Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Lawrence, MA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's a big honking transformer, and indeed, upon taking a closer look, it is a 1500 kVA unit, which is about twice what most sites utilize. I wonder if they are short of the 750 kVA units and are installing an oversize unit to get it up and running.
I'm not sure that they can simply upsize a transformer like that. I'm not a utility engineer nor a electrical inspector, but I am a former electrical engineer and do know that there is a relationship between the KVA rating of a transformer and the interrupt rating of the main breaker(s) on the service entrance equipment that has to be in some kind of design agreement and that also takes into account the length and rating of the service drop conductors. Maybe it's fine and maybe I'm wrong - not sure.

Yup. Removing concrete and disposing of concrete was not a line item. Let the new WaWa going in deal with it. Just Kidding - no WaWas in New England. We had a Sonic directly across the street from this site - but they lasted about 3 months.

Drove by quickly today, and I'm pretty sure the transformer now has National Grid stickers and commissioning numbers on it that weren't there before. I could be wrong, sorry, didn't take a picture...
Thanks - I think that is new. They weren't there over the weekend when I checked the site. There was no sign of a meter Sunday.

• Informative
Reactions: kayak1
Had a chance to take a pic today. I’m pretty sure someone has been here and did some work. The 1-4 label is definitely new and corresponds to the 1-2 and 1-3 labels I see on the other transformers nearby. The only difference is there is no lock and yellow lock labels, which means it’s not live yet. But it’s progress!!
IMG_5870.jpeg

Saw 2-3 utility trucks there today. Didn’t get a chance to look for any changes. Maybe on Monday I can swing over.
Excellent - last updated I heard it was waiting for a meter (and power to the transformer). Sounds plausible that's been done, possibly adding that to the other sites awaiting Tesla commissioning (Lynnfield, Foxborough and Provincetown).