Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please plan the celebration for a weekend. How about Veteran's Day weekend?

I'm probably not the only one who might be willing to come from a long distance (VA in my case) but to make it work will need a bit of time to clear calendar. I would probably need a minimum of five days round trip, even with very long days of driving.

Mark covers all of Texas...I caught him commissioning the Northwest Houston Supercharger and had a great conversation.
He covers a lot more than just Texas! I met him at the supercharger in Eau Claire, Wisconsin about a year ago. We had a nice long conversation about our supercharger travels. We were having fun trying to figure out who had been to more superchargers. At the time I think he had me beat, but I'm guessing I would be ahead of him now. He said he'd never been to the British Columbia superchargers, but he had clearly been all over the US and even up into Ontario and Quebec.

He's based out of Houston so I figured he would be the one to flip the switch on these two. Not that Houston is super close to Fort Stockton and Pecos, but he's still probably closer than anyone else who could do the job.

Break out the ice skates! How many days since that first permit was pulled? Kudos to the construction crew for getting both in expeditiously. And apparently to the Tesla rep who has evidently tarried no longer in numbering and activation.

The sooner we get a date and penultimate itinerary together for ye olde Golden Spike soiree and Merriment To Follow Directly Thereafter, the better - looks like a solid start already upthread. Socializing both with the Tesla owners clubs across the continent both before and after the holidays will help spread the word - I have an email address for that somewhere, plus will follow up with the clubs that have already PMd.

Fun, fun, fun.

Finally . . . you can die a happy man.

Not even close. (Childress TX was a couple of days according to supercharge.info. Channelview was so fast they didn't get the permit or construction dates listed before it was open)
Yeah all that means is they weren't discovered until just before they opened. We don't really know how long those two were under construction.

Fort Stockton on the other hand, we were watching pretty much daily for the last few years so we have a fairly precise idea how long it took.

Photo on PlugShare of the Supercharger. The green light is totally not photoshopped
31F4AAB1-EC0A-40E9-A5DB-25EA3314DA0D.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just spoke with Troy from he FJ. He is amazed with the number of calls he's been getting. I assured him the call frequency will go down as word gets out. Hope I am right!

Golden Spike: will start firming up dates with the locals in Fort Stockton, Fort Davis, Alpine, Marathon, and Marfa today.

I propose two events:

1) Official I-10 Golden Spike event on Saturday, February 2nd (Super Bowl on Sunday) or on Saturday, the 9th. Almost no moon on the 2nd - outstanding star views (read a newspaper by star light), waxing crescent moon sets at midnight if we choose the 9th. Your preference please? Slow time for the hotels - so they want us. Hotels with fireplaces: Hotel Limpia (Fort Davis), Hotel Paisano (Marfa), Gage Hotel (Marathon). The Reata restaurant in Alpine and the White Buffalo (Gage Hotel) have fireplaces, too.

2) Tesla EV Rally - August 24, 2019: the monsoons start around July 4th, so by the end of August the desert will have her pretty clothes on. Rainbows, lush vegetation, all the restaurants and bars will be open and happy to have us. This would be a good trip for kids and families.
Spring-fed pool at Balmorhea should be open by then.

Please vote on your favorite days (of course not limited to the above) and I'll start work out here.
If anyone wants to help, or even take it over, just let me know.

How about counting the votes and firming up the date by Monday, October 29? (Don't have to worry about hanging chads.)

Might take a couple of research field trips to really nail this down, eh?

My official vote: February 2 and August 24

• Informative
Reactions: MarcoRP