Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Entiat, WA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for coming up from Seattle and saving me the treacherous 20mi drive :D
Not too treacherous tonight, although I wish I would have seen your post sooner so I could have done more of the drive in daylight. As it was I got over the pass at dusk and am now driving 5 more hours in the dark. Between the holidays and the weather, I was really hoping it would open up so I could come up today or yesterday. I'm running all season tires, so not messing around with any serious weather. The worst I saw tonight was heavy ice on the shoulder and light ice in the center line. Driving lanes were bare and dry for the most part.

Not too treacherous tonight, although I wish I would have seen your post sooner so I could have done more of the drive in daylight. As it was I got over the pass at dusk and am now driving 5 more hours in the dark. Between the holidays and the weather, I was really hoping it would open up so I could come up today or yesterday. I'm running all season tires, so not messing around with any serious weather. The worst I saw tonight was heavy ice on the shoulder and light ice in the center line. Driving lanes were bare and dry for the most part.

I’m just kidding, I would've totally checked it out. Only the car was at home, that’s how I saw the app screen while checking on it. I’m actually in Seattle.

Reactions: PLUS EV
glympsie is pretty cool, not sure I’m getting all I can from it but it was fun watching you claim the prize, safe trip home!
You probably are getting all you can from it. Or at least all I can! The app is cool in theory but the execution leaves a lot to be desired. No way to interact with people on the app, and basic things like destination are actually kind of difficult to enter.

Tesla added this location to it's map as Entiat, WA and the "Coming Soon" Chelan pin is still there.

Screen Shot 2020-12-24 at 9.44.22 AM.png

• Informative
Reactions: Araman0
Tesla added this location to it's map as Entiat, WA and the "Coming Soon" Chelan pin is still there.

View attachment 620704
IMHO, you've got to wait a minimum of a month after something changes if you're going to cite Tesla's map as the basis of future supercharger plans kremlinology. Until it's stayed up there long enough to discount the "oops we forgot to remove that pin when we added the other one"-factor, it's hard to say anything reliably based on that map.

it's hard to say anything reliably based on that map.

You are right that the Tesla "Find Us" site and map are notoriously unreliable.

I didn't mean to imply anything about future plans for the Chelan location. At the time I wrote that comment the title of this thread was "Supercharger - Entiat, WA (Chelan, WA on Tesla's coming soon map)". I was only pointing out that this location is not the Chelan location, since it's also showing on both "Find Us" and the more reliable in-car nav as Entiat, WA.

You are right that the Tesla "Find Us" site and map are notoriously unreliable.

I didn't mean to imply anything about future plans for the Chelan location. At the time I wrote that comment the title of this thread was "Supercharger - Entiat, WA (Chelan, WA on Tesla's coming soon map)". I was only pointing out that this location is not the Chelan location, since it's also showing on both "Find Us" and the more reliable in-car nav as Entiat, WA.

It is likely that this is the Chelan WA pin from the Tesla map. Their map is horribly unreliable with dates and “exact” locations. I wouldn’t be surprised if in the coming months we see the Chelan pin disappear...

It is likely that this is the Chelan WA pin from the Tesla map. Their map is horribly unreliable with dates and “exact” locations. I wouldn’t be surprised if in the coming months we see the Chelan pin disappear...
It's possible, but for the record, that subject line always made me cringe so I'm glad it was corrected. It was just speculation on your part that the construction of this supercharger meant there wouldn't be one in Chelan. This company is growing very fast so I wouldn't make that assumption. In fact, if I had to guess, I'd say that in 10, maybe even 5, years there will be a supercharger in Chelan. Either that or the entire charging infrastructure will change wildly in that timeframe. But there will definitely be fast charging in Chelan available to Tesla cars in 5-10 years.

It's possible, but for the record, that subject line always made me cringe so I'm glad it was corrected. It was just speculation on your part that the construction of this supercharger meant there wouldn't be one in Chelan. This company is growing very fast so I wouldn't make that assumption. In fact, if I had to guess, I'd say that in 10, maybe even 5, years there will be a supercharger in Chelan. Either that or the entire charging infrastructure will change wildly in that timeframe. But there will definitely be fast charging in Chelan available to Tesla cars in 5-10 years.

