Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Asheville, NC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some more permit approvals in the past few days. Looks like Building and Electrical are done. Waiting on "Permit Verification", whatever that is. The 4 required conditions are still awaiting resolution. Looks like they might not have selected the contractor yet.

Screen Shot 2015-09-29 at 8.39.53 PM.png

For an 85, very doable. Not so good for smaller batteries. The big climb is up Black Mtn near the end and then it's downhill from there. I've done it twice in 25F weather but you do need to manage your speed a bit since the limit is 70 mph for a good chunk of the drive.

Yes, it's doable, but requires a range charge in Burlington which is not fun. I haven't done it in cold weather. I'd think you have to be really careful in cold weather.

- - - Updated - - -

Do we believe this location is accurate on supercharger.info ?

I'm planning on being in the area in the future and was considering taking some pictures.

It's hard to know if the exact spot is right, but it will be somewhere in that shopping center. Asheville Outlets has parking on both sides. I don't think they've started anything because the permits are not fully approved yet.

Interestingly enough, my very first long trip with the Model S included Burlington -> Asheville and back.

Lots of pics and data in this post: Southern NJ to Central NC, then Asheville, and back - Page 4

Weather was *terrible*. Was in the 30s or lower the whole time, in the middle of an ice storm. You couldn't even really walk safely in the parking lot at the Burlington supercharger.

Notably, here is my SoC graph for the trip:

graphsouth-SOC.jpg

DE = Newark, DE
VA = Glen Allen, VA
NC = Burlington, NC
FAM = My family destination in NC that is east of Asheville a ways (about 1/3rd of the way).
J1772 = 6kW Charger at a Mercedes dealership in Asheville
(the rise in SoC before the last FAM) = J1772 charger at the Energy United office in Statesville, NC

And here is my speed graph:

graphsouth-speed.jpg

You can see I just took it pretty easy heading to Asheville and made it with plenty of charge to spare. I made it with 40% SoC, so even without the +15% I got at my family destination before heading back out I would have easily made it with 25% battery left. So, doable without a range charge in Burlington for sure.

Fortunately it warmed up substantially while my car was charging in Asheville, and that made the return trip a piece of cake (60s).

This was my very first long trip after buying the Model S, and it was probably some of the worst conditions possible. But it was done!

I'm with you. I'd have much preferred the supercharger near Statesville, NC. While I'm sure it can be done, Asheville is not in need of charging, as there are loads of J1772 and also some CHADEMO there.

This makes me wonder - is it at all better to get to Asheville via the Charlotte supercharger?? Doesn't seem like it, but others can weigh in: an extra ~40 miles out of the way. But it means you wouldn't have to arrive in Asheville on "fumes" and would have more of a buffer in the event of bad weather.
192 miles from Burlington SC, and uphill.

I'm with you. I'd have much preferred the supercharger near Statesville, NC. While I'm sure it can be done, Asheville is not in need of charging, as there are loads of J1772 and also some CHADEMO there.

This makes me wonder - is it at all better to get to Asheville via the Charlotte supercharger?? Doesn't seem like it, but others can weigh in: an extra ~40 miles out of the way. But it means you wouldn't have to arrive in Asheville on "fumes" and would have more of a buffer in the event of bad weather.

Agree that Statesville would be awesome, but having a SuperCharger in Asheville will be very helpful as well. Also, I think it's needed to get to the next SC in Tennessee as well. Hopefully they'll fill in the gap in Statesville some day.

As for going through Charlotte - that's what the trip planner always wants you to do. It's certain the safe route and probably the only way to make it in extreme weather, but it does add quite a bit of time to the trip.

Agree that Statesville would be awesome, but having a SuperCharger in Asheville will be very helpful as well. Also, I think it's needed to get to the next SC in Tennessee as well. Hopefully they'll fill in the gap in Statesville some day.

As for going through Charlotte - that's what the trip planner always wants you to do. It's certain the safe route and probably the only way to make it in extreme weather, but it does add quite a bit of time to the trip.

The first time I did the Burlington to Asheville leap I range charged in Burlington, drove no faster than 63-65, ran the heat in very small bursts and arrived with either 45 or 50 rated miles left. That was in 25F weather. It was my first road trip so I was cautious. The second time I nearly range charged (didn't wait for that extra 5 miles), drove around the speed limit, and came in around 20 miles.

Definitely not worth the detour to Charlotte, faster to moderate speed even if there's a head wind.

Definitely not worth the detour to Charlotte, faster to moderate speed even if there's a head wind.

If you can start with an overnight, full charge in Burlington, I agree with you.

However, if you have to Supercharge in Burlington, then I beg to differ.

Let's do some round numbers. The extra driving time through Charlotte is about 30 minutes. However, the time to do a near range charge in Burlington for the direct route is about 1:30, while the time to charge in Burlington and Charlotte (with margin) is 30 minutes or less each. That means the total time is about a wash (1:30 charging vs 2x30 charging + 30 extra driving). Add to that, that you can drive faster and less conservatively on the two charge route with more ability to handle weather concerns, and I prefer driving to charging, I would probably take the longer route.

If you can start with an overnight, full charge in Burlington, I agree with you.

However, if you have to Supercharge in Burlington, then I beg to differ.

Let's do some round numbers. The extra driving time through Charlotte is about 30 minutes. However, the time to do a near range charge in Burlington for the direct route is about 1:30, while the time to charge in Burlington and Charlotte (with margin) is 30 minutes or less each. That means the total time is about a wash (1:30 charging vs 2x30 charging + 30 extra driving). Add to that, that you can drive faster and less conservatively on the two charge route with more ability to handle weather concerns, and I prefer driving to charging, I would probably take the longer route.

For what it's worth, I live in Asheville and my daughter goes to school in Durham. We regularly make the trip from Asheville in one of two Models S (P85+[now 55k miles], and 85 [now 20k miles]). We range charge at home leaving with between 255 and 265 depending on the car. Arrive at Burlington with between 35 and 70 miles left (depending on temp, weather, driving habits, and whatever else affects range). I usually set the cruise between 70 and 75. We never use the Charlotte SC for this trip as it seems unnecessary (IMHO). But we use it often when travelling to around Charlotte for travel soccer.

At Burlington we'll usually charge back to about 230, then go to Durham and back (70 miles), and then charge again at Burlington to about 250 and leave for Asheville. We live on the west side of Asheville so it is about 198 miles. We usually arrive at home in Asheville with between 20 and 40 miles in the tank (so to say). Coming up the hill can make your blood pressure go up on the first couple trips, but now I don't even think about any limits.

As a side note, the Asheville SC is right around the corner from me, so it unfortunately is useless for me, but neat to see them getting that going. It will be a good link to Knoxville. Easily make it from Asheville to Knoxville.

I wholeheartedly agree, that it would be fantastic if they put another SC between Asheville and Burlington. Anyone just coming through for the first time would certainly bite their nails on the westbound trip. Kind of funny it always tries to route through Charlotte (which to me is a waste).

Anyway, hope that helps to fill out the picture in some way.

I'll try to post construction pix of the Asheville SC once it gets underway.

I'll try to post construction pix of the Asheville SC once it gets underway.

Please do.

I've close friends in Newland, NC, so I have been hoping this SpC can get rolling. So far, the trip from Cleveland is quite awkward. But even more problematic was no destination charging as I arrived. So the Asheville SpC certainly has my attention.

Thanks in advance...

The permit for the Asheville supercharger has been issued as of today, 10/16/2015! Now we need some folks to do some sleuthing in the area to look for signs of construction. I won't be in the area any time soon.

Screen Shot 2015-10-16 at 3.25.05 PM.png