Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes indeed. The question is: can you compete with dealers like Red McCombs?

I know that interference with permitting was alluded to earlier in the thread as well. All of Fort Stockton's city counsel meetings and special sessions are public records and are online. Even when they invoke a closed meeting the subject matter and who was present is posted. I read every thing going back 12 months and there was zero mention of Tesla or any interaction with competitive businesses. They seem mostly consumed with an issue around city water supply and some sort of drama around the city manager position. There were some discussions around permit issues and waivers but nothing related to any sort of Tesla type construction. Oh, and the Atrium Inn is in some serious trouble with the city :eek:. Honestly, reading all those meeting minutes and transcripts, I got the impression that the council and the city staff are a fairly stand up bunch of folks. I guess there could be some passive aggressive behind the scenes stuff, but I really don't think the supercharger is even on their radar screen.

I know that interference with permitting was alluded to earlier in the thread as well. All of Fort Stockton's city counsel meetings and special sessions are public records and are online. Even when they invoke a closed meeting the subject matter and who was present is posted. I read every thing going back 12 months and there was zero mention of Tesla or any interaction with competitive businesses. They seem mostly consumed with an issue around city water supply and some sort of drama around the city manager position. There were some discussions around permit issues and waivers but nothing related to any sort of Tesla type construction. Oh, and the Atrium Inn is in some serious trouble with the city :eek:. Honestly, reading all those meeting minutes and transcripts, I got the impression that the council and the city staff are a fairly stand up bunch of folks. I guess there could be some passive aggressive behind the scenes stuff, but I really don't think the supercharger is even on their radar screen.
So what you are saying is that, unlike politics in other parts of the country, all requests for political favors are a matter of public record in Fort Stockton?:rolleyes:

EDIT: oops, yeah, what @TexasEV said...

• Funny
Reactions: Snerruc
Thank you GWord, good job!

The city council in San Antonio voted down Tesla time and again.
Council members were heavily influenced by the dealer network - but I don't think you will find anything to document that influence.
The Council members were ill informed and ignorant, as documented by their arguments.

I was told that the Tesla Supercharger was to be located outside Fort Stockton city limits.
I don't know why I was given that information - or disinformation.

If you view the gerrymandered city limits of Fort Stockton one might question how such a situation evolved.
My conclusion, right or wrong, is that "brother-in-law" politics is alive and well in Fort Stockton.
I fear that Tesla is caught up in that.

Doug May of the Fort Stockton Economic Development Corporation was cited as a reference.
I have not yet been able to speak with him directly. Perhaps one of you will have better luck.
Contact FS EDC – Fort Stockton EDC

Charlie

Do you really think that any political pressure from the auto dealer cartel (if it happened) would be reflected in the city council minutes?

Sure, maybe it's Roscoe and Boss Hog causing problems using grand political intrigue. :D Any discussion of a permit modification or protest on the part of Tesla would have to go through the council if I'm interpreting their muni code correctly. I suppose my real point wasn't to indulge in conspiracy theories, rather, to say that there appears to be zero public discussion, despite evidence of small town, good ole boy drama in other areas. I guess if one were to rank plausibilities in order, maybe it seems more likely that something like a location change would be higher on the list?

Ha well that's obviously not true and it isn't just I-10, or even just the interstates. Try driving to Diamond, OR and back using only superchargers. Also, the "N Alaska" implies that you can somehow drive to southern Alaska on the supercharger network. Wha???

It might be true... if you have a 100KWh battery. I've made the trip (Ozona to Van Horn to Midland) and it's possible with the big battery but even then there isn't much margin.
Yes, but can you drive from El Paso (or even Truth or Consequences) to Casa Grande on one charge? Maybe with an S100D in summer with no a/c, all windows closed driving 40mph with the hazards on and suspension low :) And even then you wouldn't be able to make the return trip due to the elevation change.

Of course there is also North Dakota!

Yes, but can you drive from El Paso (or even Truth or Consequences) to Casa Grande on one charge? Maybe with an S100D in summer with no a/c, all windows closed driving 40mph with the hazards on and suspension low :) And even then you wouldn't be able to make the return trip due to the elevation change.

Of course there is also North Dakota!
Who said anything about one charge? You can now get from El Paso to Casa Grande with superchargers by going up to Albuquerque, west on I-40, then south to Phoenix and beyond. Not that anyone would do it, of course, but it's possible.

I did, sort of. Truth or consequences came online only recently, so I travelled from San Diego east on i8, up past Phoenix to flagstaff, then east on I-40 through Albuquerque, Amarillo, then south to Austin. Took a full extra day over the direct I-10 route.