Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Barrie, ON (2nd site on Bayfield St)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Warning! Both chargers are not on the same street. They have similar names, but are not the same.
Barrie North Supercharger (20): Bayfield St
Barrie South Supercharger (8): Bayview Dr (N Village Way)

Nah. I imagine they just have a very well established process for shipping, delivery, and build that compacts the schedule. It's just a matter of logistical efficiency.
Yes. I drive past there every morning, get my groceries at the Loblaws in that location every other week, and get my coffee in that same plaza often enough. I was at the Kelsey's 3 Fridays ago (just double-checked my transaction history on my account).

Either that, or you were on Level 5 autopilot! ;)

But how many are technically in "La Ville de Montreal"? I think only Place Vertu. Only that one and the one planned for DDO are even on the island of Montreal and DDO seems to not be part of the city.

Plus Montreal has what 4M people in the metro area. So even if we assume an average of 12 chargers per site that gives 60 for 4M or 1 charger for every 16,667 people. In Barrie it is 28 chargers for 141,000 ( the Barrie metro area is a bit bigger at around 200,000) but that is 1 charger for every 7000 people.
It’s all a matter of semantics. One could say Markham is not really Toronto either. After all, there was talk of putting a second NHL team there a few years ago. That will never happen by the way.
What about Oakville and Vaughan? Are they really part of Toronto too?
In my opinion, a city is defined by its geographical metropolitan region and yes, Brossard and DDO are considered to be Montreal as is Laval and the Terrebonne SC sites.
You could argue that the Bronx and Brooklyn are not part of NY because they are not on Manhattan.
One could also say that greater Toronto is basically a suburb of Montreal since the November 1976 exodus of people following Rene Levesque’s election victory!

This chat is REALLY making the rounds - someone's already posted it on PlugShare. It's my main source!

I'm not sure if the person who added that is reading this thread but fortunately that incorrect marker has been deleted now. Why someone would post an inactive supercharger as an active HPWC I have no idea. Plugshare imports superchargers and destination chargers directly from Tesla so there is no need to rush in and add incorrect information to Plugshare as an attempt to be first!

Reactions: jbcarioca
I'm not sure if the person who added that is reading this thread but fortunately that incorrect marker has been deleted now. Why someone would post an inactive supercharger as an active HPWC I have no idea. Plugshare imports superchargers and destination chargers directly from Tesla so there is no need to rush in and add incorrect information to Plugshare as an attempt to be first!
It's because there is no option on Plugshare to create Tesla Supercharger sites. It's locked down - presumably there's a connection to source the info directly from Tesla's map, or only Tesla staff can add/edit Superchargers on Plugshare.

New SC sites should not be posted on Plugshare, unless you work for Tesla and that's your job.

Reactions: Chuq
I know some of the operators on PlugShare and one of them told me that users are not allowed to add SuCs until someone has officially integrated the location Find Us | Tesla Canada and on your car's map. Some chargers like the one in Lévis, were functional a week or two before they were put on the site but were put as RESTRICTED by the operators like they have also done with Barrie North. They will put is as public when Tesla integrates the location on its maps. P.S. I didn't add that location on the site it was added as soon as the chat here got started.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow - does that make Barrie the first municipality to have two SCs? All before there is even one SC within 100km of our nation's capital.

Strange that this is a priority over all of the other locations?

Prob not strange. Largest population centre is Toronto. Probably large numbers of Tesla owners drive north to Muskoka weekly. I have never seen the first Barrie location full, but have only been there a few times. Maybe it was getting busy. Maybe they're just planning for the Model 3.

Barrie is kind of mid-way between the GTA and Muskoka and is also on the way to the Collingwood ski areas. I have had had to wait in line at the existing Barrie Supercharger on weekend cottage runs to Muskoka, and otherwise usually find it at or near capacity when I'm there. Way and by far the busiest Supercharger site I've personally been to. I think Tesla is just responding to demand here.

Weird.

I have never seen the first Barrie location full, but I'm not a Muskoka weekender (although I did head up one weekend and, again, didn't find this station full or even near full).

