Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suggested User Interface Change - Climate Control

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That would be very useful, especially if that also included stuff like rear defrosters. If we started getting freezing rain and my car was parked outside I would want to run the rear defrosters in addition to the climate system to keep the ice from building up.

I would love to see the heated steering wheel a sticky setting but I don't find it too much of an issue as I don't play around with the controls too much so this is almost always a quick three click operation - click controls and the winter screen will come up - then click on the steering wheel. Then one more click on controls to get rid of that window. My muscle memory has gotten to the point where my fingers know exactly where to go.

Reactions: milleron and GSP
Yes please!!! Those controls are very awkward to access, especially while driving.

While you’re at it, make the wiper heater actually useful. I have yet to see any evidence of it working.

There's just not enough heat in the element on the windshield to help the wipers in my climate. Lately, when I do windshield replacements, I order the glass for the cars that don't have the wiper heater option and just not hook anything up. Not a bit of difference, except save $50 or $100 ...

I wish they would bring back the status HVAC status icons so I could see at a glance what I have selected. I'm not an "Auto" person so I always have to touch the screen and bring up the settings to know what I have selected.
Screen Shot 2018-01-16 at 2.31.07 PM.png

Reactions: Brass Guy and vdiv
It would be really great if they just made that area like the touch bar on the new MacBook Pros. They give you a catalogue of objects to select and a number of available spaces. Let us just put what we want there. That way it could accommodate seasons, for those of us that have them, and other preferred features if you didn’t want to see heated seats all the time.

The problem (non-problem?) I have is that it's never been cold enough (even with this winter) in NoVa to have the heated seats or wheel on long enough. They are so hot I can't think of running continually..... It must be really cold (or you don't use the cabin heater at all!) to use the seats and wheel to the point you have it on when you exit and can want it sticky for next time!

My suggestion to improve the climate control interface - add the heated steering wheel and heated front windshield controls as shown below (red arrows) so they are easily accessible without having to drill down into submenus:

View attachment 273105

There is room and I think the added function would far out weigh any perceived additional clutter.

What do you guys think?

Mike
I'd rather be able to set it to come on automatically based on the temperature outside.

Reactions: DarrenK and vdiv
*drooling*... «Hey Tesla, activate heated steering wheel». Wouldnt even have to touch anything before the wheel is toasty. Sounds like something that Elon would reply to on twitter

When I got my MS last year, I traded in my Fusion Hybrid and kept my ancient 15-yr old Accord. It'll fairly soon be eligible for antique license plates, but guess what; I could control every single aspect of climate control simply by talking to it.
And it worked great. Still does!
C'mon Tesla. You finally got your windshield wipers into the 21st century. Why are you plodding along with last-century voice control?!
The features in my MS are astonishing. Many of the features left out of it are equally astonishing.
  1. A useful blind-spot warning (this one is nearly criminal)
  2. A useful auto-dimming rear-view mirror
  3. Coat hooks
  4. Universal voice control
  5. Door storage nooks
  6. Car Play
  7. Removable or "lowerable" rear-seat middle head rest
  8. Easier access to climate controls (to bring the reply back to the topic of the thread)

Last edited:
My suggestion to improve the climate control interface - add the heated steering wheel and heated front windshield controls as shown below (red arrows) so they are easily accessible without having to drill down into submenus:

View attachment 273105

There is room and I think the added function would far out weigh any perceived additional clutter.

What do you guys think?

Mike

View attachment 273105

What do you guys think?

Mike
how about a heated glass roof panels???

View attachment 273105

What do you guys think?

Mike
Great Idea, I would also like to see them add the window heater/defroster to the climate section of the phone app

Reactions: NOLA_Mike
I've sent this off to Musk via twitter several times... along with the exit seat position suggestion. I'm sure many people have done this and I think the squeaky wheel gets the features implemented. Currently the menus have too many levels and could be flattened out.

I'd also like to see the ability to automatically disable the front left, front right, rear left, and rear right vents if the seatbelts or seat sensors are not engaged... also to automatically turn on the steering wheel heater when temps are below a certain point.

This user interface is pretty - no, incredibly - inefficient. rather than just the arrows and on-screen action buttons having such a small area to select, I'd like to see the areas be more general... we shouldn't have to be distracted to touch a little check-box, the general area would be great. Things like tire pressure and energy graphs on the driver console could be combined (energy graph circle in the middle) with tire pressures around it, and suspension on the bottom and sunroof on the top - all-in-one display... and add battery temps, that'd be fun.

Then again, we still don't have automatic emergency braking while cars 1/6th the cost of my Tesla now have this feature, as well as 'birds eye' camera views.

Next to the volume button I think there's room for an EQ preset button to cycle through Equalizer presets which I'd really appreciate.

Instead of that huge climate climate/auto on/off button region, eliminate the word climate and have 'on/off, auto/manual, recirc on/off'

Really a great start - I'd love to see more from you, and I thank you for your time in doing this!

View attachment 273105

What do you guys think?

Mike

Reactions: NOLA_Mike