Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Downey, CA - Lakewood Boulevard (LIVE 25 May 2018, 12 Urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The "use last" might be because it's ADA accessible. At the San Diego supercharger, they have one space like that. It's not exclusively for handicap use, but it's supposed to be left open for handicap users unless all the other charging spaces are in use. The signage in San Diego is clearer, though.
6 out of the 12 spaces (more or less the middle 6) have the "Use Last" line so I don't think it's related to handicap use.

Someone updated the location to PlugShare like always. Superchargers are uncovered
26609E18-6E8D-4CF5-B197-D2892254DFC3.jpeg

I think they are waiting on SCE to install a transformer. There is an empty concrete pad in the back corner of the lot with conduit sticking out of the center, right next to the gray tall metal cabinets. It's an unusually long way from the Superchargers though.

Please forgive my ignorance, but what is the significance of "Urban-type" superchargers (aside from cosmetic)? Are they reduced power?
The label on the Urban pedestal says they're limited to 200 amps, IIRC. That leads to the Supercharger cabinets being fixed at a 50/50 split between the two pedestals. Full speed Supercharging on the normal Superchargers can go a little over 330 amps.

Edit: Here's a picture of the pedestal label from the Scottsdale Quarter (Post #36) location:

2017-11-23-15-07-41-jpg.262381

Please forgive my ignorance, but what is the significance of "Urban-type" superchargers (aside from cosmetic)? Are they reduced power?
The pedestals are not paired. Each stall gets a max of 76kW (if I recall correctly) that is not shared with any other stall. So while you cannot get as much power as the “typical” type of Supercharger that we are all used to, you know that when you plug in to an Urban Supercharger pedestal you will get the full 76kW it is capable of.

• Informative
Reactions: SPXMike
Why is the location so far away from the one shown on the Tesla Supercharger map at www Tesla dot com supercharger Downey ? Not like they don't know where they are building it!

www Supercharge dot info has it right.

I'm checking it out in the morning. It will be the closest SC to us.

Why is the location so far away from the one shown on the Tesla Supercharger map at www Tesla dot com supercharger Downey ? Not like they don't know where they are building it!

www Supercharge dot info has it right.

The general consensus here seems to be that the pins for the future sites on the official Tesla map are placed at the center of the city in which they will be. When the site goes on-line, the pin moves to the actual location. supercharge.info is crowd-sourced and, while unofficial, has markers at the locations that various people in the community have determined through permit searches or actual visits to the sites under construction. I would guess this all applies to Downey as well.

Bruce.

The general consensus here seems to be that the pins for the future sites on the official Tesla map are placed at the center of the city in which they will be. When the site goes on-line, the pin moves to the actual location.
I think it is clear that is exactly right.
supercharge.info is crowd-sourced and, while unofficial, has markers at the locations that various people in the community have determined through permit searches or actual visits to the sites under construction
Again, right on the money.

Vern, Bruce has explained it very well. Please post an update on what you see when you visit the Downey SC location this morning. Thanks!

Thanks Bruce. ECarfan, here is the news and a photo will follow: We were there a little bit after Noon today. There were so many cars in that parking lot that it took a while just to enter. The 12 Tesla charging spots were empty, with an orange cone in each one. There are 3 pull-forward stalls and 9 back-ins. All but one charging station or transformer is covered in orange plastic wrap, and the one not covered looks just like the image in post 25 above by Mr. Plugshare.

This station has rubberish-like parking bumpers, not the concrete ones that one driver had trouble with.

There was fresh white paint striping with the blue masking tape still on the asphalt, near the parking lot exit.

We planned to eat at the BBQ next door or the Tea place but there were long lines outside of both places. There was no parking and there were 6 or 8 or more cars circling around looking for open spaces.

This SC is going to have a major problem with ICE cars parking in our Tesla spaces.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: bmah
LoL, I actually drove by there on Monday and noticed that one was unwrapped, I didn't have time to stop and take pics, so I was wondering if someone tried to "use" it.
I thought about it. I took the connector out of that one uncovered SC, and looked at the contacts. I should have removed the traffic cone, backed our Model S in, and tried it. But it was so hectic with 10 or 12 cars circling around for the next open parking spot, and so, maybe next time.

I know that this location will be severely impacted by ICE squatting in our stalls. Is Tesla really doing the right thing by building SCs where everyone will use them as parking spots?

Last edited:
I was I the area on Sat 03/31, so I decided to check this one for progress.
All superchargers except one are still wrapped in plastic.
Also seems like transformer is not in place yet, judging by big vacant concrete pad in south corner of the parking lot.
what did you think of Tesla's placing of this site as a SC? Too urban? Too close to ICE overcrowding?
I ask because I don't this this was a good siting for a SC.
Baker, yes.
San Clemente, yes.
SJC, no.
Santa Ana, don't think so.
Downey ...
What do you think?

what did you think of Tesla's placing of this site as a SC?
My opinion is that any Supercharger at a site is better than no Supercharger at that site, “Urban” style or regular style. Downey will be very useful.

If you want to have a general discussion of what makes a good Supercharger site (and it appears that you do since you also mentioned Baker, San CLement, SJC, Santa Ana) then please start a separate thread. Thank you. :)

what did you think of Tesla's placing of this site as a SC? Too urban? Too close to ICE overcrowding?
I ask because I don't this this was a good siting for a SC.
Baker, yes.
San Clemente, yes.
SJC, no.
Santa Ana, don't think so.
Downey ...
What do you think?

My opinion is that any Supercharger at a site is better than no Supercharger at that site, “Urban” style or regular style. Downey will be very useful.
I agree. Anything is a help.

If you want to have a general discussion of what makes a good Supercharger site (and it appears that you do since you also mentioned Baker, San CLement, SJC, Santa Ana) then please start a separate thread. Thank you. :)
Respectfully disagree, even if accompanied by a smiley face ;). The main point of his post is Downey; the other sites listed were only for comparison purposes. I think he is on topic. Grant you, these types of points do often go off on tangents (guilty myself), and your moderation when that happens is much appreciated.

Reactions: Vern Padgett