Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TexasEV: You might be surprised who I've emailed and called about this fiasco.
Nah - you already know most of the story if you've read the whole thread.

I've lost many hours of my life slow charging or ICEing around Fort Stockton instead of just humming through.

Since Tesla wasn't telling us anything I thought i would try to find out on my own.
It worked!

...........kinda......sorta........................never mind

You emailed the utility surveyer? Are you trying to get him to lose his job?

Actually, there are quite a few people that should lose their their jobs for this debacle. Start with the individual/s that are directly involved with allowing the site selection and approval to move forward with the installation of the SC. The "obsession" with all the project delay is ridiculous. There are over 500 successful U.S. SC installations to blame any of this on Tesla. Tesla knows what they're doing; FS hasn't got a clue.

too far???? Many of our clan has been delaying an I-10 coast-to-coast for lack of Fort Stockton. That location has quite large importance, well beyond the local issues.

Well said. The delays directly associated with the failure to close the I-10 route (aka what would be the first year-round, all-weather transcontinental SC route) are now less (we no longer have to take a hard right at Houston into tornado and black ice country), but still significant. It's already a 52-hour one-way trip. Adding hours to that due to what is shaping up to be a TWO YEAR DELAY POST-PERMIT (the first one) is an unwelcome problem - especially when the culprit is bureaucratic in nature.

I wouldn't drive 2 days in each direction for a Golden Spike soiree once this disturbing malaise is lifted if this location was not of considerable significance. The risks inherent in taking the other routes are real.

There are over 500 successful U.S. SC installations to blame any of this on Tesla. Tesla knows what they're doing; FS hasn't got a clue.

With the exception of Orange County (which for far too long had one overrun SC) and San Diego County (which to this day has exactly one overrun SC), that does appear to be the case. Once out of California, (exceptions here and there, sure) SCs are generally devoid of multiple cars at a time even now.

However, even Tesla must share responsibility for their weakest link in the chain - that being Fort Stockton/Balmorhea - especially given the opacity inherent in their communication choices or lack thereof.

Beggars can't be choosers, man!

At this point, I would be happy if they put it at one of those picnic table rest areas that doesn't even have a toilet (you only see those in Texas. WTF?).
Yes, the distinction between a "Picnic Area" and a "Rest Area" is subtle. A Picnic Area is for picnics. A Rest Area has Rest Rooms.

The Picnic Area sometimes smells like a restroom. Probably why one rarely sees picnicking happening there?

I called the Hampton Inn and asked if they have been approached by Tesla to install superchargers at their location. The daytime manager said yes and the General Manager was planning to move forward with it. The daytime manager said the talks have been ongoing for a long time and that Tesla was charging a fee to install them. I find that does not agree with the General Manager at Columbia, SC and August, GA. They said Tesla paid for the installation and all they ask was a location in their parking lot. Don't know if Tesla change their installation agreements since the earlier ones were built. I provided the phone numbers for the two General Manager from Columbia and Augusta so the Ft. Stockton General Manager can find out the experiences from the other two locations. Maybe this will help move this project along. I stayed in the Ft. Stockton Hampton Inn in March used their 110VAC to gain 30 miles overnight so I could drive at a reasonable speed traveling from Van Horn to Ozona.

I called the Hampton Inn and asked if they have been approached by Tesla to install superchargers at their location. The daytime manager said yes and the General Manager was planning to move forward with it. The daytime manager said the talks have been ongoing for a long time and that Tesla was charging a fee to install them. I find that does not agree with the General Manager at Columbia, SC and August, GA. They said Tesla paid for the installation and all they ask was a location in their parking lot. Don't know if Tesla change their installation agreements since the earlier ones were built. I provided the phone numbers for the two General Manager from Columbia and Augusta so the Ft. Stockton General Manager can find out the experiences from the other two locations. Maybe this will help move this project along. I stayed in the Ft. Stockton Hampton Inn in March used their 110VAC to gain 30 miles overnight so I could drive at a reasonable speed traveling from Van Horn to Ozona.

Nicely done and thanks for the info. Hopefully Tesla does everything possible to get this last location in place and does not charge a fee, even if that’s their intention going forward with new sites. Odd, given the pending competition, but who knows.

Less friction, more action.

The SC at Custer, SD, after ground breaking, just went live in record time. Along the way prior to shovels in the ground, it faced some return trips to the city council to get/re-get approvals for various things. A remarkable job by all parties involved, and in particular by the head of their Chamber of Commerce (and the mayor, and Tesla, and the construction crew, and the host property owners) in any case. That grand opening was today.

