TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharger - Carlsbad (permit found, construction not started yet)

Discussion in 'California Supercharger locations' started by emupilot, Aug 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. emupilot

emupilot Active Member

While doing a routine Google search I found the permit for the Carlsbad supercharger in their July permit report. It is permit number CBC2017-0392, submitted July 28th and under review. It is in the parking lot of The Shoppes, 2525 El Camino Real.

Google Maps

• Like x 3
  2. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

#2 ecarfan, Aug 10, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    Nice find! I have updated the thread title.

The site address shown in the permit is 2525 EL CAMINO REAL, CARLSBAD CA which is just a minute off I5 on Hwy 78, as your Google map link makes clear.

(In the document you linked to there are also 8 different permits for Tesla Powerwall installations one of which is with solar panels not tiles, and 2 for Tesla HPC installations)

• Informative x 1
  3. Gregsbeach

Gregsbeach Member

This is GREAT news. Nice find!

4. commasign

commasign Active Member

Legoland!!! This is great as we can skip SJC and avoid having to detour to San Diego to get a charge.

5. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

• Like x 1
  6. bkp_duke

bkp_duke Member

Gonna see if I can drive by this afternoon and do a little hunting for this.

7. emupilot

emupilot Active Member

I don't think you are likely to find any construction so soon, but you can check for pavement markings etc.

8. bkp_duke

bkp_duke Member

Yep, I know the drill. Not my first rodeo.

• Like x 4
    • Funny x 1
  9. Lex13

Lex13 Member

Awesome find emupilot. Thank you thank you! As a Bay Area resident that grew up in San Diego, I couldn't be happier with this Supercharger. I can skip the SC at Qualcomm and almost all of LA area SC's when heading back to Bay Area.

10. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

Carlsbad, CA

Along Interstates: I-5
    Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): None
    Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

To: San Clemente, CA - 26.5 miles
    Diversion: 3 miles
    To: San Juan Capistrano, CA - 53.8 miles

Temecula, CA (u,CA-76,I-15,CA-79): 33.5 miles
    San Diego, CA (u,I-5,I-805,u): 24.6 miles
    San Clemente, CA (CA-78,I-5): 26.5 miles

So, this one should make the San Diego Supercharger less popular, at least at times when the stalls aren't occupied by locals or ICEd. Right?

Data from Supercharge.info; mapping Supercharge.info and Google Maps.

11. Psrenv

Psrenv Member

Great! I actually just did some asbestos/lead survey in that mall. Contact says Sears is coming down, some sort of virtual golf thingy being put in and a huge parking structure in that area.

12. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

Interesting that this install is only valued at $150,000, I wonder how many stall it will be.

That makes me think that Tesla has dropped the cost almost in half.

13. smilepak

smilepak Active Member

Very nice find! Great spot for those who can advoid SJC or Qualcomm

14. 4SUPER9

4SUPER9 Supporting Member

It seems that this value is on par with other permit valuations. It is possible that this is the minimum cost that they could get away with, and not necessarily true costs, in an effort to keep property taxes to a minimum.

15. Lex13

Lex13 Member

Yes right, especially for those of us heading north on I-5 to LA and beyond. San Diego SC at Qualcomm is a bit off I-5 and there's not a whole lot around. When I was there over Memorial Day weekend, there were quite a few local Model X's car service charging. They had valet setup and there was a line 4-5 deep mid afternoon.

16. * Powered

* Powered Member

This will be ideal. It appeared the the Carlsbad SC was going to be further South with another one located in Vista. For commuters going to Escondido and a few other cities along the I15 this is great news. A quick top off will allow for complete avoidance of the south orange county scs...I drive from central Orange County twice a week and a full charge on my MX 90D leaves me with 10-20 miles of rated range when I get home. This makes the card dead for the evening... Another SC at the I15 and 78 Interchange would cover most SD to Inland Empire, OC, and LA county routes.

17. bkp_duke

bkp_duke Member

Drove by yesterday and did some scouting. There is a LOT of construction going on at this mall, with at least 4 separate staging grounds in the parking lot.

Wife and kids were impatient and didn't want to stay longer, but I did not see as of yet any ground markings (easy to miss, however), and in the 4 fenced-off staging areas there was no equipment marked with Tesla markings.

I'll make a repeat visit, sans the impatient family, in a week or so and do a more thorough hunt.