Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agenda - will post more info later this morning.

Fort Stockton Golden Spike Ceremony - Tesla Supercharger

Saturday, February 9:

4:30pm Meet at the Flying J in Fort Stockton. Pics, charge, then on to Fort Davis.

7:00pm Cocktails and dinner at the Blue Mountain Bistro in Fort Davis, Cordials and such around the hotel's fireplace after dinner.

Sunday, February 10:

Breakfast is available at the Hotel LImpia, other places nearby

10:00 am group photo in front of the the courthouse and Hotel Limpia in Fort Davis (public invited - show, give rides, whatever)

noon Marfa: group photo in front of the Presidio County Courthouse, lunch at the Hotel St. George - Bar St. George
(charging available at the El Cosmico)

genda - will post more info later this morning.

Fort Stockton Golden Spike Ceremony - Tesla Supercharger

Saturday, February 9:

4:30pm Meet at the Flying J in Fort Stockton. Pics, charge, then on to Fort Davis.

7:00pm Cocktails and dinner at the Blue Mountain Bistro in Fort Davis, Cordials and such around the hotel's fireplace after dinner.

At those appointed times I shall be busily reviewing about a half dozen forms 1065. Any chance you can hack into a cable channel and broadcast the festivities live? Maybe preempt a Hallmark movie or reruns of "My Mother the Car?"

I shall be there in spirit; alas, my body will be right here in California ironing out all the bells and whistles of the TCJA.

• Funny
Reactions: ℬête Noire
Sorry Charlie et al., I officially cannot make it. Was leaning against anyway for reasons previously stated, but something came up today back home which made it an official No. I am jealous of those who receive the Golden Spikes!

Some people we might meet at the Golden Spike events:

Fort Stockton:
Flying J: Co-Managers Troy and Jennifer
FS Pioneer: Steve Fountain, Publisher
FS C of C: Anna McCorkle, Director

Fort Davis:
Event Coordinator for Holland Hotel, Maverick Inn, and the Hotel Limpia: Sarah Davison
Hotel Limpia Chef: Jeremy Bentley
Hotel Limpia Bar Manager: Audrey Torres
Hotel Limpia Maintenance: Jeremiah Rubio
Hotel Limpia Maintenance: Leroy Salcido
Fort Davis C of C: Joe Waggoner
Jeff Davis County Mountain Dispatch: Bob Dillard, Publisher
Jeff Davis County Mountain Dispatch: Toi Fisher, Reporter and more!
Jeff Davis County Library: Gwin Grimes, Library Director

Pretty sure I left out a few people. Hope not.

See you Saturday!

To PLUS EV and cpa and the rest who can't visit this time: maybe the August rally?

Kinda hazy and windy here today. All that brown you see will be screaming green for the August event:
IMG_7296.jpg

Charlie

We made the front page!
SWF Details

I invited a local historian to meet with us: Lonn Taylor’s History Program
Google him up - interesting man!
Pretty cool, even if the storyline is a bit wrong (yes it enables coast to coast on I-10 but it is definitely not the first way to get across on routes other than I-10) .

Is there anyway to get a higher res version of that front page?

We made it to Austin this afternoon.

Half Dollar Bill: yes! I guess it does look like a hazy cloudy Mars. Lotsa room for landings ;).
Come see it in the summer!

theflyer: "all-weather" is the modifier - accurate or not. I plagiarized that from somewhere I don't remember.
I was surprised they printed my article almost exactly as I submitted it to the paper. No worries. Sorry if it was inaccurate.
Publisher of the paper is my next-door neighbor - only about a mile away.
I do have a full-res pdf version of the paper, but I'm unsure about copyright issues.
There are printed copies available all over town.

theflyer or anyone else: If you arrive tomorrow, please get in touch with me via pm!
Planning to dine somewhere in Marfa tomorrow night - we always love company!

Half Dollar Bill: yes! I guess it does look like a hazy cloudy Mars. Lotsa room for landings ;).
Come see it in the summer!

theflyer: "all-weather" is the modifier - accurate or not. I plagiarized that from somewhere I don't remember.
I was surprised they printed my article almost exactly as I submitted it to the paper. No worries. Sorry if it was inaccurate.
Publisher of the paper is my next-door neighbor - only about a mile away.
I do have a full-res pdf version of the paper, but I'm unsure about copyright issues.
There are printed copies available all over town.

theflyer or anyone else: If you arrive tomorrow, please get in touch with me via pm!
Planning to dine somewhere in Marfa tomorrow night - we always love company!
No dramas on the language of the article. Thanks for clarifying the context.

Regarding the PDF, you could ask if it is allowed to share it with the attendees for personal use. Good to know there are paper copies available when we arrive.

I had to dig out my winter weather gear tonight from the frunk.

Charlie - Congrats for the front page coverage! Great article - and having the option of saving a paper copy for posterity is very nice indeed.

Yes indeed - First transcontinental SC route that doesn’t require chains or snow tires at least part of the year for RWD vehicles. Or closures sometimes, regardless.

Or, more to the point, the first tc SC route that doesn’t cause mandatory rerouting through known tornado and black ice country or other narstiness.

Are there exceptions? Sure - generational flooding comes to mind along with rare snow here and there - although in the bigger picture, I consider them distinctions without a practical difference.

When you’ve faced a closed mountain pass (Eisenhower Tunnel) in mid-May in Colorado, black ice in Flagstaff (I-40) in October, tornados in Oklahoma, and charge-killing conditions in the Texas panhandle in November, a finally-completed I-10 for the least-risky year-round travel option available is well-received indeed.

Should be in El Paso by tomorrow night.

Article in yesterday’s Big Bend Sentinel, page 6!

Chargers at the Hotel Limpia all showed green lights today - will check operation tomorrow on my way to FS.

And now, off to sample a Golden Spike at the Hotel Limpia’s Blue Mountain Bistro!

Congrats for yet more press coverage - good stuff!

Hope that Golden Spike cocktail is tasty - it’s a close cousin of a Rusty Nail, so hopefully they, um, nail it :).

Update for those headed east - all pedestals at Deming and El Paso SCs are good.

HOWEVER, while we knew that Van Horn’s 4A & 4B are still bad (0%), please note that Fort Stockton’s 2A & 2B are also impacted. 2A @ 0% and 2B @ 78% strength.

So if anyone is localish to FS or know that you will *not* need a charge tomorrow, please grab 2A or 2B.

There’s a non-zero chance that a SC tech will come to VH & FS tomorrow to fix all 4 pedestals (the request has been made), but I wouldn’t count on it.

purplewalt:
Perhaps a nice discussion tomorrow night on avatars and noms de plum?

Meet at the hotel fireplace at 7 (bar service there), then mosey to the dining room around 7:45. I think closing is around 9.

Golden Spike cocktail: many variations available, most common would likely be called a screwdriver. Audrey, bar manager, will be serving up her own version.

Cold, stunningly clear sky tonight. Stars look fake. c u tomorrow!

Photo: please peruse historical photos of original golden spike ceremony 150 years ago. I propose we re-create that in Fort Stockton with the Teslas traveling from eastern most and western most points.

Love it. Also didn’t realize it was almost exactly 150 years ago! Who’s our easternmost participant so far?

8ACF05EE-B18C-4C6C-905C-4578047EB30C.png

And then there’s this:
3308D371-2B09-4034-84FE-94B5202A35BA.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Graffi and nwdiver