Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sudden Unexpected Acceleration today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AP2 does still have some phantom braking,

Does it? I've seen a few mentions of this but it always sounds like they're describing AEB false detection, not EAP false detection

The report I've seen are things like a drop of 20ish mph, like "I was cruising at 70 and got near an overpass and suddenly it braked hard down to 45!)

That's AEB- which if it thinks you're gonna hit something will slow you down by up to 25 mph and then either you've hit it, or it expects the driver to be taking over.

AP2 on the other hand will stop you to 0 if it thinks there's a stopped car ahead of you.

• Helpful
Reactions: mongo
Because the car in front of you doing a left on the 45 MPH two lane road finally got an opening (and you didn't spring for EAP)...
I have EAP. I'm not talking about cruise already set, and I'm not talking about already moving on a normal road. Next time you're in a parking lot and the speed limit shows 45 MPH, please go ahead and press down on the stalk. I'm not responsible for what happens. What i'm saying: could this be what happened to the OP?

Reactions: SSonnentag
Does it? I've seen a few mentions of this but it always sounds like they're describing AEB false detection, not EAP false detection

The report I've seen are things like a drop of 20ish mph, like "I was cruising at 70 and got near an overpass and suddenly it braked hard down to 45!)

That's AEB- which if it thinks you're gonna hit something will slow you down by up to 25 mph and then either you've hit it, or it expects the driver to be taking over.

AP2 on the other hand will stop you to 0 if it thinks there's a stopped car ahead of you.

Bad phrasing on my part. I was referring to the AP2+ HW/SW. Could indeed be AEB vs EAP.

I have EAP. I'm not talking about cruise already set, and I'm not talking about already moving on a normal road. Next time you're in a parking lot and the speed limit shows 45 MPH, please go ahead and press down on the stalk. I'm not responsible for what happens. What i'm saying: could this be what happened to the OP?

I'm not saying it is desirable behavior in a parking lot, just that there are use cases for wanting to go back to cruise at 45. Could be better to require 20+ MPH speed before re-engaging to avoid the scenario you describe.

understood and agree - i get it in stop and go traffic where you are sitting there, and you just want to set the cruise (EAP) and let it do its thing without having to adjust cruise once traffic clears and you can get back up to normal speed. There needs to be a happy medium in my mind. I haven't tried what I suggested...maybe parked on the side of the street i'll test it and see what happens.

• Helpful
I'm not saying it is desirable behavior in a parking lot, just that there are use cases for wanting to go back to cruise at 45. Could be better to require 20+ MPH speed before re-engaging to avoid the scenario you describe.

Sure -- but how much more intuitive and safer would it be to let me set it to current speed and give a few upward flicks on the trackball.

Have you actually tried it? Our Tesla does not allow activation of cruise control while driving slowly unless a pace car is detected in front. I believe it displays a message saying must be traveling 18mph.

• Helpful
Reactions: brkaus and mongo
Have you actually tried it? Our Tesla does not allow activation of cruise control while driving slowly unless a pace car is detected in front. I believe it displays a message saying must be traveling 18mph.

Me? No, I'm a theoretical Tesla owner at this point. You are right about the functionality, from the manual
To use Traffic-Aware Cruise Control, you must be driving at least 18 mph (30 km/h), unless a vehicle is detected ahead of you.
Good to know it won't activate at low speed.

@pcpro , nothing to worry about.

Reactions: pcpro
...AP2...

Your case is Autopilot related and it is an unfinished product.

Driver is responsible for using a beta quality system.

Your case of "sudden acceleration" is just like "sudden swerving" into a concrete barrier and die because of using Autopilot.

When you use a beta product, you should expect some bugs, imperfections to be worked out as you go along.

Your case is Autopilot related and it is an unfinished product.
Driver is responsible for using a beta quality system.

Yeah I don't really buy that. Same with "Tesla beta navigation".

You can't just put a "This is beta" sticker on everything and get away with it all.

Come on, beta navigation? I've had fine working navigation 15 years ago on an HP iPaq.

How can one know the difference? I would think with AEB there would be the red car in the IC, but there is nothing.
I had a phantom brake today. No cars in front of me, no red car mentioned on the display.

Did the car slow down, hard, by roughly 25 miles per hour then stop slowing down? That's AEB. It initiates panic braking, then expects the driver to either take over, or it's too late and you've hit whatever you were gonna hit.

AP2 on the other hand if it thinks there's something stopped ahead it detects as a collision object will attempt to brake you to 0.

I suppose the easiest way to tell is if it happens with AP2 turned off- next would be if it slows you more than 25 mph.

...You can't just put a "This is beta" sticker on everything and get away with it all...

Waymo and others do not sell their unfinished systems to the public.

Very few companies do! I can think of 2: Tesla and Comma.ai

When their products are unfinished, they are REALLY unfinished!

Early adopters knew exactly what they got into because when they first bought it, it didn't work at all (not activated.) And when it started to work, it only worked on the freeway at the deadly speed of 35 MPH!

Now it works pretty well at the speed of 90 MPH and people tend to forget that history that it is STILL beta.

If owners want a finnished product, they need to wait for it until Waymo, Ford, GM Cruise and others will sell them one in unforeseeable future.

Otherwise, don't sign up for being a test pilot then sue that those jet prototypes are trying to kill them!