Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used the phone app on my smartphone and actually called the Best Western. Unfortunately, the person who answered the phone didn't know anything about it. I would suggest that every few days someone should call them up in hopes of either reaching the manager or annoying each front desk clerk enough so they get the latest scoop to fend off the crazy Tesla people.

• Disagree
Reactions: TexasEV
I used the phone app on my smartphone and actually called the Best Western. Unfortunately, the person who answered the phone didn't know anything about it. I would suggest that every few days someone should call them up in hopes of either reaching the manager or annoying each front desk clerk enough so they get the latest scoop to fend off the crazy Tesla people.
Do you really want to annoy the business that is hosting the supercharger? Just what do you expect to accomplish by doing that?

Reactions: Twiglett
Do you really want to annoy the business that is hosting the supercharger? Just what do you expect to accomplish by doing that?

I was being tongue-in-cheek about that - I think a hotel would like that people are excited about visiting it. (Though I haven't seen data on the monetary benefit to the hotel in terms of lease payments from Tesla, additional rooms occupied, or additional restaurant patronage) However, I would suggest people post here when they call so there aren't multiple people calling during the same shift.

Reactions: nwdiver
I was being tongue-in-cheek about that - I think a hotel would like that people are excited about visiting it. (Though I haven't seen data on the monetary benefit to the hotel in terms of lease payments from Tesla, additional rooms occupied, or additional restaurant patronage) However, I would suggest people post here when they call so there aren't multiple people calling during the same shift.
I'm with @TexasEV, this is counter productive to keep calling the hotel - and demonstrates just how insensitive and out of touch Tesla owners are capable of being when they are desperate for information.
Personally, I don't want to be greeted at the hotel as being one of asshats who kept calling until the work was complete.
A supercharger isn't an overnight stop - I'm willing to bet that the hotel gets a negligible gain by hosting one, other than a few folks nursing a coffee for an hour.

Reactions: brkaus
I disagree! I have stayed at hotels that host superchargers probably 40 or 50 times. It really helps when you are trying to make good time on a long trip.

That's gonna drop off A LOT as cars w/o free supercharging AND destination chargers become more plentiful. Why pay for a supercharger when a destination charger is 'free'? And you don't have to worry about running back out to move your car.

I still don't understand why so many superchargers end up at hotels....

That's gonna drop off A LOT as cars w/o free supercharging AND destination chargers become more plentiful. Why pay for a supercharger when a destination charger is 'free'? And you don't have to worry about running back out to move your car.

I still don't understand why so many superchargers end up at hotels....
I agree in theory but the the reality of destination chargers is that you have to worry if they are occupied or otherwise not functional. Sometimes valet has parked other cars in front of them and needs to move them in order to get your car in there. These situations are particularly problematic if you arrive late.

With a supercharger, you are about 99.99% certain that a space will be available and that it will work. I usually plug in, check in, unpack, shower or browse the internet if I still need to kill a few more minutes, and then go out and move my car. This is not much of an inconvenience to me at all.

Also the destination chargers tend to be in bigger cities at more expensive hotels, etc. If I'm on a long road trip I usually avoid the big cities if at all possible. So for my purposes, hotels with superchargers are often preferable.

One of the busiest SCs in the network is hosted in Redondo Beach (CA) by a Hilton Garden Inn. It's actually hosted by the hotel group that owns the 3 properties on site but happens to be in front of the first one that was built, which is a Hilton Garden Inn.

Anyway, it's a win win for SC visitors and for that hotel, since for those owners who venture inside, they'll find a kitchen that's been better than it has to be since day one - and a nice staff from end to end. For awhile after the grand opening, the property had a banner at the SC inviting owners to use the fitness center or to partake in a Tesla-centric happy hour. During the rare instances of ICEing, they also track down offending guests and have them move mas rapido. So there's that. Sadly, they're about out of space parking-wise now that all 3 properties are open, so the odds of expanding that SC are not as high as they once were.

Probably the best implementation of anti-ICEing at a hotel property (a pair in this case) that I've seen was at Glenwood Springs (CO). Signage, pylons/cones, the works. I almost ended up having to overnight there in late May when I-70 was closed in both directions at the tunnel/pass (11,300'). So was not verklempt that the SC was at a hotel.

By comparison, the worst experiences at hotels have been with destination chargers - odd, given the perceived alignment between sleeping overnight and charging overnight. The last 3 times I've had to interact with same, there's been ICEing, and 1 of the 2 times before that, ICEing by our own. It will just take time to get people to respect green paint as much as they do red and blue paint, not to mention the concept of scarce resources. And consistent signage wouldn't hurt, but again, all in good time.

The worst worst siting for SCs has to be in shopping centers/malls. Especially in the Southwest Region, repeatedly. But that's another matter. That it became a thing that owners need to be entertained while charging is unfortunate. Get in, get out, get gone. With the exception of Quartzsite *twitch*, the more SCs that end up at truck stops, er, travel plazas, and fast/fast casual food joints, the better (aligned business models) - imnsho.

