Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Asheville, NC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While it's great that Asheville is coming online soon, I'm a bit disappointed by the location. The stretch from Burlington to Asheville is already long. By putting it on the West side, it just means this is even more of a stretch to get there. Also, you have to cut down a few miles off of I-40 and back to get to it. Wish they would have put it somewhere directly off I-40 or even on I-240.

I'm happy it's coming nonetheless. :)

While it's great that Asheville is coming online soon, I'm a bit disappointed by the location. The stretch from Burlington to Asheville is already long. By putting it on the West side, it just means this is even more of a stretch to get there. Also, you have to cut down a few miles off of I-40 and back to get to it. Wish they would have put it somewhere directly off I-40 or even on I-240.

I'm happy it's coming nonetheless. :)

The best location I've seen yet is South Hill, VA. Literally in 30 to 60 seconds, consistently, you can be from the highway to the charger spot.

Burlington you have to go through circles and several lights, dodge a bunch of pedestrians, etc to get from I-40 to the chargers. You can slip around the back past Hobby Lobby and such if you're coming from the right direction, but that doesn't seem to save much time due to the annoying speed bumps on that route.

Woodbridge is the worst (if you don't count Bethesda). It took me 30 minutes to get from I-95 to the charger and 20 minutes to get back to I-95 from the charger before. I try to avoid it, even if it means a 100% charge at Newark of Glen Allen.

This Asheville location may actually be quicker to get to from I-40 than Burlington depending on where they put the stalls given that the mall lot is so close to I-26.

In any case, it'll be welcome. It'll make a shot up towards I-70 possible using just superchargers from my house. Currently it takes a stop at a CHAdeMO or RV park for a few hours to make the hop.

I'm just happy that it provides me a SpC option for a round-trip from Charlotte - Asheville. We are hoping to take a trip up there in late August - mid September, so we are still planning that if we go, we have to find other charging options. Thankfully, that likely wouldn't be too bad.

The best location I've seen yet is South Hill, VA. Literally in 30 to 60 seconds, consistently, you can be from the highway to the charger spot.

Burlington you have to go through circles and several lights, dodge a bunch of pedestrians, etc to get from I-40 to the chargers. You can slip around the back past Hobby Lobby and such if you're coming from the right direction, but that doesn't seem to save much time due to the annoying speed bumps on that route.

Woodbridge is the worst (if you don't count Bethesda). It took me 30 minutes to get from I-95 to the charger and 20 minutes to get back to I-95 from the charger before. I try to avoid it, even if it means a 100% charge at Newark of Glen Allen.

This Asheville location may actually be quicker to get to from I-40 than Burlington depending on where they put the stalls given that the mall lot is so close to I-26.

In any case, it'll be welcome. It'll make a shot up towards I-70 possible using just superchargers from my house. Currently it takes a stop at a CHAdeMO or RV park for a few hours to make the hop.

I believe the worst SC (as far as location) is the Savannah, GA one at the airport.

The new Supercharger permit found in Asheville, NC is at
800 Brevard Road, Asheville, NC​

See Google Maps: 800 Brevard Road, Asheville, NC for the location on Google Maps.

See Supercharger - Greenville, SC - Page 48 for info on the permit found by ThinkingAboutIt.

I have reason to believe that the information in Cottonwood's post is accurate. The location of the SCs will be at the Asheville Outlets off of I-26 at Brevard Road.
Information about construction progress can be obtained from local tesla and other EV owners who belong to the Blue Ridge EV Club. I was there today and there was nothing visible (except for the ChargePoint EVSE with two cables). I will be back there on September 13 for our local EV show (in conjunction with National Drive Electric Week) and plan to provide an update here.

I would bet (and vote) Statesville. It's closer to halfway between Asheville and Burlington, and probably more relevantly is right at the I-40/77 intersection.

Anywhere around there would be perfect. Just want a place where I can skip Burlington to get to the next supercharger yet it be close enough to Asheville that I don't have to spend a ton of time there either.

Anywhere around there would be perfect. Just want a place where I can skip Burlington to get to the next supercharger yet it be close enough to Asheville that I don't have to spend a ton of time there either.

Yeah, I like skipping Burlington on my NC->NJ trips: Drained P85D Battery to 0.4%! success!!

That's a little rough though from Hickory. From Statesville would be a piece of cake.

So, I vote for Hickory AND Statesville. :D Cover the I-40/I-77 interchange for those en route to I-81 in that area. Cover I-40/US-321 near Hickory for that interchange. Best of both worlds.

For Hickory they could get with the Valley Hills Mall, or the strip mall with Target, Best Buy, and a bunch of food places. There is a whole section of parking lot there that I never see used.

I think it's been found:

Supercharger - Greenville, SC - Page 48

Congratulations to ThinkingAboutIt. Very much looking forward to trying this one out!

Reposting that screenshot into this thread:

image.jpg

From Santee, SC it will be 208 miles to the Asheville SC. I'll need to get to max charge in Santee, which is only about 80 miles from my home in Charleston. Hmm, do I not bother filling up for the drive knowing I have to get full charge at Santee, or am I better off only needing about 100 miles at the Santee SC? Any advice for the techno-challenged Tesla enthusiast? I know you charge faster at the SC when you are not fully charged, but I believe the last 50 miles is painfully slow either way. Thoughts? This is a Good Problem :smile:.