Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Lynnwood WA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got back from the Lynnwood Supercharger construction site- Except for the utility transformer, it's pretty much finished. 10 stalls, ( the 10th one is right next to the charger cabinets. The fence kept me from getting up to the cabinets to check out the nameplate ratings
IMG_1269.JPG
IMG_1270.JPG
IMG_1271.JPG
IMG_1272.JPG
IMG_1273.JPG

As someone whose battery has been fried by the 135kW superchargers, I can't say I disagree with this strategy. I just hope that I can draw the same ~72kW as everyone else does from these urban superchargers as that is roughly where I'm maxing out on the 135kW superchargers. It would really suck if my car only draws XX% of max output regardless which type of supercharger.

@PLUS EV Your battery was "fried" by the Superchargers? Can you expand on exactly what happened?

@PLUS EV Your battery was "fried" by the Superchargers? Can you expand on exactly what happened?
I have about 80k miles on my car and have used superchargers for ~60k of those miles. My max charge rate is now only about 90kW and often much less. This apparently is to protect the battery from excessive supercharging. There is a thread about it somewhere on the battery and charging forum.

I have about 80k miles on my car and have used superchargers for ~60k of those miles. My max charge rate is now only about 90kW and often much less. This apparently is to protect the battery from excessive supercharging. There is a thread about it somewhere on the battery and charging forum.

OK, so it isn't that a 135kW Supercharger fried your battery, it was just switched to the charging curve with a lower maximum. (Which by the way happens even if you only use lowly ~40kW CHAdeMO chargers a lot of times.)

So using the slower 72kW Urban Superchargers wouldn't prevent what happened to you.

OK, so it isn't that a 135kW Supercharger fried your battery, it was just switched to the charging curve with a lower maximum. (Which by the way happens even if you only use lowly ~40kW CHAdeMO chargers a lot of times.)

So using the slower 72kW Urban Superchargers wouldn't prevent what happened to you.
I still usually get over 72kW so really not sure about this statement.

I keep driving by this one but it's always dark, usually raining and they have it fenced off pretty well so I haven't bothered taking pictures.

The main differences from the last pics are that there are now 3 large white metal boxes to the right of the 5 supercharger cabinets on the concrete pad. I'm honestly not sure exactly what these are. Definitely looks different than what I see at non-urban superchargers. They have also installed some very large posts which look like they will eventually create a large wall or enclosure around the cabinet/transformer area. And there is still an empty concrete pad where the transformer will presumably be placed. So it looks like we are fairly close to the "waiting for transformer/meter/testing/activation" phase of the process.

I came to Lynnwood yesterday directly from Aberdeen. I forgot my big thick 220 extension cord, so I had to go on to Monroe to charge up. Got there with 20 miles left. I ALMOST went by the Lynnwood Supercharger in hopes it would be open, but I didn't have the extra miles for that. When I got back to Lynnwood, plugged into 110, and only took 8 hours to charge back the miles from Monroe to Lynnwood.

I keep driving by this one but it's always dark, usually raining and they have it fenced off pretty well so I haven't bothered taking pictures.

The main differences from the last pics are that there are now 3 large white metal boxes to the right of the 5 supercharger cabinets on the concrete pad. I'm honestly not sure exactly what these are. Definitely looks different than what I see at non-urban superchargers. They have also installed some very large posts which look like they will eventually create a large wall or enclosure around the cabinet/transformer area. And there is still an empty concrete pad where the transformer will presumably be placed. So it looks like we are fairly close to the "waiting for transformer/meter/testing/activation" phase of the process.
The three large white boxes are probably for incoming power distribution. They used to be grey, but I'm seeing more white cabinets now. They generally sit on the same slab as the superchargers. The Vancouver, WA site is still waiting for these, despite having everything else (including the utility transformer). I wonder if there has been a supply issue.

The three large white boxes are probably for incoming power distribution. They used to be grey, but I'm seeing more white cabinets now. They generally sit on the same slab as the superchargers. The Vancouver, WA site is still waiting for these, despite having everything else (including the utility transformer). I wonder if there has been a supply issue.
Yeah that's what I figured. I'm just used to them being grey.

Stopped by today, looks almost ready to go. Must be waiting final inspection.

Construction looks visibly complete but no power, the utility trailer and bobcat are pulled off to the side and all the construction tape and barriers are gone.

Attachments

• rqABTsHQRnOEnp3UcFey4A.jpg
    rqABTsHQRnOEnp3UcFey4A.jpg
    328 KB · Views: 64
  • KfgLdOK2T3CEgq53LUUGRg.jpg
    KfgLdOK2T3CEgq53LUUGRg.jpg
    369.3 KB · Views: 64
  • DKbvUAvqTXy71CBubn42iw.jpg
    DKbvUAvqTXy71CBubn42iw.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 72
  • fullsizeoutput_46c2.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_46c2.jpeg
    274.4 KB · Views: 55
  • zFycf3cjSpaQS+Ukh7ug%Q.jpg
    zFycf3cjSpaQS+Ukh7ug%Q.jpg
    312.4 KB · Views: 60
Stopped by today, looks almost ready to go. Must be waiting final inspection.

Construction looks visibly complete but no power, the utility trailer and bobcat are pulled off to the side and all the construction tape and barriers are gone.

Probably awaiting final inspection, also looks like they need to paint.

Any chance you got a glance at the back of the pedestals? Wondering what their output is.

Thanks for the recon, @TF Friday! It appears from one of your photos that the utility transformer is still missing from the concrete pad next to the Tesla equipment. Once the utility installs the transformer, the wait here should shift from weeks to days.

My current understanding (pardon the pun) is that this type of supercharger supplies an unshared 72 kW to both of its charging bollards.

Yes, I drove by this morning and it's definitely still awaiting the transformer.

Also, I was wrong about them building an enclosure. They did install some rather significant posts near the equipment but they are just there to prevent people from (presumably accidentally) driving into it. I noticed that the propane tank and even the air/water pump had similar posts around them so this could just be something that Fred Meyer wanted to have done.

Lastly, it is super awkward to plug these chargers in. I wonder if they installed them wrong or if it is just a really poor design. It will be even worse in a cold snap, although at least in this area it doesn't typically get a whole lot colder than the 42F or whatever it was when I was there.