Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still need to watch out for the winds out here, especially heading west. Anything south is very iffy. 14-50s are considered state-of-the-art.
Check PlugShare to verify. Tesla is frustratingly and consistently absent in this area.

I agree. Even with a 100D it would be nice to be able to skip a SC and charge at the next one, if anything for the range one paid for. Ya, the population of SCs in the southwest and west Texas is pretty sparse. Minimally, if I thought I could make Junction just before approaching Ozona, I would check the availability and status of the SC at Junction before continuing on.

I've been down to 5% battery a couple times with warnings popping up to keep speed under 60 in order to reach the next SC. The feeling is much worse than maybe running out of gas, pulling out your empty gas can from the trunk, and thumbing it to the next filling station.

Reactions: avesraggiana
... the Austin Service Center... told me to think about how state government has been trying to block Tesla from the get go:-(

Sure.
'Cause the guys in Austin are privy to what goes on in Ft. Stockton. [eyeroll]

And the state government has anything to do with supercharger permitting or construction. [bigger eyeroll]

And this "Deep [Oil] State" has been soooo effective stopping superchargers throughout Texas. [eyes now staring straight back into my brain]

I asked Tesla what the deal-e-o was; even offered to donate land, but got no response.

Sure.
'Cause the guys in Austin are privy to what goes on in Ft. Stockton. [eyeroll]

And the state government has anything to do with supercharger permitting or construction. [bigger eyeroll]

And this "Deep [Oil] State" has been soooo effective stopping superchargers throughout Texas. [eyes now staring straight back into my brain]

I asked Tesla what the deal-e-o was; even offered to donate land, but got no response.
I agree. I am not buying the conspiracy theories. For all the fact that Tesla cannot sell here, this is a red state and all that, Texas (I would presume) has the highest number of Teslas outside of CA.

Will that be before or after I become too old to drive?:rolleyes:

Indeed - It’s a race between the day they take our licenses away versus the advent of functional FSD.

Although judging from the age of that expired permit, perhaps the joke’s on us and FSD stands for “Fort Stockton Delay” instead.

Hey, hope springs eternal. Wasn’t that one of Fort Stockton’s early strategic advantages? Access to water? :)

I’ll see myself out...

• Funny
Reactions: BerTX and jbcarioca
After Charlie talked to the City folks I got the impression that the hold-up was all on Tesla. Am I wrong? All this time we have been putting the blame on Fort Stockton and not willing to approve permits, but they have already approved them but no action by TESLA.

After Charlie talked to the City folks I got the impression that the hold-up was all on Tesla. Am I wrong? All this time we have been putting the blame on Fort Stockton and not willing to approve permits, but they have already approved them but no action by TESLA.

Hmmm.

If only we could get a straight answer and timely follow-up (beyond boilerplate and non-committal pablum) from Tesla.

Perhaps with the incoming “flat management structure”, Elon will grace us with what serves these days as an executive communication (aka a tweet).

It would be refreshing if someone within Tesla would take ownership for this last link in the first and safest year-round transcontinental SC route.

Oh, and about that hokum concerning I-10 being unsafe - take the SoCal/Los Angeles leg of I-10 out of the mix and have another look.

This just needs to get done. C’mon, Warren - step up and expand yer Flying J truck stop, er, travel plaza in FS. Why, if you enable 8 SC pedestals (you’ll need 4 anyway for the impending Tesla Semi traffic), I’d even consider going to one of your Dairy Queens for the first time in decades. That’s a fair deal - amIrite?

Reactions: Graffi
My conclusion that "It is Tesla's Fault" was firmed up after I went to the BW+ and met with the GM and his boss. This is the location where the original SC was to have been installed. They had detailed knowledge of the SC layout, permit, and other information. This conversation reinforced a "mea culpa" email I received from Tesla.

I have been specifically informed of delays in San Antonio and Austin caused by City, County and/or Dealership intervention.
Perhaps something similar happened in Fort Stockton, I don't know.
People at Tesla know - but they don't say anything for fear of ending up in the papers or on Elon's s*** list.

Tesla owners don't get a State tax break like other EV purchasers. Why is that?
Please check Red McCombs' comments on the subject of Tesla in Texas. Don't underestimate his influence here.
Even Warren Buffett can't overcome the dealership cartel:
Warren Buffett's car dealerships can't get over Texas regulatory roadblock | Business | Dallas News

Yes, some of the theories fall directly into the "crazy nutcase" category, but it would be naive to believe that the Texas dealerships have no influence in Tesla's business.

(I do have first-hand knowledge of Texas dealers who would dearly love to have a Tesla franchise.)

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
Reactions: Pale_Rider