Well initially it was to lend more credibility to this location actually being a supercharger since there had never been a pin on the Tesla map. Close proximity and marching the MO for a supercharger basically added up to it being considered a supercharger site even long before any hardware showed up on site.

I doubt there will be a supercharger in Chelan* considering it’s less than 20miles away. There is just no need for it considering it’s on the same route. More likely Pateros/Brewster/Omak/Okanagan will get one. Kind of what happened with Wenatchee/Leavenworth.

*This may change if Tesla gets a favorable location in the city from someone (like Arlington).

Reactions: im.thatoneguy
I doubt there will be a supercharger in Chelan* considering it’s less than 20miles away. There is just no need for it considering it’s on the same route. More likely Pateros/Brewster/Omak/Okanagan will get one. Kind of what happened with Wenatchee/Leavenworth.

*This may change if Tesla gets a favorable location in the city from someone (like Arlington).
Yeah I was only talking about years from now when Tesla density is much greater (or if other non-Tesla EVs can use superchargers). Omak or Okanogan make the most sense now. Or even Oroville since they seem to like to put superchargers on both sides of the border (probably not a big enough border crossing for that in this case though).

Heard a rumor from a Tesla owner in the Methow that they’re talking with Methow Valley Trails Association about L2 and/or L3 chargers in Winthrop. It makes more sense to me that they’re talking with the City who owns a large vacant public lot in a great location behind the ice rink. That would open up Highway 20 from the west so going east I would expect the northern Hwy 97 charger in Okanogan or Omak (as per the current pin). And then likely still Pateros? Omak to Entiat isn’t too bad though.

Reactions: 3'sterly and ijoe13

Yeah I saw a large collection of tall narrow white crates that were supercharger shaped in Walla Walla this week and I thought. "Maybbbeeee" but I know it almost certainly isn't. But someday undoubtedly there will be. Probably every location with >30-40k people will have a supercharger.

Reactions: PLUS EV
Heard a rumor from a Tesla owner in the Methow that they’re talking with Methow Valley Trails Association about L2 and/or L3 chargers in Winthrop. It makes more sense to me that they’re talking with the City who owns a large vacant public lot in a great location behind the ice rink. That would open up Highway 20 from the west so going east I would expect the northern Hwy 97 charger in Okanogan or Omak (as per the current pin). And then likely still Pateros? Omak to Entiat isn’t too bad though.
A few weeks ago I submitted to Tesla the Winthrop / Twisp area as a suggested Supercharger location to better support the RT20 from the west route. I hope if Tesla sees enough people asking, they’ll make the area a priority.

Any update on this rumor? Since nothing new has appeared on the Tesla SC map, I imagine this may still be a couple years away.

Any update on this rumor? Since nothing new has appeared on the Tesla SC map, I imagine this may still be a couple years away.
No, nothing. I don't really put a whole lot of stock into the rumor, though you could contact the City of Winthrop planning department or the OCEC if you wanted to see if there is any merit to it. My guess is that it's likely to happen at some point, just not sure of an actual timeline? It's too significant as a travel route to be neglected by Tesla forever, but the seasonal closure of Highway 20 probably removes some imperative.

The Town of Winthrop invited Tesla many months ago to install a supercharger on town property with needed power close by. No response. They then pursued funding for a CCS/CHAdeMO fast charger on town property but lost out on the grant. As I've said before it makes perfect sense to have fast chargers in Winthrop for those coming over the big climb North Cascades Highway or coming around and up in the winter, which many people - many driving Teslas - do. For now there are level 2 chargers in the Methow, all of them free. OCEC, a very small, non-profit cooperative, just provides power but is open to supporting EVs.

The Town of Winthrop invited Tesla many months ago to install a supercharger on town property with needed power close by. No response. They then pursued funding for a CCS/CHAdeMO fast charger on town property but lost out on the grant. As I've said before it makes perfect sense to have fast chargers in Winthrop for those coming over the big climb North Cascades Highway or coming around and up in the winter, which many people - many driving Teslas - do. For now there are level 2 chargers in the Methow, all of them free. OCEC, a very small, non-profit cooperative, just provides power but is open to supporting EVs.

That's a shame especially that Winthrop didn't get a grant for a CCS/CHAdeMO - would have been an ideal location for that, IMHO. NE Washington is a complete desert in terms of DCFCing...