The busiest supercharger I have ever used from Toronto to Chicago to Tampa to Brewer, Maine, is--by far--the Toronto Lawrence East superchargers. (I didn't have home charging for the first year I had my Model S--lived in a condo.) It's the only station I've ever waited in line for and the only one I've ever given up on and left. I did both more than a few times.

All the need to get there is a couple of SCs in NB - and NB installed a bunch of L3 chargers this past summer so that is very doable.

If you're wondering about Toronto to PEI, talk to @rypalmer. He has done it a million times.

The only thing we really need is 1 station in Woodstock NB, but 2 between Riviere-du-Loup and Moncton would be better.

The "Level 3" stations that NB Power installed this summer are adequate but only barely. Travelling on Chademo is PAINFUL compared to superchargers. Don't expect to get much over (and sometimes not even) 40kW out of Chademo.

Reactions: rypalmer
Prob not strange. Largest population centre is Toronto. Probably large numbers of Tesla owners drive north to Muskoka weekly. I have never seen the first Barrie location full, but have only been there a few times. Maybe it was getting busy. Maybe they're just planning for the Model 3.
I am well aware that lots of folks are going up to the cottage but that doesn't necessarily mean that they will stop at Barrie. For one thing it is kind of close to Toronto - only about 80km or so. The second thing is that the round trip from Toronto - Muskoka - Toronto isn't all that far and if you are farther you are likely near Huntsville. It would make more sense to get groceries in Huntsville at the Metro and plug in the SC there for a bit. Another thing is that if you will be at your cottage for 48 hours or so then you can destination charge at the cottage - even at a charge rate of 5km/h you can pretty much recharge and if I had a cottage I would install a 240V/30A outlet for charging which should be plenty for a destination charger.

• Informative
Reactions: sakimano and 5YJSA
I am well aware that lots of folks are going up to the cottage but that doesn't necessarily mean that they will stop at Barrie. For one thing it is kind of close to Toronto - only about 80km or so. The second thing is that the round trip from Toronto - Muskoka - Toronto isn't all that far and if you are farther you are likely near Huntsville. It would make more sense to get groceries in Huntsville at the Metro and plug in the SC there for a bit. Another thing is that if you will be at your cottage for 48 hours or so then you can destination charge at the cottage - even at a charge rate of 5km/h you can pretty much recharge and if I had a cottage I would install a 240V/30A outlet for charging which should be plenty for a destination charger.

Correct. We have two Teslas going back and forth to Bracebridge area many weekends and rarely do we stop in Barrie. I have stopped when pulling the trailer with the X and when we have forgotten to turn up the charge on the S especially in the winter. It sure is nice to have Barrie supercharger there just in case. I just finished installing a dual HPWC sharing a 50A breaker at our cottage. I need to install another 50A plug at my Mom's place next door for her new Bolt. My sister has her Volt up there sometimes and we have a Volt as well so there could potentially be 5 EV's charging at once! I hope our transformer can handle 100A continuous.

I suspect that Barrie gets a lot of surge traffic summer long weekends. With SCs they need to plan for the peak demand, not the mean.

I'm sure this is in anticipation of the raft of M3s heading up to cottage country. Tesla knows where their M3 reservations are coming from, and with the pile of S/Xs out there they can probably predict geographic demand for SCs fairly well.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
The busiest supercharger I have ever used from Toronto to Chicago to Tampa to Brewer, Maine, is--by far--the Toronto Lawrence East superchargers.

Right. I was excluding that station because a) it is in a stupid spot and is often filled with service cars and b) I understand it is to be decommissioned and replaced by another site somewhere nearby. But for me, Barrie is right behind and I've traveled extensively in the US (especially mid-west) myself too.

I am well aware that lots of folks are going up to the cottage but that doesn't necessarily mean that they will stop at Barrie. For one thing it is kind of close to Toronto - only about 80km or so.

Right now, Muskoka is a public charger wasteland. My buddy's cottage that I go to does not have anything other than a 120v outlet. I can easily make it there on a charge, and with a little 120v love, to Barrie on the way back. Day trippers to ski country may face the same issue...only needing it one way, but needing it nonetheless.

And not everyone is coming from the "center of the universe" I have friends from the Waterloo Region who regularly go to Muskoka.

Reactions: RedAntisocial