Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Milan, NM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ecarfan

In researching the California to New Mexico route, I note that on Tesla’s Find Us page a Supercharger is planned for Grants NM, it states “Target opening in 2018”. I don’t find an existing thread about that Supercharger so thought I would start one. I realize that it may not actually open in 2018.

If anyone is passing through Grants and spots signs of Supercharger construction activity, please post here. Thanks!

Reactions: IdaX
There was a permit for an Electrify America station at the Walmart, but I can't find anything Tesla in the permits database.
Can you find any of the permits for the older installed locations besides Demming and Truth Or Consequences? Looking at some of the older filings might give ideas for further searches that don't explicitly mention Tesla. But I can't find any of the others. Which is kinda weird.

Can you find any of the permits for the older installed locations besides Demming and Truth Or Consequences? Looking at some of the older filings might give ideas for further searches that don't explicitly mention Tesla. But I can't find any of the others. Which is kinda weird.

Deming and T or C are the only ones I've found. You can also look through all the recent "Electrical Commercial Commercial" permits in a particular city, but it is pretty laborious and I haven't had any success doing that.

Deming and T or C are the only ones I've found. You can also look through all the recent "Electrical Commercial Commercial" permits in a particular city, but it is pretty laborious and I haven't had any success doing that.
Yeah, I looked at all the commercial electrical permits in the whole state and didn't see anything. This is much easier if you export the search results as a .csv file and search through that in excel or other spreadsheet program. For jurisdictions that use Accela's portal, there is usually a small hyperlink right above the search results which will let you do so. However, they seem to not like exporting really large numbers of results, so you may have to chop up a search into smaller time scales (e.g. 4 or 6 months at a time depending on the size of the database and # of permits issued). The 2 search strings I used when looking through the spreadsheet were "tesla" and then "charg"--on the basis that it for EV chargers whether it was called a supercharger or supercharging, etc. No luck. Which was why I was interested in the other permits. Needed more ideas for search strings that might give results.

Reactions: emupilot
I drove through that area a couple of months ago, and met a long-time Model S owner at one of the superchargers. I mentioned how glad I would be when the Grants NM supercharger gets built, as it shows on the website it should happen in 2020. He said it has been showing that it will be built ever since 2016, so don't hold your breath!

Reactions: CO_MY
Yeah, I-40 is seriously neglected by Tesla; not sure why. I know they are building SuperChargers all over, so I know they are pumping lots of $$ into the SC network, but the 145 mile stretch from Gallup to Albuquerque can actually be a challenge even in a long range Model 3, when it’s cold, you are loaded down with luggage, and you end up in a nasty head wind. Plus, Gallup and Albuquerque are both problematic SC locations sometimes. Grants would be a fabulous place for a new 8+ stall V3 SC!

Reactions: kevanmann and IdaX
I check this website almost daily to see new SC build-outs: supercharge.info

Unfortunately, you see a whole lot of them being built in CA and not so much elsewhere. I get it though, they're probably focusing on where there is the highest concentration of Teslas and where there is currently some of the longest wait times to charge, but still I would love to see Tesla just put a few more in the Southwest region (especially mountainous regions) to aid with stuff like wintertime travel and ski travel.

Yeah, I-40 is seriously neglected by Tesla; not sure why. I know they are building SuperChargers all over, so I know they are pumping lots of $$ into the SC network, but the 145 mile stretch from Gallup to Albuquerque can actually be a challenge even in a long range Model 3, when it’s cold, you are loaded down with luggage, and you end up in a nasty head wind. Plus, Gallup and Albuquerque are both problematic SC locations sometimes. Grants would be a fabulous place for a new 8+ stall V3 SC!
Experienced this exact thing first hand on Tuesday. Coming from Denver to Vegas and avoided I-70 due to snow in Colorado thought this would be a good alternative. As soon as I got south of CO Springs hit strong wind, barely made it to Alamosa. Then the section between ABQ to Gallup was tight with it being windy, loaded up car and cold weather at night in a LR MY. Grants would have been perfect, had to stay at or under the speed limit most of the drive.

Reactions: IdaX and DeepBlueMN
Experienced this exact thing first hand on Tuesday. Coming from Denver to Vegas and avoided I-70 due to snow in Colorado thought this would be a good alternative. As soon as I got south of CO Springs hit strong wind, barely made it to Alamosa. Then the section between ABQ to Gallup was tight with it being windy, loaded up car and cold weather at night in a LR MY. Grants would have been perfect, had to stay at or under the speed limit most of the drive.
Grants will be a great location to top off the batteries. I bought a CHAdeMO adapter so that I can charge at the Electrify America in Grants. My wife and I spent a couple days there to see the ice cave and the uranium museum. It was fun.

Don't get your hopes up too high. The one in Brockville, Ontario, Canada has been scheduled to break ground for 8 years now and keeps on getting pushed back. Thank goodness for these Korean CCS adapters, sure as heck is going to help me big time as there are a few 350kw CCS unit in Brockville plus some more lower capacity units in the same area not to mention a bunch of CCS units on the Trans Canada highway on the way to Brockville and back that just opened up. Game changer for me for sure.

It would be great to get the supercharger in Grants, but hard to guess when Tesla will actually pull the trigger on a lone location like this. It seems they are often lumping installations to make the build outs more efficient, like the “sudden“ 3 being built in both Phoenix and Minneapolis.