likely a loose sense wire or a bad or damaged AD converter / circuit. Interesting how both cells next to the sense wire location add and subtract some voltage equally (+-300mV). I took the car for a spin yesterday while it reported 200km and did not notice any strange behaviour, estimated range came down as expected, except the lack of charging/regen. Today it woke up with 57km of range and 12.8kWh left according to Scan my Tesla, so I decided to take my wife's car to work. I cannot possible get a hold of anyone with knowledge at Tesla (SeC Groningen The Netherlands), which is a bit awkward. All I get is some young woman telling me to keep driving it and wait for my appointment, which I ofcourse will not do. I guess I will just run down the door tomorrow. Thanks for having a look. I think the battery is still fine, but the tiny issue is hard to fix due to accessibility.
I had the exact same problem in Aug 2020, also module 7. My readings were also +/- 300mV from the other modules, and averaged out to the expected value. Additionally, the readings in SMT and on the car's range display bounced around wildly and quickly got worse. After a few days, the IC range display was changing from 70% to 100% to 0% to 50%, etc while I watched. The car threw a bunch of battery codes, shut down and needed to be jumped when the tow truck showed up.

I got a refurb (not the new 14 module 350V pack). It had slightly better range and significantly fewer charge cycles than my original, but appeared to be software capped at my prior battery's 251 mile 100% range.

Yeah your main issue is that the BMS can't see the real readings of those two cells, so it has to behave as if they were real readings for the purposes of charging/discharging... leaving you with a very narrow window of usability which will only get worse with use.

I'm not sure why anyone at Tesla would tell you to keep driving it for three weeks............... I'd almost say go ahead and do that until it dies, and then complain to them that they said it was fine to drive... but, probably more of a headache than it's worth.

If you really have a problem which is critical then escalate at the SEC. Last Christmas I had a drive unit warning on my cluster. I scheduled a appointment in Tilburg but it was way to long until I was going to be helped. Then I called the support line explaining the issue also showing/communicating the error message on the screen and they were able to slot me in right away. If you cannot go to the SEC on short notice you should consider getting it towed there since the car will shut down and then it is a brick. Better to have the car in service and have a loaner instead of having it towed and you using your wifes car.

I had the exact same problem in Aug 2020, also module 7. My readings were also +/- 300mV from the other modules, and averaged out to the expected value. Additionally, the readings in SMT and on the car's range display bounced around wildly and quickly got worse. After a few days, the IC range display was changing from 70% to 100% to 0% to 50%, etc while I watched. The car threw a bunch of battery codes, shut down and needed to be jumped when the tow truck showed up.

I got a refurb (not the new 14 module 350V pack). It had slightly better range and significantly fewer charge cycles than my original, but appeared to be software capped at my prior battery's 251 mile 100% range.

Screenshot 2022-03-27 205012.png
Screenshot 2022-03-27 205053.png

Screenshot_20220325-141835.png
Screenshot_20220325-141759.png

So yeah, next day the values got further apart and the car just would not move anymore with these measured/estimated cell pack voltages. I had to get it towed to the SeC Groningen NL, Sadly I I have still not been able to contact them except through some automated text messages that say; thank you for bringing your car, renting a car costs 85 euro per day. I will go there tomorrow afternoon to see what's up and if they have a loaner. I could have driven it there and not wasted the poor tow man's afternoon, if Tesla would have just allowed me. Ah well. I'm reading on the forum getting a replacement pack from the lottery, wether it is a REMAN or 90kWh, could take a while, hoping I can get a loaner.

View attachment 786687View attachment 786688

View attachment 786691View attachment 786694

So yeah, next day the values got further apart and the car just would not move anymore with these measured/estimated cell pack voltages. I had to get it towed to the SeC Groningen NL, Sadly I I have still not been able to contact them except through some automated text messages that say; thank you for bringing your car, renting a car costs 85 euro per day. I will go there tomorrow afternoon to see what's up and if they have a loaner. I could have driven it there and not wasted the poor tow man's afternoon, if Tesla would have just allowed me. Ah well. I'm reading on the forum getting a replacement pack from the lottery, wether it is a REMAN or 90kWh, could take a while, hoping I can get a loaner.
Yes, I started seeing completely nonsensical values, <3.2V and >4.2V. Best of luck!

View attachment 786687View attachment 786688

View attachment 786691View attachment 786694

Thank you for the extensive update @Lewis88 , please let us know what kind of replacement you are getting in the Netherlands. It has been a while since i have connected SMT to my car. I will check on my imbalance how that is progressing.

Folks,

The settlement "Notice" has been mailed to the affected owners. All the info, including the mailed Notice are now available at this website:

So, what will each of you do with your loot? Perhaps we should start another thread with all our lofty ambitions with our $640. 🤣
🤣

• Funny
Reactions: Droschke
In Rasmussen v. Tesla, Inc. Order on Motion for Settlement, it appears that Tesla, Inc. asserted to the court that, at the time of settlement, "...among the affected vehicles: Max battery voltage fully restored = 1,552 cars, Battery replaced: 57 cars, Vehicles with data unavailable to access = 21 cars, Total = 1,743 cars. "
I cannot find that document in the court records. Does anyone have a link to that?

My 2013 P85 remains 'unrestored' and I suspect others are still disabled as well. A $600 check for lost miles shouldn't absolve Tesla of responsibility if a car is still capped or needs a new battery. Assuming for a moment that Tesla is telling the truth to the court, then the unrestored cars remain capped for a reason, which might warrant repair/replacement.

I'd like to increase the pressure to get our capped cars restored and/or repaired. My plan so far is to

1) email Tesla asking for them to uncap my car, and offering to come in if it's one of the 'data unavailable' cases. Of course I expect them to ignore this. They were always very careful to discuss the battery issues on the phone and never in writing

2) write to the court that at least one vehicle isn't restored

3) I don't know what to do after that. File a separate case in Santa Clara Superior Court?

Perhaps I could start a shared spreadsheet where we can list the vehicles that remain disabled and present that to the court? I'm open to ideas on how to format that to be factual and compelling.

Is your car still capped?
Mine is still VERY capped. Before: 256 miles. Now: 202 miles at 100%!

• Helpful
Reactions: Gixx1300R
I guess I will be writing an objection to the settlement, since it does not mention a solution for those who STILL have had ZERO restoration. I will ask that those who did NOT get restored be made whole (to what they were PRIOR to the updates). If Tesla states that TIME will resolve it, then give a hard time frame and a solution if it does not happen.
I suggest that EVERYONE who has NOT been restored do the same.

Reactions: DJRas