Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Grand Junction, CO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MitchMitch

Lurker In Chief
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2012
Colorado
Mesa Mall Location Confirmed. VERY Earlier construction phase despite recent snow - no fence yet.
GREAT location between Cabela's and Sears - near Outback Steak House, IHOP, McD's, Movie Theaters . . . .
I briefly spoke with surprised crew and snapped hasty cell phone pics.
Google map:2420 U.S. 6, GrandJunction, CO 81505
Link: <https://maps.google.com/maps?q=39.090788,-108.604408&num=1&t=h&vpsrc=0&hl=en&ie=UTF8&z=19>
GJ Tesla SC 1.jpg
GJ Tesla SC 3.jpg
GJ Tesla SC 2.jpg

I didn't ask specifically where they were from, but they were working out of a local trailer.
I asked about their project and they volunteered the Tesla name.
Perhaps just doing basic preliminary work?

That's more than preliminary work, the concrete pads and setting the large conduits are a big part of the job! Who photoshopped the TESLA on the trailer plate?

Apparently QHI is a very local concrete (sub)contractor. Hence the 'preliminary' - - Fine by me!!

The Farmington, NM SC will now be '3 degrees from home'. Likewise Rapid City, SD SC.

This is just too much connectivity!! And too soon - how will I ever deal with this?? :rolleyes:
--

Colorado Superchargers still pretty quiet

Rubbing out plate numbers is good netiquette. I'll bet they would rather have their phone number exposed. They are a business and put it on the trailer to advertise.

Just made the drive from Durango to Denver in a 60 and was surprised to see so little activity at the SCs in Glenwood and Silverthorne. No other cars charging at Silverthorne or either time we stopped at Glenwood. I checked with the hotel staff person in Glenwood and she said I was the first person to use their superchargers that she had ever seen or had ever come into the hotel, which amazed me. Time to generate a little more business for these companies that are hosting supercharger sites! Still trying to work out a route back home -- might brave the new charging stations in Salida and Pagosa - thanks Cottonwood!

I've been to the Silverthorne SC twice now. The first time (on a weekend) there was one other Model S charging, and the second time (this past Monday), there were no other Tesla vehicles charging. Based on my conversations with several employees at the Silverthorne Outlet mall, they have not seen that much activity at the Silverthorne SC yet. Its probably because of the weather during the late fall, going into winter.

Update: Sure but steady progress has been impeded by bitter cold. Pesky inversion has been keeping temps below 0 for lows, and just below freezing for highs. Awesome, experienced, patient contractor Gary thought the weather could delay completion until mid January. Tesla equipment is onsite, and unlike Cheyenne WY, it looks like the transformer is ready to energize!
GJ Tesla SC 5.jpg
GJ Tesla SC 6.jpg
GJ Tesla SC 7.jpg
GJ Tesla SC 8.jpg

Has anybody else been in the area lately? Any picture updates?

Update: Sure but steady progress has been impeded by bitter cold. Pesky inversion has been keeping temps below 0 for lows, and just below freezing for highs. Awesome, experienced, patient contractor Gary thought the weather could delay completion until mid January. Tesla equipment is onsite, and unlike Cheyenne WY, it looks like the transformer is ready to energize!
View attachment 38860View attachment 38861View attachment 38862View attachment 38863
(double posted from Mountain/Southwest Section . . LOTS of other pic if you're interested)

> Based on my conversations with several employees at the Silverthorne Outlet mall, they have not seen that much activity at the Silverthorne SC yet. [GlennAlanBerry]

They are on the other side of the building and at the far end. Hey, we sneak in quick & then sneak out. For me yesterday was the first time I was all alone at Silverthorne for the entire session. Btw careful backing up: you hit the signpost before the curb!!

Outlets should set up a camera and a monitor in their office.
--

still not many users

> Based on my conversations with several employees at the Silverthorne Outlet mall, they have not seen that much activity at the Silverthorne SC yet. [GlennAlanBerry]

They are on the other side of the building and at the far end. Hey, we sneak in quick & then sneak out. For me yesterday was the first time I was all alone at Silverthorne for the entire session. Btw careful backing up: you hit the signpost before the curb!!

Outlets should set up a camera and a monitor in their office.
--

I visited Glenwood's SC 3 times in late December - always empty, and Silverthorne twice. It was empty the first time but 3 of us charged there on Dec 26 simultaneously. Does it increase charge speed to use every other port instead of adjacent ones? can't wait for grand junction to open!

When a group of Model S owners descended on Glenwood the first weekend it was open (I think there were five of us), I made a point of walking over to the hotel and asking the desk clerk to convey our thanks to management for cooperating with Tesla to make the Superchargers available. I haven't been back to Glenwood yet, but I have used Silverthorne a few times; ran into Cottonwood there once and saw one other Model S another time.

The Colorado SC's may be underutilized at present, but they are important links in the first east-west cross country Supercharger route. We can expect lots of charging traffic next summer when the weather is better and Elon's Route is fully operational.

I visited Glenwood's SC 3 times in late December - always empty, and Silverthorne twice. It was empty the first time but 3 of us charged there on Dec 26 simultaneously. Does it increase charge speed to use every other port instead of adjacent ones? can't wait for grand junction to open!

The stalls/pedestals are labled 1A/1B, 2A/2B, ... The number indicated the Supercharger cabinet which is limited to 120 kW total in most locations (90 kW in some old installs). That 120 kW is shared between the A and B stalls, currently giving priority to the first car to arrive. In Silverthorne the stalls are arranged as 1A 2A 3A 4A 1B 2B 3B 4B; in Glenwood, they are arranged as 1A 2A 3A 1B 2B 3B. Therefore adjacent ones are usually OK, just look a few stalls away to see if the same number is occupied; if it is, pick another stall where the paired number is not in use. Because the first to arrive gets priority, you don't have to worry about someone plugging into the paired number while you get a bite to eat; that's their problem.

If you do notice problems or just have questions, call the 877 number on the pedestal; I have always had a pleasant human take my call and thank me for letting them know of issues. Tesla has remote monitoring, but if you call in the issue, it makes sure someone notices and helps us all with getting SC problems addressed sooner.

Happy Supercharging! :biggrin:

This is a little misuse of this thread, but I wanted to put my answers on-line for Tesla Supercharger network - Page 299 without biasing others.

1. I don't think that it really matters if more Superchargers go online or not in December, but our country has a funny avoidance of the number 13. I predict that there will be 2+ more Superchargers put online in the end of December or none to avoid making the December total 13.
  2. I predict 15 Superchargers going online in January 2014.
  3. I think that Tesla will average 12-15 Supercharger installs a month in North America for 2014. There will be some ups and downs and perhaps a little pause after the "Elon Route" is finished, but 140-180 new Superchargers in 2014 is my (hopeful) prediction.
  4. The "Elon Route" will be finished in February 2014 for his trip in March. The only big gaps are the California desert (could use Vegas), Holbrook, AZ (it will start soon), and Western PA (I think it's started, but not found). There are just too many planning boards, utilities, and weather to finish it in January, but Elon will demand February so he is not embarrassed in March.
  5. My further prediction (perhaps hope) is that Tesla will continue and improve their "Destination Charging" program to get more and more HPWC's out there to fill in the routes off of the Supercharger grid and to provide a safety net for failed Superchargers.