We need that kind of leadership and dedication for the Fort Stockton SC.

Charging a fee to install SC's doesn't make sense since they're supposed to make this up by an ever-growing fleet of M3's and other new and used Teslas that will be paying for watts and perhaps a small uplift for the SC's and maintenance. Tesla needs the strategic placement of SC's now, and it is hard to believe as long as it has taken to get this far, destination properties would hop on board. Ya, give them the space for free but destination charging doesn't guarantee that Hampton Inn's will collect any business. I'll charge at the Hampton Inn and stay at the Days Inn across the street? Doesn't make sense to me. Ya, I'll eat at Carl's but at noontime I still want to drive on, especially if I'm in FS....

Last edited:
Charging a fee to install SC's doesn't make sense since they're supposed to make this up by an ever-growing fleet of M3's and other new and used Teslas that will be paying for watts and perhaps a small uplift for the SC's and maintenance. Tesla needs the strategic placement of SC's now, and it is hard to believe as long as it has taken to get this far, destination properties would hop on board. Ya, give them the space for free but destination charging doesn't guarantee that Hampton Inn's will collect any business. I'll charge at the Hampton Inn and stay at the Days Inn across the street? Doesn't make sense to me. Ya, I'll eat at Carl's but at noontime I still want to drive on, especially if I'm in FS....
I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to say here. Of course 100% of people who use the superchargers won't stay at the host hotel, but it definitely increases their chances! I often stay at hotels that host superchargers, partly out of convenience and partly because I want to give them some business for hosting the site (I always let them know I'm charging there when I check in).

I tend to travel at a fairly break neck speed with many supercharging stops in a day, but I would estimate that I stay at about 20% of supercharging stops that are hosted by hotels. When I'm getting near the end of my day, I usually look at the next 2 or 3 superchargers on my route and if one of them is at or near a hotel, I will try to stay there.

Of course 100% of people who use the superchargers won't stay at the host hotel, but it definitely increases their chances!

That is the point. From the hotel's perspective maybe it should be quid pro quo. Tesla gets the space 24/7, when the hotel's best chance to capture the guest would be late afternoon, early evening. Some here also say they travel at night, so they are unlikely to get that business.

I often stay at hotels that host superchargers, partly out of convenience and partly because I want to give them some business for hosting the site

I venture to say that many here also chase hotel points and airline miles. Sure, Hampton Inn might not be a bad place to stay, and it's a no-brainer for members of the Hilton loyalty program, but I've got tons Marriott and IHG points to burn. Case in point for an upcoming road trip, I'll be charging in Gallup, NM. I will not be staying at the Hampton Inn (colocated with the SC). I plan to stay at the Fairfield Inn & Suites instead. Page, AZ is an example of the opposite. The SC is colocated with the Marriott Courtyard is outrageously priced for the time of my visit. I will charge there but I'll burn my IHG hotel points at the much less expensive, and arguably better, Holiday Inn.

Yes, I agree the Hampton Inn will get some business off the SC but free space dedicated for Tesla is pretty sweet as well. In the end, we all win irrespective of where we stay or eat and I will most likely always eat at whatever diner or dive is colocated with a Tesla SC. It takes me just about 60 minutes to down one of those greasy burgers anyway. As I said before, I'll be sailing through this backwater in less than three minutes. If I run out of electrons, I've always got AAA Premier and a free 200-mile flatbed ride. :)

That is the point. From the hotel's perspective maybe it should be quid pro quo. Tesla gets the space 24/7, when the hotel's best chance to capture the guest would be late afternoon, early evening. Some here also say they travel at night, so they are unlikely to get that business.

I venture to say that many here also chase hotel points and airline miles. Sure, Hampton Inn might not be a bad place to stay, and it's a no-brainer for members of the Hilton loyalty program, but I've got tons Marriott and IHG points to burn. Case in point for an upcoming road trip, I'll be charging in Gallup, NM. I will not be staying at the Hampton Inn (colocated with the SC). I plan to stay at the Fairfield Inn & Suites instead. Page, AZ is an example of the opposite. The SC is colocated with the Marriott Courtyard is outrageously priced for the time of my visit. I will charge there but I'll burn my IHG hotel points at the much less expensive, and arguably better, Holiday Inn.

