Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you LCR1. I am checking out chargers to purchase and put at the RV park. We can control our own destiny and get faster charging than an HPWC. And, from the RV park perspective, anybody can charge there.

Anybody have recommendations on how to mirror the Iraan site?
Not quite mirror, but...
Having a Tesla HPWC plus a Clipper Creek probably can be given by Tesla. If they'd install both with 100 amp breakers we'd have the best we can do without compromising reliability. I have no idea if there would end out being enough traffic to justify more than one. However, if they'd set up a trailer or two like El Cosmico I'm confident they'd end out with enough customers to pay for it all. If we can enlist a dozen or so of us to provide encouragement of one sort or another it should work.

For those who regularly on this route this could change travel patterns. For the less frequent ones just knowing it is there would shift traffic south.

I have chosen a Northern route just because of lack of Fort Stockton and unwillingness to deviate through Midland. On my last trip across I-90 Eastbound I met four people who were going from California to Louisiana, Georgia or Florida. That was during two days four months ago. Unless I am terribly mistaken there is substantial traffic from within Texas as well as others. Not enough for major investment, but enough to justify this sort of support.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
Thank you LCR1. I am checking out chargers to purchase and put at the RV park. We can control our own destiny and get faster charging than an HPWC. And, from the RV park perspective, anybody can charge there.

Anybody have recommendations on how to mirror the Iraan site?
I think Irran is just one of these -

70/80A Level 2 EVSE CS-100 Hardwired | ClipperCreek

For Tesla, an HPWC is much more cost effective. Esp if Tesla pays through destination program. Personally, if they were going to do something it should probably be two HPWC sharing a 100a breaker. Or better, two HPWC on their own breaker.

At this time, there really aren’t any other EVs that could get out there to benefit from a J1772.

Reactions: jbcarioca
I think Irran is just one of these -

70/80A Level 2 EVSE CS-100 Hardwired | ClipperCreek

For Tesla, an HPWC is much more cost effective. Esp if Tesla pays through destination program. Personally, if they were going to do something it should probably be two HPWC sharing a 100a breaker. Or better, two HPWC on their own breaker.
I do think it would be best to include another J1772 if possible so that the emerging non-Tesla crowd would be ready. In the meantime Tesla can use that also. Even Bolts are already venturing out...

I do think it would be best to include another J1772 if possible so that the emerging non-Tesla crowd would be ready. In the meantime Tesla can use that also. Even Bolts are already venturing out...
I do agree, esp if Tesla funds it. But given the cost of any J1772 over 40a, I couldn’t recommend it as a biz direction for the RV Park.

Even the HPWC is tough to justify with a supercharger looming. But I guess that implies the J1772 may have longer useful life.

It’s just hard to beat a HPWC at $550 for functionality (based on my minimal shopping around).

I do agree, esp if Tesla funds it. But given the cost of any J1772 over 40a, I couldn’t recommend it as a biz direction for the RV Park.

Even the HPWC is tough to justify with a supercharger looming. But I guess that implies the J1772 may have longer useful life.

It’s just hard to beat a HPWC at $550 for functionality (based on my minimal shopping around).
That is why I thought of crowdfunding a little subsidy for them. That has works with places like Newfoundland and a few other places well off the BEV beaten path, or any other vehicles actually.

Reactions: brkaus
Thank you everybody.
If the RV park installs an HPWC (or anything better than a 14-50) it would be appropriate for us to assure the owner that we will make him whole in the event an SC is installed.

jbcarioca: I'm in on the crowdfunding. I'll let the RV manager know about El Cosmico.

I guess we should have done this on our own two years ago.

Even a 24kw DC would run 7500-10K for a Delta or Bosch (BMW claims $6500 for their CCS)
PROS:
Runs full 100a @240v with internal breakers
Any battery size can benefit from the 70ish MPH charge rate.

CONS:
Only charges at 70ish MPH compared to 52/57 for those with the high amp/ dual chargers
still requires $400 chademo adapter.

50kw models require 480v input and start at $30K and you'll be around 140 MPH charge rate, again requiring chademo adapter. biggest I've ever seen for chademo is 62.5kw. All of these have about .98 power factor and these are peak output designed for packs under 30kwh, continuous output is 95% of max. efficiencies are around 92%. Aeroviroment has a new 50kw model so I sent a request through the company to see what pricing is (not that it matters.)

