Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Kettleman City, CA (LIVE 15 Nov 2017, 24 V2 + 16 V3 stalls, lounge)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just curious how many of the 40 stalls are in use today since Thanksgiving is one of the biggest travel weeks of the year.

How about some on site updates this week TMC members ?
At 3:45pm on Wednesday the in-car nav says 25 stalls available at Kettleman. Harris Ranch says 7 stalls available. The 101 corridor is more of a problem. Paso Robles and San Luis Obispo show 0-1 stall available depending on when you look since noon-time.

Apparently, Tesla has a mobile service technician posted at the Kettleman City SC to handle any issues that may arise for holiday travelers passing through:
Tesla position a mobile service technician at the Kettleman sc in anticipation of the holiday traffic. : teslamotors
Is this official? When I stopped there in July, there was a mobile tech on site, but he told me that he was there only because he has to be available within his territory and he preferred to wait for calls in a nice air conditioned facility. He said that as long as he was there anyway, he would be happy to attend to any minor repairs I needed.

Paso Robles and San Luis Obispo show 0-1 stall available depending on when you look since noon-time.
I assume you meant Atascadero, not Paso Robles, since that is no Supercharger at Paso. I was at Atascadero this morning and most of the time over half the stalls were in use.

Pretty cool that Tesla put an employee at Kettleman City today to help anyone having difficulties. Reddit member synrak posted this, quote: “This is the same guy that serviced my S75 back for a stuck door handle in September at the Kettleman City SC. He's prepped to work!

If my memory is right, he's based out of Bakersfield and hangs around the SC usually around the latter half of the week for at least one day.

The tech can also do the odd yeared yearly checkups/servicing for the vehicle while you're supercharging.”

• Love
Reactions: Ulmo
Wednesday evening at around 8:30pm I went out to my MX to check how packed the supercharger sites were between SF and LA and saw a notice that Kettleman City was in a "Temporary Closure" state. What happened there? Harris Ranch was full.
While we like the the lounge and Supercharger infrastructure at Kettleman, the family prefers the extra 20 minute trek to HARRIS Ranch anyways.

I've left LA around 7pm and initially route planner was routing me via Kettleman, but probably around 8pm it rerouted me via Buttonwillow and showed "temporary closure" on Kettleman. Harris Ranch was showing full. This prompted me to do quick stop in Bakersfield to get extra 20RM, so I would have some buffer to reach Harris Ranch. I was going to stop at Kettleman anyway to see why it showed closed, but around 11PM it was open again. So I just skipped to Harris Ranch, which was half full when I got there...

Side note: traffic in Santa Clarita was horrible. I probably lost 1.5-2h there.

Reactions: K3Man
Do they not have battery storage there?
Would have been very useful, could have kept charging the cars while power was being restored.
Yes, they do have Powerpack batteries there. However, they may not be installed to support "zombie apocalypse" mode. See the video posted earlier in this thread here: Supercharger - Kettleman City (LIVE 15 Nov 2017, 40 stalls and a lounge)
It shows a Tesla inverter with 5 Powerpacks behind the enclosure in the SE corner of the property.
It would be very impressive if that tall Tesla sign were lit up and the lounge had power when the rest of the town was blacked out. Keeping 6-8 stalls online would also be nice so people weren't stranded. They could give 40 cars 20kWh each if the Powerpacks were at 80% when the outage started.

Reactions: Ulmo and McManX
Yes, they do have Powerpack batteries there. However, they may not be installed to support "zombie apocalypse" mode. See the video posted earlier in this thread here: Supercharger - Kettleman City (LIVE 15 Nov 2017, 40 stalls and a lounge)
It shows a Tesla inverter with 5 Powerpacks behind the enclosure in the SE corner of the property.
It would be very impressive if that tall Tesla sign were lit up and the lounge had power when the rest of the town was blacked out. Keeping 6-8 stalls online would also be nice so people weren't stranded. They could give 40 cars 20kWh each if the Powerpacks were at 80% when the outage started.
That would have been a perfect set up, 20kWh is more than enough to get you to either Harris ranch or buttonwillow

Reactions: Ulmo