Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Centralia, WA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Charged up here today, worked great! 88kw then tapered down to about 40kw as I got to about 85% or so. Also noticed that there is a 480v to 240/120 transformer and a 120volt plug on the side of the wood cage. This transformer looked to be about 20kva which would work for a Roadster hpc if Tesla wanted to install one there. Had breakfast at the Country Cousin, it was surprisingly good food and fast service. Went from 91 miles to 235 over breakfast, maybe 35 minutes.

I'm sorry I missed all you guys. I Supercharged there twice yesterday. We put on lots of fun miles.

One of the more interesting stops was the "24 Hours of LeMons" race that is going on at The Ridge Motorsports Park in Shelton. That was a great reminder about the beautiful simplicity of the Model S. I did see a $500 Mini-Cooper get its engine swapped out in 2 hours with minimal equipment, but what a mess! I just smiled as they pulled out their timing light and started fussing.

As we drove into the paddock the Model S took attention away from the race and the wrenching. Cameras popped out along with lots of smiles and plenty of thumbs-ups. It was fun reading lips!

There are indeed 10 stations...
IMG_0305.JPG

And some curious police officers. They'd seen the stations being constructed, and were wondering what all the fuss was about. After explaining about the car, and it's capabilities, the officer in front was seriously thinking about the possibility of a Tesla police cruiser.
IMG_0302.JPG

There was also a Tesla engineer (Hank), who was attempting to inspect the setup - the contractors had not set the combination locks to the access panels, correctly, so he had to give up. Flew in from Palo Alto, just for that, had to turn back. But we did have some good conversations, including a woman who'd been waiting for her family - she was fascinated by the cars and the whole setup.

I always try to remember that most people will judge the car by it's owners, so I always try to make time for questions (or even rides!).

Daytrip to Portland (from Seattle) a total success due to these being installed! On the way home, pulled in with 6 miles left, had 180 in the time it took us to eat some teriyaki. Max charge rate observed:
ChargeRate_TeslaCentraliaSupercharger.png

(Also, unlike boiling water, a watched car *does* charge)
Victory!
SuperchargerSuperBrian.jpg

I was also there on Sunday while Hank - the engineer from Tesla was there. Very cool because at one point there were 6 Teslas charging at the same time. Mine is the red one :). There has been much posted about the "pairing" of the charging stations but Hank said every installation is different. That is - there is no guarantee that that they are paired 1/5, 2/6, 3/7, etc. If he could get access, and if there weren't a bunch a people trying to get a charge he was going to turn off all he transformers(?), turn on 1 on at time, do a continuity check to check which 2 stations it was feeding, then label them as 1a/1b, 2a/2b, etc. Hopefully in a month or so you will see the stations labelled.

I had originally pulled in and starting charging at the 6th from the left, was pulling 107 Amps. Doug was on the 2nd. Just for giggles, I moved my car the the 5th and it was only pulling 88 A. There was no car on #1. Then I moved it back to #6 and it was pulling 107 A again.

It was great to have a Tesla engineer there to answer questions! Other tidbits:
- he will be coming through the upgrade the transformers to 120 kW
- they will eventually be smart enough to distribute the power more evenly and fairly - giving more juice to the car with the lower battery

I also had him drive my car because I felt like there was excessive vibration in the steering wheel from the road. Just wanted to confirm that it wasn't just me. He said there is definitely too much vibration and that I should take it in.
2013-07-21 15.02.59.jpg

So the signs indicate that ICEs can park there for up to 30min? Must have been some comprise with local officials or something. Great to see them up though.

Sure like someone going to stop by and caulk the tires and start the timer clock I think the change in Burlington was to meet the new WA State Law, City Inspector enforced.

Laws and Regulations

Plug-In Electric Vehicle (PEV) Charging Signage and Parking Regulations

A PEV charging station must be indicated by vertical signage that properly identifies the station and indicates that it is only for PEV charging. The signage must be consistent with the U.S. Federal Highway Administration's Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices, and the station must be indicated by green pavement markings. A PEV charging station is defined as a public or private parking space that is served by charging equipment with the primary purpose of transferring electric energy to a battery or other energy storage device in a PEV. Any person who parks a vehicle in a PEV charging station parking space and does not connect to the equipment is subject to a fine of $124. (Reference Senate Bill 5849, 2013, and Revised Code of Washington 46.08)

@brian, lol. First thing i thought of when I read that.

There are a lot of charging stations that don't meet the RCW.

Now, one thing that confuses me, do I have to paint the floor of my garage green? The law does say "private"...