Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Asheville, NC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For such a progressive city, I was surprised by the paucity of charging options.
Had to do serious planning once in Asheville to stay charged up. In my case it involved a daily park and walk situation that was not free.

"Where was this daily park location?"
It was in a Parking Garage about a 20 minute walk from the Condo.
Albemarle sounds nice (also love the dog friendly Grand Bohemian), but with 5 people, a Condo is way more practical.

Great turnout and crowd reaction to driving electric cars at the Asheville Outlets Drive Electric Week event today, September 13, 2015. There were a number Teslas, Leafs, Fords (BEV and PHEVs), BMW i3, Volts (including an Asheville Police Department Volt).

Unfortunately, I saw no sign whatsoever of any supercharger construction. (I wouldn't even describe this as a paucity of progress.)

I may take you up on that sometime. I'd love to take a trip to Asheville sometime and this would be helpful. Plus we can share details of our 'air circulators'!
For any Tesla owner headed out to Asheville (or anywhere for that matter) that passes by my house, you are welcome to borrow my CHAdeMO adapter. I'm right where I40 and I85 merge in Hillsborough, very close to the exit on both interstates. I'm on PlugShare under the same name (Zarwin) as well if you want to see where I am more specifically. I work from home, so I'm here pretty much all the time.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the info!
Yeah, you definitely have to stop in Burlington - at least for the places I've stayed which are either a little west or a little north of Asheville. The drive increases in elevation significantly and sucks a lot of miles as a result. Once I stayed at a house about 30 miles north of Asheville and got to the house with 4 miles of range left. The crazy part is I got to the beginning of the driveway with 9 miles left and lost 5 miles going up the very steep 1/4 mile driveway. I would definitely not make the trip without getting to at least 250 miles of rated range in Burlington.

This is why we need another supercharger around Hickory. Then you could drive there and charge for a few minutes before heading to Asheville instead of having to wait for slow charging in Burlington.

The note on the map says "Permit - 26 days". Is that saying Tesla has had a permit for 26 days or that the charging station will be available in 26 days?
This is going to be my favorite Supercharger. I can't wait to see the Blue ridge pkway via Tesla Model S P85.

It means they started the permitting process 26 days ago. Last I looked the permits were still not approved. It's uncertain when construction will actually begin. Once the permits are approved, they usually start pretty quickly.

I just drove up 321 to the Blue Ridge and took it all the way over to 21, then up 21 a ways to Sparta, then did the reverse. ~230 miles @ 299 Wh/mi in the P85D. So, some of the Blue Ridge is definitely doable already! :D

I'm constantly amazed at how efficient regen is. Going up some of those slopes suck the miles out of the battery very fast, but you seem to get them all back on the way back down. Would be nice if they had superchargers the whole way up the Blue Ridge :)

There's a CHAdeMO station at Asheville-Buncombe Technical College, which we used this week on a trip between Knoxville and Greenville SC. In Greenville we've used one of two available stations. Time is at least double that of a SuperCharger, but has made a two-day visit to the city very comfortable.

The best location I've seen yet is South Hill, VA. Literally in 30 to 60 seconds, consistently, you can be from the highway to the charger spot.

Burlington you have to go through circles and several lights, dodge a bunch of pedestrians, etc to get from I-40 to the chargers. You can slip around the back past Hobby Lobby and such if you're coming from the right direction, but that doesn't seem to save much time due to the annoying speed bumps on that route.

Woodbridge is the worst (if you don't count Bethesda). It took me 30 minutes to get from I-95 to the charger and 20 minutes to get back to I-95 from the charger before. I try to avoid it, even if it means a 100% charge at Newark of Glen Allen.

This Asheville location may actually be quicker to get to from I-40 than Burlington depending on where they put the stalls given that the mall lot is so close to I-26.

In any case, it'll be welcome. It'll make a shot up towards I-70 possible using just superchargers from my house. Currently it takes a stop at a CHAdeMO or RV park for a few hours to make the hop.
Are you still on Plugshare? I'm not seeing it.

One requirement fulfilled and 4 still left on the permit:

Conditions

Showing 1-5 of 5
Default - 4 Applied, 1 This conditions is resolved.

PAC

General Contractor Information
General Contractor
Applied | Required | 08/19/2015

General Contractor Signature
Authorized Constractor's Signature

Lien Agent Designation Form
G.S. 160A-417(d) (Effective April 1, 2013) No permit shall be issued pursuant to subdivision (1) of subsection (a) of this section where the cost of the work is thirty thousand dollars ($30,000) or more, other than for improvements to an existing single-family residential dwelling unit as defined in G.S. 87-15.5(7) that the applicant uses as a residence, unless the name, physical and mailing address, telephone number, facsimile number, and electronic mail address of the lien agent designated by the owner pursuant to G.S. 44A-11.1(a) is conspicuously set forth in the permit or in an attachment thereto. The building permit may contain the lien agent's electronic mail address. The lien agent information for each permit issued pursuant to this subsection shall be maintained by the inspection department in the same manner and in the same location in which it maintains its record of building permits issued.

Sub-Contractor Information Required
NEED SUB-CONTRACTOR INFORMATION INCLUDING STATE LICENSE NUMBER

RECORD ON HOLD
OUTSTANDING ITEMS TO BE ADDRESSED AS FOLLOWS:ARCHITECT ONLY SUBMITTED SITE PLANS, WILL RELEASE HOLD ON RECORD WHEN BUILDING PLANS ARE SUBMITTED, NO SITE REVIEW REQUIRED PER CHRIS COLLINS. ADC.
This conditions is resolved. | | 09/21/2015