Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmmm... some surprising data in that fatal highways list.

To be clear, the only transcontinental route listed (transcontinental defined as a contiguous route from west coast to east coast) is I-10. It’s either that or relying upon I-40 or further north and those only get you so far before merging onto something else, yes?

As well, I-70 was closed in one or both directions at 11,300’ for the better part of a week last *mid-May* alone.

I’m not a fan of I-10, having driven it more times than I can count, but occasional flooding aside, I’d rather take my chances with it than with the more northerly route through Oklahoma, New Mexico and Northern Arizona.

I think of I-10 as the least worst year-round option, if you will. If I have to get somewhere in February, I’m taking that and not I-40 or I-70, in other words.

I get it. Nothing's perfect and you pick your own poison, but February begins our tornado season, which unfortunately has been increasing over the past ten years. Most of us in Texas live in some part of Tornado Alley, so we're sensitive to it. We got hailed on last week, fortunately no damage.

february-tornado-touchdown-conus-nws.gif

Source: U.S. Tornadoes - Examining United States tornadoes... past, present and future

And yes, the Fort Stockton SC grand opening gathering should be much fun - it will be great to meet you and hopefully a number of others from this thread and from the adjacent states’ owners clubs who may well drop by.

Commemorative railroad spikes for everybody!
Maybe those railroad spike / bottle openers. Seems very useful to keep in the car.[/quote][/QUOTE]

Last edited:
It's deaths per mile and I-95 is slightly higher than I-10. If you consider traffic volume, I-10 has much less traffic than I-95 and winds up with a higher fatalities per mile driven.

Source: 25 most deadly highways in the U.S.

Statistics like these are interesting and make for good conversation. But what concerns me about these statistics is that the entire stretch of highway is used to compile traffic deaths. They do not pinpoint which stretches of these roads incur the most fatalities. Perhaps >50% of fatalities on a selected route occurs over a 250-mile segment, while the remaining 2,000-mile segment(s) incur much fewer.

Another important data point would be to list the types of collisions that resulted in fatalities. How many were one-vehicle fatalities where the driver fell asleep or was drunk? How many were chain reaction fatalities? How many were due to driving too fast for the road conditions or traffic?

Gorgeous drive down I10. I have never seen so many wind turbines.

We just completed the haul from Ozona to Marfa which is a bit closer than Van Horn. I drive a 75rwd. We stayed at 67 or below and charged to 99%. It was low 60s outside and averaged 330 watt per mile.

Navigation was terrible so we went to Iraan to top up to 96%. When we arrived in Iraan, the navigation said we could get to Marfa with 6% which is 10% having not gone out of our way. We made it to Marfa with 20% and went over 70 some of the way. I'd probably stop in Iraan again if making the same journey. The turbines start in Iraan and end before Fort Stockton. This leg of the journey really could use a charger in Stockton.

FYI:
Good morning Mr. Stuckey,

My name is Remie Ramos, I am the new EDC director that replaced Mr. May
after his retirement. I apologize for the delayed response but I wanted to
verify information before replying. The building permits have all been
approved and permitted on our side then construction never began. Just this
month we received a new set of prints for charging station at a different
location. I have verified with out code office that these have been
permitted and are just awaiting the payment to issue the local building
permits.

I will keep you posted of any new updates.

Have a great day,

Remie A. Ramos
Executive Director

In case anyone is or has aspired to be as much of a travel program ho as I seem to have turned into, do note that Best Western's loyalty program folks will now match status with any competing hotel program. Easy online process, which I just initiated after realizing a couple of things.

The first being, as youse are well aware, that the West Texas oil boom is definitely in full swing, which puts generic 3-star hotel rooms at Fort Stockton in sight of $200/night out the door. By comparison, those rooms would garner maybe $60/night out the door in Anywhere Else, USA. The Best Western there is 4-stars and then some, for maybe $5 more/night than the Wyndham properties. Should a minor miracle occur and a SC materialize at the BW in FS in our lifetimes, I'm staying there for the Golden Spike grand opening shindig.

The second is the realization that I keep encountering nicer than expected Best Western properties all over the place (the aforementioned Shasta, California in the shadow of Mount Shasta, Merritt, British Columbia in the shadow of nothing but it's a nice interim stop before Kamloops, and this Fort Stockton property at least from what I can tell remotely so far). Coincidentally, 2 of those 3 properties have SCs. Hmmm. Almost a trend. But what's missing from this picture?

Feel no pressure, Tesla, but this really needs to get done mas rapido. North Dakota can wait. Nobody travels through North Dakota to get from the most populous state in America to the city with the best hot dogs. Or to the southernmost point in the country, even. Nobody.

...Feel no pressure, Tesla, but this really needs to get done mas rapido. North Dakota can wait. Nobody travels through North Dakota to get from the most populous state in America to the city with the best hot dogs. Or to the southernmost point in the country, even. Nobody.
BZZZZZT!
Answer incorrect but thanks for playing.

Fort Stockton TX needs SC.
Fargo ND needs SC.
Grand Forks ND needs SC.
Pembina ND needs SC.

All of these would solve some significant travel problems.

We need to be singing in harmony here, not play "My site's more important than your's".

Reactions: MP3Mike
BZZZZZT!
Answer incorrect but thanks for playing.

Fort Stockton TX needs SC.
Fargo ND needs SC.
Grand Forks ND needs SC.
Pembina ND needs SC.

All of these would solve some significant travel problems.

We need to be singing in harmony here, not play "My site's more important than your's".

Hogwash. The only equivalency there is a false equivalency.

When we’re all done singing kumbayah, let me know which North Dakota SC permit is 500 days expired.

More owners in CA, TX and FL are at higher risk without a year-around all-weather transcontinental route than even live in North Dakota.

Did they start by putting in SCs in Arkansas or North Dakota or Hawaii or Alaska? No, no they did not.

Fortunately for North Dakota and any other states with more fracking wells than people, Tesla can walk and chew gum at the same time. From a quick glance at supercharge.info, one might even get the impression that more than one SC are getting built simultaneously.

It would be nice if all remaining SCs were built tomorrow and came with one of these:

6BA5003E-23FB-4FE7-A8D8-4DE9063276B6.gif

In the meantime, if it came down to the last 2 SCs on the planet and they happened to be in TX and ND, well, that’s just not a hard decision.

Why, yes, both of course - kumbayaaaaaaah, kumbayaaaaaa. Everybody gets a pony! Wheeeee. Fairy tales and rainbows. Happy thoughts!

But Fort Stockton gets built first :).

Feel no pressure, Tesla, but this really needs to get done mas rapido. North Dakota can wait. Nobody travels through North Dakota to get from the most populous state in America to the city with the best hot dogs. Or to the southernmost point in the country, even. Nobody.
Wow. Sometimes this site reveals just how outrageously egotistical some folks are, and how amazingly much they have overestimated the value and veracity of their own opinions.

Wow. Sometimes this site reveals just how outrageously egotistical some folks are, and how amazingly much they have overestimated the value and veracity of their own opinions.

In the words of the Church Lady: Isn't that special.

Yeah, it's just so outrageous that someone would travel from California to Florida BY WAY OF NORTH DAKOTA before choosing the I-10 route year-round.

*literally laughing out loud*

And never mind that the original objection completely missed the point of the post, which was to note a useful program-related note for what could very well end up being the host property in Fort Stockton.

But by all means, go right ahead and find something else to be offended about.

I agree. It wasn’t long after I joined TMC that I realized I was the most important person on the forum, and every post creates ripples in the fabric of space/time, often altering the course of history. Heavy sits the crown.