Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Event 2012/9/24

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Really cool:
- Free.
- Solar powered.
- Big network, some out now.

Less cool:
- Presentation execution. Lots to learn from Apple here... What's with the unveiling mishap? Ever heard of rehearsals?
- No real details. How many chargers per "station"? Can we check if they're available online? Elon, you could have milked this for more than 15 minutes...

Jury's still out:
- That big thingie that looks like a... well, you know...

P.S. Live broadcast worked fine for me on Safari for those that are keeping score.

Also, one in Atlanta? Atlanta is a very big place. No benefit if it's downtown. Who wants to drive to downtown Atlanta, Chicago, DC etc to sit in traffic for an hour to supercharge for 30 min

I would, if I'm able to basically "fill the tank" for a week or two of driving at a time for free. I don't know how far OTP you are, but it'll be a quick 20 minute trip each way, so a total of an hour (which would include some lunch) every 1-2 weeks for free driving. I'm pretty OK with that!

Less cool:
- No real details. How many chargers per "station"? Can we check if they're available online? Elon, you could have milked this for more than 15 minutes...

Well it is late on the east cost I have to be at work by 7am tomorrow. And take out the trash before I leave. :frown:

Jury's still out:
- That big thingie that looks like a... well, you know...

Well I immediately went to 'phallic' when I saw it.

Well if you're going to stick it to the oil companies then this makes sense:smile:

Nice...
hattAv.gif

WOW, was not expecting FREE supercharging for LIFE of the Model S! Freaking amazing! This announcement is most certainly going to get people's attention.

This adds a huge amount of resale value as well. While there are a lot of open questions you can color me 'impressed' with this announcement as cross-country travel to interstate travel is going to change drastically. And how cool is it that all of this is solar powered!

While I don't expect thousands of people to reserve tomorrow, this announcement will certainly bump the reservation trend line

WOW, was not expecting FREE supercharging for LIFE of the Model S! Freaking amazing! This announcement is most certainly going to get people's attention.

This adds a huge amount of resale value as well. While there are a lot of open questions you can color me 'impressed' with this announcement as cross-country travel to interstate travel is going to change drastically. And how cool is it that all of this is solar powered!

While I don't expect thousands of people to reserve tomorrow, this announcement will certainly bump the reservation trend line

I believe it does add a lot of resale value. I'd imagine that the Model S (and Model X) will have free super charging and the Gen III and the future lower price-point Tesla's will be pay-to-charge. Which is genius.

- - - Updated - - -

Now I don't seem like a mad man for spending mega bucks for free mega watts ! ! !:scared:

+1 joefee

The design of the supercharging stations makes the Model S's being charged in them look antiquated. IMHO.

Hard to tell about the circles they're drawing around the stations on the maps - is that the range of a fully charged 85kWh Model S, or something else?

I'm not so sure honestly... How many people outside of those following tesla do you think this will reach? Some tech blogs will get it sure, but it'll hardly be on the local news, and even then, probably not properly conveyed.

free charging for life is FANTASTIC. I wonder if that sways anyone up from the 40kwh. Definitely a lot of questions unanswered. Would really like to see the rollout schedule for the east coast, but from the picture, it looks like i could do any driving i'd want to do to see relatives within the next couple of years.

And yes, the big tesla ... thing... *shakes head* not going there.

You can watch it on the site again now.

Yeah, where are you guys seeing this. Supercharger | Tesla Motors has all the facts now, but I don't see the video, nor do I see it on the front page or blog.

That said however, the image and text on the page makes a few things clear:

The "spire" (let's please call it that :)) is just a sign.

The solar panels are on the roof of the station.

At least some stations will have multiple charge ports.

Not all stations will be solar powered (but if you consider that the other stations overproduce and feed back to the grid, then the net is that the cars can all be solar powered and excess still goes to the power station); text says there are solar panels "at many locations".