Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Alexandria, MN

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Personally, I think all the blue dots on I-94 should be removed. I know there has been permit activity for Fargo in the past week or so, but the permit has just been for a survey for the design of a Supercharger. It's not for construction. Most of the others are more than a year old now, and nothing has happened. Nobody knows anything, either. For some reason, I-94 is just not working for fast charging (except for Clearwater).

I think that they are prioritizing the Trans Canadian highway over I-94 west of Minneapolis. We are starting to see more pop up under construction and with known permits in Canada.

I would not be surprised if they skip Alexandria for now and finish the Fargo Supercharger first. The permit for Fargo was a design permit with a survey, so I would not expect any construction in Fargo until we see a new permit for actual digging show up.

Especially given no permit in Alexandria this spring and half the summer is gone, its looking bleak right now.

Stopped by Alexandria today. There is some digging-type operation going on in the north-east corner of the Target lot. I didn't have time to stop and ask them if it was Tesla related. I don't want to get too excited, but hopefully it's related. :)
20190703_145649.jpg

Interesting! Can’t imagine any other reason to trench from an electrical junction box? Does anyone remember where the planned location of this Supercharger was? Seems like a logical location in the back of the parking lot close to an existing electrical hookups.

Stopped by Alexandria today. There is some digging-type operation going on in the north-east corner of the Target lot. I didn't have time to stop and ask them if it was Tesla related. I don't want to get too excited, but hopefully it's related. :)
That's a directional borer. And while supercharger installs do sometimes use them, I don't believe this particular instance is Tesla related. The boring that they do do is just for connecting the utility transformers to the electrical grid. That step, and the boring for it, isn't usually the first thing that happens in supercharger builds. I think this one is for CenturyLink running telephone/communication lines underground. See this One Call ticket from July 1st for work starting today for that purpose in this location: 191821016

Interesting! Can’t imagine any other reason to trench from an electrical junction box? Does anyone remember where the planned location of this Supercharger was? Seems like a logical location in the back of the parking lot close to an existing electrical hookups.

The work that they are doing is at the very location the superchargers will go... at the very NE end corner of the lot.

That's a directional borer. And while supercharger installs do sometimes use them, I don't believe this particular instance is Tesla related. The boring that they do do is just for connecting the utility transformers to the electrical grid. That step, and the boring for it, isn't usually the first thing that happens in supercharger builds. I think this one is for CenturyLink running telephone/communication lines underground. See this One Call ticket from July 1st for work starting today for that purpose in this location: 191821016

Good digging, mociaf9, that's exactly it -- wow, talk about a tease, courtesy of CenturyLink. :(

• Funny
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
The lack of pace of the chargers on I-94 has been excruciating. There’s a ton of commerce and traffic on the I-94 corridor from Fargo through the lakes area and on into MSP.

We purchased an S and an X on the promise these would be live a couple of years ago. Feels like a total sell job in retrospect. We love the vehicles overall, however, this promised but incomplete corridor is breeding some resentment with those of us that are connected with the western half of MN.

If I was more sophisticated and influential I’d try a petition or something that could take these promises to completion.

To me it is additionally aggravating that there is an unused Urban SC sitting in Minneapolis/Eden Prairie.

It has non-proprietary connections.

Just get that one unit going in Fargo and that would help a lot. It would take only 4 such units, I think, to cross Fargo to Billings. Hook them up to biodiesel fueled generators. They are live in a week.