Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Kettleman City, CA (LIVE 15 Nov 2017, 24 V2 + 16 V3 stalls, lounge)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fortunately we haven't seen any behavior like that at the Kettleman City Supercharger, which is the topic of this thread.

Bruce.
You are right, It was not my intention to derail this thread, my apologies, I have only had one experience at the Kettleman SC and it was very positive, (I normally stop at Harris ranch as I prefer to dine there while charging)
super impressed by the facilities and can see the need for more of these super sized stations in the future judging by the number of Tesla's we are seeing on the road in CA, when the Y comes out we will see another surge in Tesla population here for sure.

Has Tesla mentioned that they'll be upgrading some of the charging stations to 250kW at Kettleman yet?

Usual caveats about Elon and “soon”, but yes:

8E5D6395-7FAF-4B7A-936D-5675F86DE724.jpeg

The majority would not be upgraded (they've said the preference is to build out new sites as V3) but that doesn't preclude *some* sites from being upgraded.
yeah, I think Kettleman would be a great test site to do a V3 upgrade with based on overall size of footprint, number of stalles and traffic volume. (do we even have any access to this info over time? I know there is a highest used at the time display in some SC’s but not sure if it’s ALL TIME)

It’s probably also a pretty good site location wise for doing any work overall. Sort of out in the middle of nowhere, yet only 2 hours from the mothership.

The girls at the coffee shop did mention insanely long lines wrapped around the block, worse than anything I've seen mentioned in this thread. I'm not sure if they were talking about last holiday season or over the summer, but either way, with so many more Model 3s on the road now, they definitely need to do something before the holiday rush. Upgrading this is probably the only thing they can get done in time at this point.

It would be interesting to see the total site usage before and after. It's possible that they could upgrade the stalls to V3 and not really affect the overall site demand. It would just get people in and out faster, making it less likely that the site would fill up in the first place. Other V3 sites like Las Vegas have something like a 2.4 MVA grid connection for 24 stalls. Does anyone know what KC has now (figure it is buried way back in this thread)?

It would be interesting to see the total site usage before and after. It's possible that they could upgrade the stalls to V3 and not really affect the overall site demand. It would just get people in and out faster, making it less likely that the site would fill up in the first place. Other V3 sites like Las Vegas have something like a 2.4 MVA grid connection for 24 stalls. Does anyone know what KC has now (figure it is buried way back in this thread)?

Don’t hold me to this, but I think Kettleman City is on a 2,500 kVA grid connection (plus solar and batteries). There won’t be any additional throughput unless they increase the grid connection along with the V3 upgrade.

I’ll go back through the pictures and see what I can find.

Don’t hold me to this, but I think Kettleman City is on a 2,500 kVA grid connection (plus solar and batteries). There won’t be any additional throughput unless they increase the grid connection along with the V3 upgrade.

I’ll go back through the pictures and see what I can find.

I couldn’t find any pictures of or specs for the transformer at Kettleman City, but Baker is 3,750 kVA. Supercharger - Baker (LIVE 15 Nov 2017, 40 stalls)

If that’s the case at KC, upgrading some of the equipment to V3 will be helpful.

• Informative
Reactions: Chuq