In the case of Fort Stockton, isn't it about a day's drive from Tucson/Phoenix? Could be a natural overnight stop which could explain the siting choice. Not that everyone is coming from there, but there are people that would travel from LA to Tucson, then Tucson to Fort Stockton (e.g., military from DMAFB), and then onward to points east.

I would actually use the hotel in Ft Stockton on our way to Houston from Tucson in Dec if the supercharger was on line- but I have little to no hope of that at this time- We're still hoping that Deming comes online before we leave so we don't have to go the northern route though Albuquerque and Oklahoma City- a whole extra days' drive. With Ft Stockton not having any charging options, and if Deming is available we'll take the dog leg from Van Horn to Midland and back to Ozona, it's only a 70 or so mile detour vs a 400 mile detour the northern route. I'm really concerned that some entity in Ft Stockton really has it out for Tesla.

I agree in theory but the the reality of destination chargers is that you have to worry if they are occupied or otherwise not functional. Sometimes valet has parked other cars in front of them and needs to move them in order to get your car in there. These situations are particularly problematic if you arrive late.

With a supercharger, you are about 99.99% certain that a space will be available and that it will work. I usually plug in, check in, unpack, shower or browse the internet if I still need to kill a few more minutes, and then go out and move my car. This is not much of an inconvenience to me at all.

Also the destination chargers tend to be in bigger cities at more expensive hotels, etc. If I'm on a long road trip I usually avoid the big cities if at all possible. So for my purposes, hotels with superchargers are often preferable.

I've never found a HPWC out of service. ICEing issues are likely a mix of probability and poor labeling. I've been to SCs at hotels where 4/6 stalls were ICE'd. There's rarely >2 HPWCs. Either way... the solution needs to be better L2 for overnight stops. It's insane to use $50k in equipment to accomplish the same task as $500 in equipment.

If Tesla is going to keep putting SCs at hotels seems like it's be a wise investment to increase the budget by ~0.5% to add a pair of HPWC....

... With Ft Stockton not having any charging options, ...
There are a couple of RV Parks in Fort Stockton with 50 amp charging. This one has had some good reports IIRC:
Fort Stockton RV Park
I am planning an I-10 coast to coast soon. My plan is to stop overnight in Fort Stockton at a nearby hotel and charge overnight here.
There are options without going out of the way. Not as good as Superchargers, but adequate for overnight. With some luck we'll have a Destination Charger at one of the local hotels. None are luxurious but the serve the purpose. Other people know more than I do, and a number of people have made the trip excluding Fort Stockton entirely. I'll not be that brave.

Last edited by a moderator:
Found a second Lone Star 811 for the Flying J Building up the highway.

DIG SITE INFORMATION

Type of Work: LAND SURVEY
Work Being Done For: TESLA
Explosives: N
Digging deeper than 16": N
Duration: 1 DAY
Area Marked In White: Y

DIG SITE LOCATION

County: PECOS
Place: FORT STOCKTON
Address: 2571
Street: N FRONT ST
Intersecting Street: INTERSTATE 10 SERVICE RD
Location of Work: WORK DATE: 10/26/2017 10:00:00 AM TESLA IS LOOKING TO BUILD A CHARGING FACILITY AT THIS LOCATION. NEED ALL UTILITIES MARKED IN THE PARKING LOT AROUND THE FLYING J BUILDING. DRIVING DIRECTIONS: THE FLYING J TRAVEL CENTER AT THE CORNER OF INTERSTATE 10 SERVICE ROAD AND NORTH FRONT STREET(18) ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: EXCAVATOR PHONE: (903)780-6743 ALT CONTACT EMAIL: xxxxx
Remarks: LAND SURVEY TESS: 1779792624 Seq: 4501 Rcd: 10/24/17 11:34 WTBD: 10/26/17 10:00
Map: TX
Page:
Grid Cells:

MEMBERS NOTIFIED

District Company Name Status
FTSTO01 CITY OF FORT STOCKTON GAS Not yet responded
FTSTO_2 CITY OF FORT STOCKTON SEWER Not yet responded
FTSTO_3 CITY OF FORT STOCKTON WATER Not yet responded
Trolling the dig site today for all states I can find, not sure if you folks out there located this, but this indicates Best Western as the location. Searched this thread for Best Western and didn't see it, saw the Mariott in first page, thought this might be helpful to you.. Maybe it's just a destination charger but it might be worth a drive-by by the locals...

View attachment 258352

Marker flags at the Best Western and Flying J... nothing more :(
Quick reminder of the importance of realistic expectations.
The application was for a site survey . . . . so marker flags is all there ever will be from this application.
Therefore - expectation met ;)

Next step would be producing real plans, followed by approval of aforementioned plans, followed by application for work to start and more applications for various utilities etc etc etc
So progress has been made :cool:

• Informative
Reactions: otter
Cynical me thinks Tesla wants to put it at the hotel, but the city won't approve it in the city limits.

Flying J is a second choice. Flying J appears to be outside the city limits. Tesla is showing the city that it will be built, even if they don't approve, so they might as well approve.

The city has a couple of plays. Give in. Annex the property that Flying J is on.

I have no data or proof -- just a feeling.

Reactions: buttershrimp