Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Genoa, OH - Blue Heron & Wyandot Service Plazas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Big Earl

bnkwupt
Supporting Member
Jul 12, 2017
La Conner, WA
I was heading eastbound on the Ohio Turnpike yesterday and spotted a fenced area at the Blue Heron (westbound) and Wyandot (eastbound) service plazas. I just checked tesla.com/findus and sure enough, there's a coming soon pin for Genoa, Ohio with a targeted opening of Q2 2022. It's great to see Superchargers finally showing up on the Ohio Turnpike!

Fencing is up at both plazas adjacent to the existing Electrify America chargers on the side of the parking lots by the enclosed dog park. Conduit is on-site, so I'd say each of these sites is deserving of a construction cone on Supercharge.info.

The Wyandot Service Plaza (eastbound) site is located at 41.48996460317609, -83.37048053741456 and the Blue Heron Plaza (westbound) site is located at 41.49070784267853, -83.36673617362977

Unfortunately I don't have pictures since it's a pretty big detour to turn around on the turnpike, but I saw it with my own eyes. Perhaps someone can venture out there and get pics for the thread. :)

@Chuq @corywright @MarcoRP

Genoa OH superchargers.png

Genoa - Wyandot Service Plaza E, OH

Along Primary Interstates: I-80, I-90
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): None
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None
Along State Routes: None

I-80

To: Strongsville, OH - 86.8 miles
Diversion: 0.2 miles
To: Macedonia, OH - 108.2 miles

I-90

To: Sheffield, OH - 71.7 miles
Diversion: 0.2 miles
To: Erie, PA - 191.8 miles

Another state, another pair of travel plazas.
Adds a v3 on a stretch that's only v2, and splits a 105.3 mile gap on I-80.

My first post on this community.

This is music to my ears! My wife and I will get a Model 3 LR in July '22 when our current lease runs out and we regularly drive NYC to Chicago to visit family with a trip expected end August '22. In our current gas car, we do 4 stops over the 820 mile distance with one of them being these exact travel plazas. I was always concerned about having to exit the turnpike for a charge between Falls Creek, PA and Howe, IN since all the Ohio V2s are off highway. Amazing news, hope it goes without a hitch and I hope to use this location once each way :)

My first post on this community.

This is music to my ears! My wife and I will get a Model 3 LR in July '22 when our current lease runs out and we regularly drive NYC to Chicago to visit family with a trip expected end August '22. In our current gas car, we do 4 stops over the 820 mile distance with one of them being these exact travel plazas. I was always concerned about having to exit the turnpike for a charge between Falls Creek, PA and Howe, IN since all the Ohio V2s are off highway. Amazing news, hope it goes without a hitch and I hope to use this location once each way :)
Welcome! The current order backlog is 2 to 6 months for a Model 3 depending on configuration. Keep this in mind so you can time delivery before your lease ends.

We drive this route frequently to get from DC to Michigan. Having Superchargers on the turnpike will be a big help as Strongsville and Maumee are both very busy and require a bit of a detour.

Last edited:
I passed through the Wyandot Plaza East on the Ohio Turnpike last night on my way home to Erie, PA. I took these pictures of the V3 deliveries on site and the work that is already ongoing. It appears that they must plan to extend the parking lot to create the spaces of the Superchargers as the excavation is not at the edge of the current curb. Counting the foundation blocks it looks like 6 chargers. Looking across the highway at the westbound service plaza, it looked like the work was in the same exact state of progress as the east bound plaza.
IMG-7422.jpg
IMG-7418.jpg
IMG-7419.jpg
IMG-7416.jpg
IMG-7417.jpg

Welcome! The current order backlog is 2 to 6 months for a Model 3 depending on configuration. Keep this in mind so you can time delivery before your lease ends.

We drive this route frequently to get from DC to Michigan. Having Superchargers on the turnpike will be a big help as Strongsville and Maumee are both very busy and require a bit of a detour.
Thank you. Definitely keeping an eye on the configurator. Pretty much decided it's a Red LR with black interior and will time my deposit for an August '22 delivery. At least I'll try to :)

I passed through the Wyandot Plaza East on the Ohio Turnpike last night on my way home to Erie, PA. I took these pictures of the V3 deliveries on site and the work that is already ongoing. It appears that they must plan to extend the parking lot to create the spaces of the Superchargers as the excavation is not at the edge of the current curb. Counting the foundation blocks it looks like 6 chargers. Looking across the highway at the westbound service plaza, it looked like the work was in the same exact state of progress as the east bound plaza.
I'm a noob but I believe Tesla only does multiples of 4 for their V3s? So either 4 or 8. I recently saw an 8 unit setup at Howe, IN.

