Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Deming, NM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
94DC45EF-3DF0-4A31-A96C-275129FE67ED.jpeg

I spoke with the Tesla engineer that turned this on two days ago and he was very happy with the power. I can see why—it’s right across the street from a big substation.

Woo hoo. Now with little care we can go transcontinental on a southern route in cars with the larger battery sizes (85, 90 and 100 kWh). Ft Stockton will close the I-10 gap and Willcox will open it up for the smaller batteried vehicles.
Getting close!

Welcome to Tucson BigHorn. Hope you are treated well. Glad to hear you made it to Tucson with range to spare, any tips? And what is your 100% charge these days?
Thanks for the warm welcome. I left with 100% which has been 238/239 depending how long I wait. The trip was 201 miles but ultimately showed as 205 on my odometer because of my lessened tire diameter.

My quick and dirty rule of thumb in my situation is 2 miles per %SOC so I started off with a very slight anticipated deficit. I spent the first half of the trip building a buffer because I saw there was significant climbing but an ultimate net descent. (3900 up and 5300 down IIRC) I-10 was very good today in that the right lane was almost exclusively trucks going 70, so I could join in and not be an impediment. I was also fortunate to have 5-12 MPH tailwinds. I was able to keep my consumption around 250 Wh/m on the flats so I could drive with traffic in the latter stretches once I had a sufficient buffer. Finished with a trip average of 265 Wh/m.

Interestingly, based on choosing different models on evtripplanner, cars have gotten significantly more efficient. My car with 19s was supposed to consume ~59kWh while the P100D was only 50. The 100D wasn’t listed but I imagine it’s quite a bit nicer still!

Thanks Bighorn- good info- and the winds can indeed be good or bad - I've only done a few long trips, and I've found evtripplanner to be quite useful in the planning stage. We just use the on board Nav from there and watch the predicted usage pretty carefully until we're sure we can make the next Supercharger.

Reactions: Bighorn
Even with Deming operational my S90D wants me to go through Flagstaff on a trip from Hilton Head to Phoenix. I don't know if Wilcox will be enough to go a southern route or if I will need Pecos or Ft. Stockton for the car to be happy.
Fort Stockton is the likely hang up for your routing. I got around it by diverting to Midland, though you may not want to do that. Deming to Tucson shouldn’t concern you as I made it easily and you have a couple great RV options in Willcox if things go south. Willcox should go live by then I imagine.

Even with Deming operational my S90D wants me to go through Flagstaff on a trip from Hilton Head to Phoenix. I don't know if Wilcox will be enough to go a southern route or if I will need Pecos or Ft. Stockton for the car to be happy.
It looks like it's about 40 miles less to take the northern route (through Holbrook, not Flagstaff) and about the same amount of time. It's hard to estimate since google rounds to the nearest hour at those distances, but by piecing it out, I actually got a time of 11 minutes faster taking the northern route through Holbrook than from taking the southern route. Holbrook to PHX is 183 miles or so but there's a drop in elevation so it should be no sweat with a 90. You would be more likely to encounter bad weather on the northern route this time of year though. Either way is doable imo. It's probably 6 one way, half a dozen the other.

Use evtripplanner.com It's very accurate, or rather it has been for me. When out west the wind and elevation changes can impact your range as much as anything. But using evtripplanner.com to get the route figured out worked well. Then just use the car nav to route to the next supercharger, You'll know how fast you can drive and with what range you will arrive at the next supercharger. Good luck on the trip

Thanks for the suggestions. My next trip probably isn't until the spring, so I have a chance that more superchargers will be open. And if not, a chance of better weather on I 40. I've also been reading where others have successfully taken I 10 by slowing down. I don't need to make a decision for a while.

Thanks for the suggestions. My next trip probably isn't until the spring, so I have a chance that more superchargers will be open. And if not, a chance of better weather on I 40. I've also been reading where others have successfully taken I 10 by slowing down. I don't need to make a decision for a while.
Oh, I just noticed the "southern route" I was referring to was actually I-20 through Dallas connecting to I-10 near Van Horn. Taking I-10 through Louisiana and then west appears to be the slowest of the 3 routes, though they are all reasonably comparable. Given the current supercharger map, taking the most southerly route would definitely be the worst option as the Ozona-->Van Horn leg is very dicey even in an S 90D. I suppose there is some possibility that it could be snowing in or around Dallas (somewhat rare but it happens) and that might justify taking that route, but that's about it. Of course it should be noted that snow is also possible on I-10 from El Paso to SE Arizona.

PLUS EV: Oh, I just noticed the "southern route" I was referring to was actually I-20 through Dallas connecting to I-10 near Van Horn.

Yes, my car's routing does go through Dallas, but then up through Childress to I-40 instead of Cisco, etc. I'll see what it wants when I get closer to my travel date.

PLUS EV: Oh, I just noticed the "southern route" I was referring to was actually I-20 through Dallas connecting to I-10 near Van Horn.

Yes, my car's routing does go through Dallas, but then up through Childress to I-40 instead of Cisco, etc. I'll see what it wants when I get closer to my travel date.
The car's routing is not all that great. I would never rely on it for a long trip. Google maps is your friend.

Agreed. NAV was not finding secondary routes that cut significant mileage. One Texas leg was 40 miles longer via NAV and would have been tough to make.

i originally posted this on the Oskosh thread, but I'll repost here:

In my experience (over 117,000 Model S miles) it is not a good idea to rely on Tesla navigation for your route selection. I always plan long trips with Google maps beforehand. I generally find that if there are alternatives, Tesla nav will choose the longest or the slowest or ideally both at the same time (and it gives preference to toll roads even if not necessary.) Once I know the route I will allow Tesla to navigate if it's distance and time agree with my Google maps estimates, otherwise out comes the iPhone.