Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Harris Ranch, CA (18 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been there quite a few times and only got the stench once!
I was happy about it mostly because we were driving in a group, 1 tesla and 1 ice! and the ICE people were already complaining about having to stop to charge, did not want them to have anymore reasons to complain!

Although I did not hear any complaints when we stopped at the redondo SC which has the cleanest restroom I've ever used (public restroom) and the wifi!

Wow, ICE drivers complaining.. If you do such a trip again and hear any more complaints from ICE drivers/riders, I hope you'll retort back by complaining about their polluting and contributing to global climate change!

Sure, I understand stopping often could be an inconvenience, but in my opinion it is a very small price to pay in comparison to the larger picture. We humans are usually bad at this, sadly...

Word on the street is that the Harris Ranch expansion is underway. Anyone traveling through or having direct knowledge about the expansion, please post info and photos on this web page ASAP. Thank you!!

This from jimmy_d (from the Buttonwillow thread)

" The PGE guy also mentioned that they were getting this together quickly because Coalinga was going down temporarily for expansion. So later in the day I stopped at Coalinga (Harris Ranch) and sure enough there's a bunch of new chargers going in there. Looks like it will be going up to at least 12 bays."

Word on the street is that the Harris Ranch expansion is underway. Anyone traveling through or having direct knowledge about the expansion, please post info and photos on this web page ASAP. Thank you!!

" The PGE guy also mentioned that they were getting this together quickly because Coalinga was going down temporarily for expansion. So later in the day I stopped at Coalinga (Harris Ranch) and sure enough there's a bunch of new chargers going in there. Looks like it will be going up to at least 12 bays."

I don't understand. Coalinga and Harris Ranch are very different places.

Harris Ranch is in Coalinga.

Well, greater Coalinga anyway. When you put a city on an address it just shows where the post office is located. It doesn't actually mean the address is inside the city limits:

coalinga.png

I don't understand. Coalinga and Harris Ranch are very different places.
I think the person who posted about the expansion was using those two place names interchangeably. It is true they are several miles apart, though on the same highway, but on the 5 at Harris Ranch there is an exit sign for Coalinga, I think. (There is no Supercharger in Coalinga).
Great news that Harris Ranch is being expanded! I want photos. Will be passing through there in a few weeks.

I think the person who posted about the expansion was using those two place names interchangeably. It is true they are several miles apart, though on the same highway, but on the 5 at Harris Ranch there is an exit sign for Coalinga, I think. (There is no Supercharger in Coalinga).
Great news that Harris Ranch is being expanded! I want photos. Will be passing through there in a few weeks.

On the SpC dashboard at Hawthore, Harris is listed as Coalinga.

" ... Looks like it will be going up to at least 12 bays."
So at the very least they will pull the 4 temp stations out and add in 6 permanent stations. Given the popularity of this route during holidays, I think Tesla would be crazy to not expand out to 14-16 stalls. Tejon Ranch is really looking like a huge bottleneck with only 6 stalls if they don't expand that, too. I bet they expand Tejon Ranch after Buttonwillow is done.

So at the very least they will pull the 4 temp stations out and add in 6 permanent stations. Given the popularity of this route during holidays, I think Tesla would be crazy to not expand out to 14-16 stalls. Tejon Ranch is really looking like a huge bottleneck with only 6 stalls if they don't expand that, too. I bet they expand Tejon Ranch after Buttonwillow is done.

My "going up to 12 stalls" comment is just from estimating the amount of space they have behind the construction barriers. It looks like 6 more permanent bays, more or less. I stopped by again a week later to see if I could count the pipes but there was so much stuff in there I couldn't get a good look, and I decided not to enter the barriers out of respect. But it looks like at least 6 stalls. Considering how busy that place can get I wouldn't be surprised if they leave in the temporaries. Without the temps they would be up to 12. I'll be going through there again on Sunday and will try to count them again. Will post a picture if I can see anything interesting.

As an aside: I've thought a couple of times about the Buttonwillow PGE guy's comment about Coalinga going down and I think he must be mistaken, or maybe he's just talking about going down from the utility's point of view - e.g. going down for ten minutes while they test the circuit. It would be really hard to get by without HR even for a day considering how long a run it is from buttonwillow to the bay area and how much traffic there is on that route. OTOH I saw something from another poster regarding a Tesla employee's comment that there would be 2 more stations on I5 north of HR before too long. If they were to open one near the 152/I5 crossing then you could take HR down for a day. So maybe they will get something open there soon. My guess is that putting a station in at the I5/33 intersection would be a good bet for the next station on that length of highway.

Maybe I should pop by and see if there's anything going on there. Can't be too many acceptable spots in that location.

new_hr_chargers.jpg

So I went by yesterday and snapped a pic over the wall. The charging hookups had been installed and there were 7? I thought maybe they just hadn't put in the 8th yet, but there's no 8th parking spot inside one fence. A tree blocks the next location past the 7th hookup. Weird.

Awesome! Thank you for the photo/update.
So it looks like there will be a total of 13 spots! That's great, and with Fresno being open there should be less traffic coming through here.
This will definitely relieve my anxiety about having to wait for a spot.