Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Aulac, NB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A Model 3 test vehicle has been reported using the adapter to charge at Chademo chargers in the Atlantic provinces. It’s not a question of if, merely a question of when.

Since the Chademo chargers aren’t meant to be exclusively used by Tesla, I doubt NS Power or Flo would be interested in shelling out for a Tesla adapter for each station. I’d also be concerned about theft since there’s no practical way to secure those adapters at each site.
I can see two practical approaches though.
1) User/owner loaning. I already loan my Chademo adapter out to Tesla owners who need it for occasional trips, and I know there’s an Ontario Tesla club that has a lending program in place to do the same.
2) alternatively, the tourism board has a visitor information center at the NS/NB boarder. I’ll wager a program for renting/loaning out Tesla adapters could be put in place so that people visiting the province could borrow an adapter for the duration of their stay, and return it when leaving the province. I don’t know whether the office could purchase the adapters directly, or if they would require them to be donated, but either way it would be simple to do.

That is a pretty wicked idea. For a small daily fee (and a healthy deposit refunded when you return it) that would make travelling across Nova Scotia a lot less stressful for Tesla owners because I think it will be a long time before there are Superchargers anywhere but the highway to Halifax.

Reactions: Moncton S85
That is a pretty wicked idea. For a small daily fee (and a healthy deposit refunded when you return it) that would make travelling across Nova Scotia a lot less stressful for Tesla owners because I think it will be a long time before there are Superchargers anywhere but the highway to Halifax.
I think an informal CHAdeMO loaning program would be a good idea, maybe a $50 fee to be a member (free if you have a CHAdeMO that you're willing to loan out) with 100% of membership funds going to the purchase of a new adapter every 10-12 new members.

I think an informal CHAdeMO loaning program would be a good idea, maybe a $50 fee to be a member (free if you have a CHAdeMO that you're willing to loan out) with 100% of membership funds going to the purchase of a new adapter every 10-12 new members.
Club Tesla Quebec already have a loan program for Chademo Adapter. it's free if you are a member a of the club (50$ per year)

The only fly in the ointment is how do we get to adapter to someone coming into NS? We’d need a spot near the border, or at one of the Supercharger locations (Aulac or Enfield when it’s online), plus a way to get the knowledge out to people. It’s easy for those of us here on TMC, but not all Tesla owners are.

Does anyone know the approximate cost of a supercharger and would Irving share in the cost of building the chargers at Aulac,NB. Would Irving’s Big Stop property taxes go up because of assessment value increasing beach use of adding Tesla superchargers?

A few years back the estimated cost of supercharge locations was USD$300,000.

Now they build them with more stalls.

I also think (personally, for reasons I can't even remember) that the real cost is/was higher, even with only 8 stalls.

Currently plugged in and charging and everything is working GREAT. All alone here at 9-10pm ADT. The restaurant is your typical Canadian fare. That is not meant as a compliment :), but you can't really expect any better at a gas station restaurant. It is edible so it could be much worse. They have free wifi which works well so that is nice. I'm much more dependent on that in Canada. I can still tether to my phone but I get throttled horribly after a ridiculously low amount of data. Like half a gig or something.

Now I just need to find some place to charge a little around Halifax and then later some place to charge between Aulac and RDL. I'm not going to cross the border twice just to be able to supercharge at Brewer. Besides I just did that drive and while I made it on one shot, it was not fun to have to charge to near 100% and go without a/c for 3 hours.

• Informative
Reactions: madmax240
Currently plugged in and charging and everything is working GREAT. All alone here at 9-10pm ADT. The restaurant is your typical Canadian fare. That is not meant as a compliment :), but you can't really expect any better at a gas station restaurant. It is edible so it could be much worse. They have free wifi which works well so that is nice. I'm much more dependent on that in Canada. I can still tether to my phone but I get throttled horribly after a ridiculously low amount of data. Like half a gig or something.

Now I just need to find some place to charge a little around Halifax and then later some place to charge between Aulac and RDL. I'm not going to cross the border twice just to be able to supercharge at Brewer. Besides I just did that drive and while I made it on one shot, it was not fun to have to charge to near 100% and go without a/c for 3 hours.
Irving Big stops use to be good eating, is the lighting good @ stalls?

Thanks guys. I do have a Chademo but ended up skipping NS due to lack of lodging. It was kind of a last minute decision to try to go there anyway and when there was no place reasonable to stay on this holiday weekend, so I just decided to head west and I'm now staying at a hotel with a HPWC in Fredericton, so that will get me through to RDL tomorrow.

Irving Big stops use to be good eating, is the lighting good @ stalls?
Lighting was good.

I had the Philly cheese steak and it was actually pretty decent once I asked them to hold the BBQ sauce (what in the hell?) and mushrooms. Others seemed to like their food, so who knows, maybe it will grow on me. Each BIG Stop has a map of all their locations and it sure would be nice if they all got superchargers! Would really fill out NB, NS and northern Maine :)

Reactions: madmax240
Lighting was good.

I had the Philly cheese steak and it was actually pretty decent once I asked them to hold the BBQ sauce (what in the hell?) and mushrooms. Others seemed to like their food, so who knows, maybe it will grow on me. Each BIG Stop has a map of all their locations and it sure would be nice if they all got superchargers! Would really fill out NB, NS and northern Maine :)
Have you tried touring any of the other Big Stops, all of which might have Superchargers soon?

Have you tried touring any of the other Big Stops, all of which might have Superchargers soon?
I just stopped at the one on the QC/NB border. It wasn't quite as nice, but tons of space in the parking lot!

No signs of construction at the one in Baileyville, ME. Looks like a nice spot though.

Plugged in at RdL now. Surprisingly there was a black X with QC plates already at the supercharger. First Tesla I've seen since Massachusetts.

RdL is pretty well used, and in my experience, pretty unreliable. Are you getting a good charge rate?
Yup, all good. Shot up to 115kW when I plugged in with 15% SoC and I just went back out to check on it and still getting 100kW with 200 Rated Miles already on the battery. That's about 60% SoC on my Model S100D.

My only complaint is that the car doesn't have an internet connection here so I had to physically go out there to check on it rather than checking on my phone with the app.

Reactions: rypalmer