Yes, I agree the Hampton Inn will get some business off the SC but free space dedicated for Tesla is pretty sweet as well. In the end, we all win irrespective of where we stay or eat and I will most likely always eat at whatever diner or dive is colocated with a Tesla SC. It takes me just about 60 minutes to down one of those greasy burgers anyway. As I said before, I'll be sailing through this backwater in less than three minutes. If I run out of electrons, I've always got AAA Premier and a free 200-mile flatbed ride. :)
You're making a lot of assumptions that people travel the exact same way that you do.

Not everyone bothers with all the reward points and even those that do may just stay at the supercharger host anyway as it's convenient and saves an hour. Besides you can always use the points later on down the road. You also seem to think that people who travel at night don't stay in hotels? I don't even know why you would think this. I am a night owl but I frequently check into a hotel between midnight and 5am, usually checking out between noon and 2pm.

And I guess I'm more picky about what I eat than some people are. I will eat at near a supercharger if there is something decent, but I would never eat at some crappy diner just because it was the only thing available nearby. I'd rather get something I like before I plug in and then eat while I charge.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
I would never eat at some crappy diner just because it was the only thing available nearby. I'd rather get something I like before I plug in and then eat while I charge.

Fast food or diner, either is pretty much the bottom of the barrel. I agree that swinging by a Subway and eating at the SC is a better option but not one that's always available. At 71 years, I enjoy turning in at 9 pm and getting up around 7 am.

I frequently check into a hotel between midnight and 5am, usually checking out between noon and 2pm.

A don't drive at night, as I have some depth perception problems, something all of us may experience in their seniority. But that's life.

PLUS EV: There are some places where you have to (ahem) lower your standards. West Texas is not exactly West Hollywood or even West Seattle. Please be aware that what your picky tastes desire just simply may not be available. (The only pate out here may be potted Spam..............or cat food.)

I've been trying to get this across to Tesla fo over a year now. No luck. No comprehension. None.
For destination chargers I was asked to go find a parking garage or a mall. Obviously the source of this advice has never been to West Texas. Makes you understand a bit better about the screwed up SC and DC situation out here - the Tesla people in charge have no clue about the area other than what Hollywood shows them.

PLUS EV: There are some places where you have to (ahem) lower your standards. West Texas is not exactly West Hollywood or even West Seattle. Please be aware that what your picky tastes desire just simply may not be available. (The only pate out here may be potted Spam..............or cat food.)

I've been trying to get this across to Tesla fo over a year now. No luck. No comprehension. None.
For destination chargers I was asked to go find a parking garage or a mall. Obviously the source of this advice has never been to West Texas. Makes you understand a bit better about the screwed up SC and DC situation out here - the Tesla people in charge have no clue about the area other than what Hollywood shows them.
Nothing in my recent posts was about West Texas (apologies for being off-topic).

Will that be before or after I become too old to drive?:rolleyes:

Don't worry. Your Tesla will "definitely" drive you everywhere by itself by then.;)

fatal_crash_rate_2x.png

Fixating on this seems unhealthy. But in general, the more likely I think a crash is, the less likely one becomes, which is a strange kind of reverse placebo effect.

from xkcd: Fatal Crash Rate

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: jbcarioca
PLUS EV: There are some places where you have to (ahem) lower your standards

For destination chargers I was asked to go find a parking garage or a mall. .
Now we should be serious, since you're raising crucial issues.

Here are some alternative ways to solve this problem:
( I apologize for plagarizing the intellectual leadership of Hugh Everett in quantum dynamics)
Annie Riggs Memorial Museum and Mall- excellent location permitting overnight stays, museum visits;
Paisano Pete Memorial multi-modal Parking Emporium- offers the only railcar, stagecoach, RV, car, truck, and horse parking establishment in Fort Stockton;
I know there are others. We only require urbane names. With all that empty space we could even set up a shopping center.
Paisano Pete does certainly outclass that bale of twine in Kansas.
Honestly, if they'd open teh Superchargers Fort Stockton would actually get business. Tesla, by now, must understand that. After all Elon wants the trans Canada Highway, much of which is not more developed than is Fort Stockton.

Maybe with the available land, both east and west of Fort Stockton, this would be a great spot for Elon Musk to open up one of those "TESLA CENTERS", one with a 40-stall Supercharger, full parking cover with Solar, a nice LOUNGE, and do not forget, the 50's Style Dinner, Drive-In, with Roller Skate servers. I bet it would attract more locals than Tesla drivers, and have something the other Fort Stockton restaurants don't.

Heck, I bet more ICE drivers would stop than we have Tesla drivers pass through.

Just a thought ....

Reactions: dhanson865