Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Hooksett NH Rest Areas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can shed some light on this, considering what occurred yesterday just before I finished charging, and also why the power was probably turned off after I left Hooksett. As I was preparing to leave, a female manager from the rest area came out to ask questions about my car. While showing her the vehicle, we heard a loud electrical pop sound. We couldn't determine the distance or direction of the noise, but we noticed the plaza lights momentarily flickered. I hadn't yet disconnected, so I looked at my touchscreen and the car was still indicating a normal charging status. She was going to call PSNH to have them check it out. I don't know for sure, but at that point we could have been drawing from a backup generator. I would have liked to have stuck around, but I was already running late for work.

Thanks for the update. I'm sorry that it wasn't charging for you. Obviously an electrical problem occurred that may have ties to the supercharger installation. Although my car is fine, just as a precaution I now think that I'll report this event to ownership. Has anyone else heard of this kind of problem?

I can shed some light on this, considering what occurred yesterday just before I finished charging, and also why the power was probably turned off after I left Hooksett. As I was preparing to leave, a female manager from the rest area came out to ask questions about my car. While showing her the vehicle, we heard a loud electrical pop sound. We couldn't determine the distance or direction of the noise, but we noticed the plaza lights momentarily flickered. I hadn't yet disconnected, so I looked at my touchscreen and the car was still indicating a normal charging status. She was going to call PSNH to have them check it out. I don't know for sure, but at that point we could have been drawing from a backup generator. I would have liked to have stuck around, but I was already running late for work.
You break it, you pay for it. :wink:

• Funny
Reactions: chjch
You break it, you pay for it. :wink:

I just talked to ownership. They can see that both sides of Hooksett are currently down and they were unaware of any issues concerning yesterday. They will be investigating the incident and looking at my vehicle logs.

They also said that for these sort of small problems, TMC regional moderators usually don't mind picking up the tab :)

tga

don't forget to take along your climbing spikes and tool belt :wink:

I swung by both the North and South Hooksett SCs today around 11am and spoke with the guys working on the south bound. The South bound was indeed live yesterday but around 6pm last night a bushing in the transformer went kaput (the technical term). They were working on it at the time and were hoping to have it up by the end of the day, with an emphasis on hoping.

The Northbound will not be hooked up until mid next week at the soonest, something about scheduling with the utilities.

don't forget to take along your climbing spikes and tool belt :wink:
2015-01-15 17.47.37 (Small).jpg

Now where did I put those spikes?!? :confused:

The Northbound will not be hooked up until mid next week at the soonest, something about scheduling with the utilities.
I didn't think to ask specifically on Tuesday, but I got the feeling that at least 2 PSNH groups are involved - one to pull the wires from the transformer up the pole and connect the transformer end (they were there that day), and another to do the final connection to the overhead HV lines. Although it would seem they did the final connection Southbound, since Nikxice charged the next day...

The guy I talked to on Tuesday on the Northbound side was riding in a PSNH truck, but clearly a different crew was doing the final connection, and he didn't know what their schedule was.

- - - Updated - - -

I see that supercharge.info has the southbound charger as open. But is it really? And do I chance it tomorrow when I go up to VT?
It was, but the transformer went down. I'll check tomorrow for power on my way through and post.

In an emergency, there are several J1772's in the Concord area - check plugshare.

Glad I checked it out when I did. Potentially saved some poor soul from showing up to a dead Supercharger with an empty battery! Luckily, I drove up there from Boston with enough charge to both get there and come back. Hopefully it goes live soon.

Glad I checked it out when I did. Potentially saved some poor soul from showing up to a dead Supercharger with an empty battery! Luckily, I drove up there from Boston with enough charge to both get there and come back. Hopefully it goes live soon.
I called roadside assistance an hour ago and they stated that Southbound was up and running. When I called this afternoon on my way back from seeing that it was not running their system showed it was down so it seems their systems are real time.

looks like I'll be skiing at Mount Sunapee Saturday.

for what it's worth, I've twice done day trips to Sunapee from Cambridge (100 miles x 2) without charging anywhere. They have a 120v outlet in the parking lot but my car didn't like it. Both were cold days - I did around 65-68 on the way there, and 70-75 on the way home, arriving with less than 20 miles remaining. Hooksett SC makes it simpler.

How hard is it to get to the SB area when going north?

Decisions, decisions. Thanks for the updates everyone. Perhaps I'll call roadside assistance in the morning and make the call.

When dealing with a charger this close to the edge of going live, that's probably wise, especially if you know that mathematically you'll be in a bad situation if you show up without enough charge. Once it's super official though and listed in the nav/website I'll just assume it's okay every time I visit.

Glad to hear whatever problem it had seems to have been fixed, though!

for what it's worth, I've twice done day trips to Sunapee from Cambridge (100 miles x 2) without charging anywhere. They have a 120v outlet in the parking lot but my car didn't like it. Both were cold days - I did around 65-68 on the way there, and 70-75 on the way home, arriving with less than 20 miles remaining. Hooksett SC makes it simpler.

How hard is it to get to the SB area when going north?
You have to continue north to the exit immediately after rt89 to turn around and go south to the SBSC. I'm guessing10- 15 miles from one SC to the other.

With sufficient advanced coordination, I can offer a 14-30, UMC adapter, and parking in Sunapee most weekends, although Hooksett makes this sort of moot (though not this weekend; my season passes aren't valid holiday periods, so I'm going to the Boston Auto Show instead). PM me for details.

You have to continue north to the exit immediately after rt89 to turn around and go south to the SBSC. I'm guessing10- 15 miles from one SC to the other.
Going the other way is easier (getting to the Northbound SC while heading south) - go past the southbound rest area, stay right at the tolls and get off at exit 11, turn around and get back on northbound.

When heading north, you might be able to get off at exit 11 and sneak into the southbound rest area via the employee/construction entrance that looks to be at the end of Springer road (the gate at the south end of the lot), but I wouldn't count on (a) the gate being open and (b) not getting in trouble in the process.