Basically the 24kw is the only viable option from a CBA. As a business owner I'd let Tesla install the HPWC for free but i'd still charge a nominal fee for use since there aren't many services to utilize for me to recoup ancillary costs. If paid for install myself I'd charge more. I'd personally charge $2.50/hr or $10 for unlimited use (remember commercial rates apply, not those cheap residential.) If I thought DC would work I'd request data from Tesla to see how many cars actually travel that route before dropping the $10K for a 24kw model. On a 24kw DC charger I'd price it at $15-20/session figuring most people wouldn't stay more than an hour that'd be 24kwh $3 in electricity and $12 to cover overhead and equipment. If I were to even think about the $30K for a 50kw unit and the cost to run 480v to it i'd need to see some hard data from Tesla that shows people bypassing Fort Stockton and that 40-$50K investment would actually pay off.

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus
FYI:
If we have to do this without Tesla:
$500 for each new Tesla HPWC.
$2200 for Clipper Creek CS-100, 70/80 Amp (Selectable) EVSE, 240V, with 25 ft cable Product Code: 0224-00-009

CS-100 will charge up to 80 amps with a 100 amp breaker.
Don't know Bolt or Leaf rates, but I understand both cars use the J1772 plug.

New Tesla HPWC will charge up to 80 amps with a 100 amp breaker.
Up to 4 HPWCs can share a single 100 amp breaker.
(Aftermarket adapters now available for other brands to use Tesla connectors.)

The RV park has been charging us $15 - a bargain, especially if that gets you 80 amps.

@charliepmayer, a couple of thoughts:

Instead of guaranteeing to make the RV park whole, perhaps we just crowdsource an HPWC purchase up front, since that keeps you from having to stake your reputation on the word of a bunch of semi anonymous internet people here. The RV business model becomes the profit off of upkeep / hosting. I suspect that Tesla contractually limits their ability to profit off of the destination charger in that same way. In terms of a J1772, I have a spare 30A Aerovironment J1772 from an old evGo program that I am happy to donate. That would keep from having to crowd source one.

Why don’ you guys get evgo to put in a dc charger and chain a CHAdeMO to it? other makes can use it too. The cost of charging is peanuts especially if you can own a Tesla. I use them all the time. Not that much slower than a supercharger if you have a small battery car.

• Funny
Reactions: LCR1
GWord: yep, I was going to give Tesla a week, then get back directly with the RV park.
I think I can pick up an HPWC at the San Antonio service center. Might then work FS and Balmorhea
until we find a host willing to install it - RV Park gets first choice. Crowd source reimbursement if successful?

Don't know about the 30A 1772 - the existing 14-50s already provide 40 amps.
Stay tuned.

I like the idea of having the HPWC at the campground with a dedicated rental trailer. At least here in San Diego it is easy enough to find a used travel trailer or non-working RV, for cheap or even free, that could be easily cleaned up to provide a clean bed and shower. Not sure about west TX. We really do not need a kitchen. Those who only wish to stop for 1 or 2 hours could use it as a lounge, those wishing to stay overnight could rent the bedroom.

For me, we would only need to stay long enough to get the charge needed to make it to Van Horn. We could even just recline the seats in the car to sleep there, but a sofa in the "Lounge" would be better.

I understand why others are thinking of purchasing our own HPWC, but do not understand why the Tesla Destination Charger group would not supply one. Knowing that they have been unable to get a Supercharger in the Fort Stockton area in all this time I would think they would jump at the chance to find this Temporary solution until they are able to actually get the SC in service. Heck, why not foot the bill and set up their own meter just to make it easy for the campground owner so they are happy to let Tesla owners use this site. After all, they are willing to spend a great deal more money installing the Supercharger station and pay all of that bill. By doing this Tesla would be able to keep so many owners from being as disappointed as they are now (I almost said make us happy, but spending 2 hours instead of 10 minutes could make a big difference for some).

Just a thought. Not sure how to contact the correct people at Tesla to find out, but maybe someone here knows.

Suddenly I’m feeling optimistic! Here is the link for application with Tesla. I’ll be happy to help, although it does require all the local data. Once the application has been prepared we need to organize notes to the Tesla team from as many owners as we can generate. That will speed the process.

charging-partners

Logically we might include Balmorhea as well so all Tesla’s could make it without concerns. With 100 amp breakers it will be the next best thing to Superchargers.

FWIW, ages ago the Superchargers in Marathon, Florida were crowdsourced by members of the Florida Tesla Enthusiasts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Crowd source reimbursement if successful?

Don't know about the 30A 1772 - the existing 14-50s already provide 40 amps.
Stay tuned.

I'll pitch in no matter how you chose to do it but I'd hate to see you be put out if you chose to crowdsource the reimbursement and no one steps up. As a side note, don't forget about the EV installation tax credit that got renewed! Save your receipts haha.

Re the 30A 1772; Totally agree on the 14-50s; just wasn't sure if the push for the 1772 by some folks in this discussion was being driven by wanting to have that type of connector available. A 30A evse isn't exactly a prime solution for EV road tripping but the price is right :D