Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Grand Junction, CO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When a group of Model S owners descended on Glenwood the first weekend it was open (I think there were five of us), I made a point of walking over to the hotel and asking the desk clerk to convey our thanks to management for cooperating with Tesla to make the Superchargers available. I haven't been back to Glenwood yet, but I have used Silverthorne a few times; ran into Cottonwood there once and saw one other Model S another time.

The Colorado SC's may be underutilized at present, but they are important links in the first east-west cross country Supercharger route. We can expect lots of charging traffic next summer when the weather is better and Elon's Route is fully operational.

The network is the ... Supercharger. As the network fills in you increase the number of possible trips, which increases both the size of the market and use of the Superchargers. As the number of Superchargers grows new Superchargers will also be more likely to make a connection and thus see more traffic immediately. With Q2 2014 seeing increased cell oroduction and therefore greater model S production you could akso see an increase in installation.

EDIT: and I agree with Cottonwood about the destination charging. Elon's road trip is through so e popular tourist areas and can be seen as "reinventing the road trip" through Supercharging but is also a good time to raise destination charging.

Last edited:
Fun Progress. Equipment nearly set up. Temps made it to 32F today. Compact design shaping up.
GJ Tesla SC 9.jpg
GJ Tesla SC 10.jpg

Guess we can celebrate the lack of crowds in the SW

The stalls/pedestals are labled 1A/1B, 2A/2B, ... The number indicated the Supercharger cabinet which is limited to 120 kW total in most locations (90 kW in some old installs). That 120 kW is shared between the A and B stalls, currently giving priority to the first car to arrive. In Silverthorne the stalls are arranged as 1A 2A 3A 4A 1B 2B 3B 4B; in Glenwood, they are arranged as 1A 2A 3A 1B 2B 3B. Therefore adjacent ones are usually OK, just look a few stalls away to see if the same number is occupied; if it is, pick another stall where the paired number is not in use. Because the first to arrive gets priority, you don't have to worry about someone plugging into the paired number while you get a bite to eat; that's their problem.

If you do notice problems or just have questions, call the 877 number on the pedestal; I have always had a pleasant human take my call and thank me for letting them know of issues. Tesla has remote monitoring, but if you call in the issue, it makes sure someone notices and helps us all with getting SC problems addressed sooner.

Happy Supercharging! :biggrin:

When I read about the queues forming in Hawthorne, I'm starting to feel thankful that I don't run into other users much at superchargers in Colorado!:smile: Planning a road trip from Durango, CO to Sonoma, CA and Yosemite in early February, though, and really hoping those Arizona and New Mexico superchargers get finished in the next few weeks! Are you guys thinking Grand Junction might fire up in early January?

Thanks also to Cottonwood for the explanation on how to extract maximum power flow from a crowded SC site - I'll pay closer attention to the stall numbers and letters when I get to those busy SCs in California!

Question: What's the highest power flow you guys have seen so far into your car at a supercharger? I noticed 300 amps at 321 volts when I was at Glenwood Springs last week, but am guessing it can go even higher on some of the 120 kW chargers. Does ambient temperature have any effect on charge rate?

This is such a great time. Whether Cheyenne or Gand Junction will power-on first. ?? Both will be good additions. I've plugged in at Silverthorne maybe five times. The Chipotle with a river view patio is getting to be my favorite spot for the 30-40 minute break. Last month, car-pooled a couple of guys from my work to a meeting in Vail. They are senior scientists, and were absolutely amazed at the simplicity and operation of the SC. We had a lunch, as I kept tabs on the almost 400 miles/hour charge. One said he's done with his Prius! Best comment of the trip...

Have an April trip planned to Grand Junction with my wife. Dog gets the whole back seat in his hammock sling, and there still will be plenty of room for the 200 little plants we need to bring back from a nursery. Then looking at a June trip to Rapid City area to stay a few days at a ranch.

Got my million mile card on United last year, but NO MORE AIRPLANES. Looking forward to seeing more os this country in a better way.... Happy New Year.

Showing up now on the TM Superchargers page: Supercharger | Tesla Motors.. Now showing a total of 58!

Yes, and Farmington, NM showed up there as well!!!

Blanding should be on-line in a few days, but Moab not for a couple of weeks. Even so, Grand Junction to Blanding will be possible in an 85, and with some hypermiling in a 60. Then you have Farmington and Gallup. Gallup to Flagstaff (also added today) is possible in an 85.

We Colorado MS owners are starting to be connected!

This was a big day for the 4-Corners region, 3 of the 4 states represented and the 4th coming in a few days!! :biggrin:

SC Grand Junction is now live according to the Tesla SC map page.

Here is my post at Grand Junction, CO Supercharger - Page 3:

Showing up now on the TM Superchargers page: Supercharger | Tesla Motors.. Now showing a total of 58!

Blanding should be on-line in a few days, but Moab not for a couple of weeks. Even so, Grand Junction to Blanding will be possible in an 85, and with some hypermiling in a 60. Then you have Farmington and Gallup. Gallup to Flagstaff (also added today) is possible in an 85.

This was a big day for the 4-Corners region, 3 of the 4 states represented and the 4th coming in a few days!! :biggrin:

Here is my post at Grand Junction, CO Supercharger - Page 3:

Start altitude:1861 metres (6105 feet)End altitude:1400 metres (4594 feet)Maximum altitude:2219 metres (7282 feet)Minimum altitude:1207 metres (3961 feet)Distance:301.6 km (187.4 miles)Total ascent:3265 metres (10711 feet)Total descent:3725 metres (12222 feet)

Won't someone try open up your eyes
You must be blind if you can't see
The gapin' hole called Moab.

Blanding is on the map.

Update to this thread unless there’s another one. As of 16 Nov all 6 chargers are working although 1A quit on me twice before I decided to move. Two other cars were here charging when I pulled up. Also, what’s the best way to report chargers that are acting up? I’ve tried calling but wait times of 20mins+ are not my thing. I’ve sent emails but no responses. You’d think there be an option in the car on the screen for the charging location to report problems...
8C24D729-C6AE-4437-BFFA-0B7E2DBE5CB6.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: