Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Burlington, WA - Marketplace Dr. (LIVE Jun 2023, 16 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh, I'm not – I still consider it to be a pipe dream; but if that's their goal, this isn't gonna cut it.
actualmdislemse=Actually dispense. Ugh.

I don't think it's their goal. It's a number that carries weight when thrown around. No one pays attention to the "capable" part, just the 1mw part. Everyone is now running around going V4 is going to dispense 1mw. To what car that is capable of receiving 1mw? There are no cars being built that are 1mw capable to having charging that is 1mw capable is pointless. But the internet loves it... And people will buy Teslas thinking they can charge their 80kwh battery in 5 minutes or less. Then come on here and complain about how slow charging is...

• Funny
Reactions: Moorebid
actualmdislemse=Actually dispense. Ugh.

I don't think it's their goal. It's a number that carries weight when thrown around. No one pays attention to the "capable" part, just the 1mw part. Everyone is now running around going V4 is going to dispense 1mw. To what car that is capable of receiving 1mw? There are no cars being built that are 1mw capable to having charging that is 1mw capable is pointless. But the internet loves it... And people will buy Teslas thinking they can charge their 80kwh battery in 5 minutes or less. Then come on here and complain about how slow charging is...
Exactly, it's the typical overpromise/underdeliver paradigm… somebody didn't attend the Montgomery Scott School of Engineering. 😏

I could see the Semi getting close under optimum conditions (what do you mean I can't just plug it in after letting it sit overnight in sub-freezing conditions and get instantly-peak performance?!); otherwise, not even the Cybertruck is going to have the capacity necessary to distribute that amount of power to that number of cells/bricks.

But, who knows – solid state might be just around the corner. :rolleyes:

Tesla has already published the spec for a megawatt backwards compatible Tesla connector. The CyberTruck has already been confirmed to handle megawatt charging as of the Semi release event, if they are shipping this year (in limited quantities) than having at least a few of the more powerful chargers in the only country building CTs would be smart.

Tesla has already published the spec for a megawatt backwards compatible Tesla connector. The CyberTruck has already been confirmed to handle megawatt charging as of the Semi release event, if they are shipping this year (in limited quantities) than having at least a few of the more powerful chargers in the only country building CTs would be smart.
Megawatt-"class" (read: 1000V-architecture) charging, sure; but unless they're putting the Semi's battery pack in the CT, all that current( read: 1000A)'s got nowhere to go (unless they want to egregiously bump the C-rate per cell, which… knowing Tesla, I wouldn't put it past them)…

…which returns us to the original question: "Would 2000A (600A per cabinet) be enough for 16 V4 dispensers?" "Not if they hope to push a megawatt per dispenser" – this is only potentially good for 2 vehicles at a time (and only with sufficient power sharing between cabinets), leaving nothing for the rest.

Thus… pipe dream.

Exactly, it's the typical overpromise/underdeliver paradigm… somebody didn't attend the Montgomery Scott School of Engineering. 😏

I could see the Semi getting close under optimum conditions (what do you mean I can't just plug it in after letting it sit overnight in sub-freezing conditions and get instantly-peak performance?!); otherwise, not even the Cybertruck is going to have the capacity necessary to distribute that amount of power to that number of cells/bricks.

But, who knows – solid state might be just around the corner. :rolleyes:
They are not over promising. They are just quoting what the specs are capable of. What the hype machine does with those specs and how the average consumer interprets the hype is where we run into trouble. Should Tesla state the actual real world specs and not just the capabilities so the hype machine can’t run with them as they do? Probably but then they wouldn’t benefit from the hype.

Reactions: Big Earl
They are not over promising. They are just quoting what the specs are capable of. What the hype machine does with those specs and how the average consumer interprets the hype is where we run into trouble. Should Tesla state the actual real world specs and not just the capabilities so the hype machine can’t run with them as they do? Probably but then they wouldn’t benefit from the hype.
Thus the double-edged sword of hype – puffs up that bubble of hope/expectations, only to have to pop it later. Sure, they can always use the disclaimer "*Up to…" – and as long as there's a product on the market that can reasonably approach that metric, they're safe enough (much like EA with their "Up to 350kW" chargers – if you're plugging into a Hummer; anything else, forget about it – not even the Lucid Air can get there); otherwise, they ride a fine line between aspirational goals and false advertising… eventually hype has to meet reality, and the mob gets more and more fickle.

When they pushed the 250kW charging at the V3 release event in Hawthorne it was supposed to do 1000 MPH, and I still get that at most V3s around the country 4 years later, I often see 255kW charging for the first few minutes. It doesn't do it for long, but that's because it's charging so fast. If I stop at 55% and head to the next Supercharger it's actually incredibly fast the whole time.

This may seem like hype on the new chargers but no reason to downplay it until we have used it in practical situations. It'll probably play out like the V3's did. The 10% of us with Model 3's were super happy with it and the 2013 Model S owners were upset that they couldn't make any more use of it than the old 120kW chargers.

I mean, it's fun to think what they did with the new technology, and there can be good ideas that they may have thought up along with bad mistakes they could have made, but realize we just don't know until we know.

So, regarding V3 vs V4, I don’t think V3 will be upgradable to V4 even though the cabinets are the same. The wiring to the charging posts is different for V3 (smaller). This is from the electrical plans for an upcoming site in Vacaville, CA. 475A (600 kcmil) vs 350A (350 kcmil). I had not noticed this on earlier plans. There is also 6 gauge LVDC wiring to the alternate posts from the cabinets. Interesting to see what that will enable.

Based on this. Current V3 is limited to 290kw per stall (480 x 1.73 x 350) while the V4 alternate post could get to 395kw (480 x 1.73 x 475). Yes there is a DC bus between cabinets but unless there are some upratings allowed due to cooler temperatures underground, the wiring to the actual charging posts would be the limiting factor.

1678673385781.png

Wonder how they'll build that configuration in concrete at the factory. Could this be the new config to make cord length work for CCS cars?

I think it’ll help with cars that have charge ports in the wrong place, but I think it’s primarily a move to prevent ICEing. People are less likely to ICE stalls if they have to squeeze in between the pedestals to park. Unlikely that they’ll build a prefab setup for this.

I think it’ll help with cars that have charge ports in the wrong place, but I think it’s primarily a move to prevent ICEing. People are less likely to ICE stalls if they have to squeeze in between the pedestals to park. Unlikely that they’ll build a prefab setup for this.
So if your port is too far back on the right side you can take up 3 stalls? Will be interesting to see how this works. Great for trailering although tight. Similar to Petaluma, CA.

Reactions: rpo