Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Asheville, NC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
qBlack1 - just to be safe can you advise where to charge in Asheville. I am worried that these may not be ready by 13 December and I would like some advice where any other chargers might be available. Thanks for posting these photos.

Check on PlugShare. There are lots of options. If you have a CHAdeMO adapter, the Asheville Public Works at 161 S Charlotte St, Asheville, NC 28801 works great. The one in the Biltmore street garage did not work last time I was there in September, but looks like others have charged successfully there since then. If you're going to spend more time in downtown and just want an L2 charge, the College Street Garage has worked well for me. I've had trouble at the Asheville Chamber of Commerce. One of the chargers is only 16A and even then it has issues. If you get the other one you should be okay. If you get the 16A one, dial it down to 14A or so.

Not sure how long you'll be gone, but if you're planning on returning before Dec 19th and you need a CHAdeMO to borrow, let me know. I'll need it on the 19th for my road trip.

Also of note, the Greenlots CHAdeMO stations in Asheville are artificially dialed back due to some sort of utility regulation or something. Currently running at about 20kw. Still much faster than a public L2 charger but don't plan on it being in the 40-50kw range like other CHAdeMO. This was another forum members image from charging at the Biltmore garage last week:

2015-11-26.jpg

Also of note, the Greenlots CHAdeMO stations in Asheville are artificially dialed back due to some sort of utility regulation or something. Currently running at about 20kw. Still much faster than a public L2 charger but don't plan on it being in the 40-50kw range like other CHAdeMO. This was another forum members image from charging at the Biltmore garage last week:

Probably not so much a regulation as a billing incentive.

Most business accounts pay a "Demand Charge" as well as an "Energy Charge." Demand Charges are for the peak kW used in the billing cycle (averaged over 15 min). The Nissan dealer in Boulder, CO has a CHAdeMO that is capable of 50 kW, but they have dialed it back to 20 kW to save over $300 per month in demand charges. I guess that 20 kW is still pretty good for a Leaf...

Probably not so much a regulation as a billing incentive.

Most business accounts pay a "Demand Charge" as well as an "Energy Charge." Demand Charges are for the peak kW used in the billing cycle (averaged over 15 min). The Nissan dealer in Boulder, CO has a CHAdeMO that is capable of 50 kW, but they have dialed it back to 20 kW to save over $300 per month in demand charges. I guess that 20 kW is still pretty good for a Leaf...

Of course it would be really nice to have it set to "smart charge" so that the rate depends on the rest of their demand.

Interesting. That is a recent change then because I charged my Leaf there in May 2015 and got much faster rates than that. Fastest charge I've ever gotten on my Leaf was there.

I got 13.7 kWh in 34 minutes but it was much faster in the first 10 minutes. I don't remember the max rate exactly but it was faster than 20 kw. I want to say high 30s almost 40 but its a vague memory and I didn't take pics of the charge rate. I know the time and kWh because I got that data in an email after the charge completed.

Oh and the price back then was $0.50 per kWh. I paid $6.81 for that charge session.

Last edited:
That charge session was me: ~20kw for just under an hour. There was a comment on plugshare about the 20kw being "because it was a Tesla" -- I have no idea whether that's accurate or not but thought I'd at least mention it. The CHAdeMO adapter and station worked fine for me the day before thanksgiving - I borrowed a greenlots RFID card from someone and that was a huge help as this is sort of a one-shot thing for me - the supercharger will undoubtedly be up by my next asheville trip.

Greenlots recently updated the description on plugshare to state:

2015-12-01_16-38-45.jpg

But it may be due to demand charges, though it seems odd they would reduce the rate there but not elsewhere with Duke Energy. I'd guess the demand charges would be the same in other locations with the same power provider?

Looks close to complete!

Pix from 12/5/2015 at 7:00 AM

It is certainly moving along! First I've seen of the solid enclosure. Looks like they will probably put something over what is there now for finish, not sure.

I'm sure opening depends on city inspections and Tesla testing. Looks like with a little cleanup they will be ready to go. The transformer seems to have all the brickwork complete around it. Looks like some landscaping work and simple cleanup remaining. Also, the shipping container is gone, so probably wrapping it up!

IMG_4121t.JPG
IMG_4120t.JPG
IMG_4119t.JPG
IMG_4117t.JPG
IMG_4114t.JPG
IMG_4115t.JPG
IMG_4116t.JPG