Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger-Adelaide (SA)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cool location, especially if you see what's across the other side of Franklin Street on the corner :)

The wine bar :)

It all seems to line up @BenT - the fact that the bus operator owns that land and their head office is the building with the dot makes sense. And it does look like the excavated path going straight up is the right size for SC stall units. Pretty sure the orange is a legal thing that it must be used for electrical cabling - that could vary state by state though. But if true it could be a high voltage toilet block :)

Cool location, especially if you see what's across the other side of Franklin Street on the corner :)

This is the Franklin Hotel. Never been so I can't give a personal recommendation but the website looks okay.
The Wine Bar is directly opposite the construction site while the Hotel is more on the diagonal. There is a cafe at the Joinery which is on the same side of the road as the putative charger site.

I'm *this* close to calling it...
I AM calling it Chuq! I spoke to a bloke in a hard hat on the site today. All he could tell me was that they were installing car chargers for Adelaide city council. When I asked about Tesla he just grinned. I think we can add the site as Adelaide Supercharger in construction. My only question now is will they have it finished by 29 September. I did see they built a Supercharger in US in about 2 weeks so it is theoretically possible.

Reactions: lennier
Had another look at my snaps. This could be a concrete footing for the transformer and conduit channel for the Supercharger stations. On the other hand they could be building a new toilet block.
View attachment 246770
Also worth noting that the bus station roof has a 70 megawatt hr/ year solar pv panel system which is used to power a solar bus and possibly the building. Could this power a Supercharger?
https://www.cityofadelaide.com.au/assets/acc/Environment/energy/docs/tindo_fact_sheet.pdf

Only enough to charge one car per time in the middle of the day but enough to offset the energy of 4 cars half charging per 24 hour day on average.

I AM calling it Chuq! I spoke to a bloke in a hard hat on the site today. All he could tell me was that they were installing car chargers for Adelaide city council. When I asked about Tesla he just grinned. I think we can add the site as Adelaide Supercharger in construction. My only question now is will they have it finished by 29 September. I did see they built a Supercharger in US in about 2 weeks so it is theoretically possible.

There's always appears to be a lot of downtime when installing Superchargers, at this point there is 9 week days remaining till the 29th, it could be done and would be a winner with the media if Elon cuts the ribbon, I don't believe he attends many Supercharger openings. I wonder if Josh and Malcolm will get an invite?

There's always appears to be a lot of downtime when installing Superchargers, at this point there is 9 week days remaining till the 29th, it could be done and would be a winner with the media if Elon cuts the ribbon, I don't believe he attends many Supercharger openings. I wonder if Josh and Malcolm will get an invite?
From what I've seen of their construction I reckon working flat out on a clean site they could actually do all the trenching, cabling, concreting and installation in a matter of a few days with enough people. What normally sets the overall timescale is commissioning if interaction with power companies is involved, but if they can sort that there's no reason it couldn't be done in time.

I AM calling it Chuq!

giphy.webp

I don't know why I'm so excited about this particular site, it's not like I'll be making use of it any time soon!

What normally sets the overall timescale is commissioning if interaction with power companies is involved, but if they can sort that there's no reason it couldn't be done in time.

It's because of too many cooks...

- Power company supplies transformer
- Civil works (excavation)
- Delivery of SCs, posts etc. to site (possibly by a courier, not the electrical contractor).
- Installation of electrical wiring and SCs
- Civil works - Landscaping, line painting, concreting
- Power company energises site, checks and approves
- Tesla checks and approves

Add all the little extras like things like the temporary fencing companies etc. too.

They wouldn't be scheduled one day after the other because of the risk that one would delay everything (and you then need to reschedule all the rest, etc)

giphy.webp

I don't know why I'm so excited about this particular site, it's not like I'll be making use of it any time soon!

It's because of too many cooks...

- Power company supplies transformer
- Civil works (excavation)
- Delivery of SCs, posts etc. to site (possibly by a courier, not the electrical contractor).
- Installation of electrical wiring and SCs
- Civil works - Landscaping, line painting, concreting
- Power company energises site, checks and approves
- Tesla checks and approves

Add all the little extras like things like the temporary fencing companies etc. too.

They wouldn't be scheduled one day after the other because of the risk that one would delay everything (and you then need to reschedule all the rest, etc)

Have you ever noticed they never appear to have any of these delays when constructing a KFC or Macca's building? I guess thats why they call them fast food stores.

Work progressing apace in Adelaide. Today there were badged vehicles from Enerven (SA power networks) and Outside Ideas (landscapers) on site. The concrete foundation for the transformer poured and the electrical conduit is in place at one end. I was informed that the project is due to be completed by the "end of the month" which fits with a September 29 opening date. Apparently there will be 2 rows of 4 chargers each. 8 Superchargers seems a lot for Adelaide so perhaps there will be chargers for other EV? The location has a lot of potential. There are a number of walkable options for food and drinks. There are even bikes for hire and a shower at the bus station. On the down side the whole area could do with a bit of a touch up and there are a number of vacant buildings. Also the bus car park is full of Adelaide Metro diesel busses idling their engines so don't expect to sit back and soak up the serenity while you charge.

Last edited:
8 chargers would probably fit in with the strategy for the new city superchargers, which could potentially get a lot more frequent use than long distance superchargers. Would be sensible to look ahead to Model 3 owners living in town.
I did ask if they were putting in the new 75kw city superchargers as I thought the same thing but I just got blank look so either they didn't know what I was talking about or they aren't giving anything away. Adelaide city council have promised 40 EV chargers across Adelaide and to date they have only installed ChargePoint type chargers so I thought perhaps they might put some of each at this site as it seems to be a joint project with Adelaide City Council.

Great work @BenT ! I'm still uncertain about calling this as a Tesla site. It could be public chargers... and the options of two different form factors for Tesla stalls does make it hard to confirm. It should all be apparent in the next few days!

It's looking and quacking a lot like a duck at the moment. I also think the alignment of the stars is right with Tesla event in SA, Elon talking at Astronaut conference and the charger site completion all set for end September. I will try and get you some more photos but today it was looking more and more like the photos from the Eaton construction site.

Reactions: Chuq