I'm a noob but I believe Tesla only does multiples of 4 for their V3s?
That is the default in the US. But it doesn't always happen in practice. For one reason or another they sometimes end up with odd numbers of stalls. But 4 to a V3 supercharger cabinet is always a safe assumption.

In Europe and Asia, they are mainly installing the V3s in multiples of 3 (i.e. 3 stalls per supercharger cabinet). Not sure why the difference.

Reactions: PStewart
Not unless you work for the Turnpike Authority, the Ohio State Police or some ambulance service and have access to the back gate.
ay frunk puppy :p, those roads may be public frunk. I was eyeing streetview and it looks like both roads leading form the superchargers (and connected by Township Road 165) on either side are not gate. Will see if I can get a local to confirm. Did a lot of work in Toledo over a span of 10 years, so there’s bound to be someone I know close by.

ay frunk puppy :p, those roads may be public frunk. I was eyeing streetview and it looks like both roads leading form the superchargers (and connected by Township Road 165) on either side are not gate. Will see if I can get a local to confirm. Did a lot of work in Toledo over a span of 10 years, so there’s bound to be someone I know close by.
Errr disregard that second frunk.

Go ahead and ask around. There are large electronic gates that separate the employee parking road from the tolled side of the service plaza.

107D72A2-E582-47C8-95E8-E6E3F42FEF32.jpeg
DC31AC5C-E488-4722-82B6-4E761F6B47BB.jpeg

3780E5E7-F10A-4D55-996D-7E6F51F77AE7.jpeg

Reactions: PStewart and enowu
Oh yeh, clear enough. Sorry was super excited to see a few more superchargers pop up in Ohio and the angle os the sun made it hard to tell.

9DCD1BDB-399C-43A4-AFD0-BDEB6B94DA50.png

Come to think, it wouldn’t make sense to have local access for that Supercharger due to the whole toll road idea. Even if they did open that access road, a driver wouldn't be able to get to that parking area.

Suppose it would have been pretty cool if they put the supercharger on the concrete barrier dividing the lot before the gate, and the truck access way. Then they could open that charger up for both local traffic and turnpike traffic, while keeping local and turnpike traffic separate.

As well, this supercharger is pretty necessary for bridging that I-80 gap, as charging at Maumee just isn’t convenient. You’d have to go through a toll booth entering and exiting 80. Then lord knows, wait at that ungodly slow supercharger (if the ports works). So the construction of these new superchargers should mean that Maumee will be freed up for local traffic, and will hopefully will operate better.

Come to think, it wouldn’t make sense to have local access for that Supercharger due to the whole toll road idea. Even if they did open that access road, a driver wouldn't be able to get to that parking area.

Suppose it would have been pretty cool if they put the supercharger on the concrete barrier dividing the lot before the gate, and the truck access way. Then they could open that charger up for both local traffic and turnpike traffic, while keeping local and turnpike traffic separate.

As well, this supercharger is pretty necessary for bridging that I-80 gap, as charging at Maumee just isn’t convenient. You’d have to go through a toll booth entering and exiting 80. Then lord knows, wait at that ungodly slow supercharger (if the ports works). So the construction of these new superchargers should mean that Maumee will be freed up for local traffic, and will hopefully will operate better.

Local traffic, if they're going far east or west would use the pike anyway. Those who are within 100 miles of their home wouldn't really need to use it. Of course, this one will definitely reduce the load on Maumee as it's so convenient.

Local traffic, if they're going far east or west would use the pike anyway. Those who are within 100 miles of their home wouldn't really need to use it. Of course, this one will definitely reduce the load on Maumee as it's so convenient.
I would say no local is going to pay to use the toll road,. It’s a lot quicker to use local roads, and less of a hassle. The stretch between west Cleveland and Toledo is lightly populated (come to think that applies to most Ohio highways). The local roads are mostly country roads with very little population density, so it’s just you and the open road, and little stoppage.

I actually prefer OH-2, the parallel local highway, for driving that stretch. Not only do you have more options to stop off and take a break/eat, but it’s more relaxing and only adds 15 minutes to the trip.

Had a chance to drive that stretch between Cleveland and Maumee with my 2018 M3 LR during a cross country trip earlier this year. As a Tesla owner, taking that route was less terrifying than the turnpike. Mainly because on OH-2, there is a supercharger halfway in Sandusky.

Initially, NOA did want to take the turnpike, but the trip computer was anticipating single digit battery levels on arrival. This meant I would likely receive the advisory to reduce speed to make it to the destination. When everyone is tailing and whipping by you at about 80mph and likely more, the drive becomes anxious.

I’d be inclined to try the turnpike though, after the addition of this supercharger.