Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Mojave, CA (EXPANDED Dec 2021, 6 V2 + 4 V3 + 2 urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here are a bunch of pictures of the final Supercharger setup including inside the enclosure.
PANO_20150328_102336.jpg
PANO_20150328_101940.jpg
IMG_20150328_102035.jpg
IMG_20150328_102044.jpg
IMG_20150328_102048.jpg
IMG_20150328_102125.jpg
IMG_20150328_102159.jpg
IMG_20150328_102017.jpg
IMG_20150328_101932.jpg
IMG_20150328_101815.jpg
IMG_20150328_101801.jpg

Reactions: SMAlset
+1. The fact that a PBI meter (performance based incentives) highly suggests that solar will be installed here to go along with the grid storage. There's currently a $0.025 / kWh PBI incentive available for commercial solar installations in the SCE region. Statewide Trigger Point Tracker
The interesting thing is that the batteries aren't connected at the moment (see the photo of the 'Energy Storage Disconnect Switch' locked in the 'Off' position). Seems odd. They really need to put a canopy over the batteries, SCs and distribution box, regardless of whether or not it's solar, just to keep the temps this side of livable.

Has anyone tried Harris Ranch --> Mojave direct yet? EVTripplanner is saying this is 226 miles (in current weather) so it sounds doable, but may not be comfortable.

- K
Not sure how you came up with 226 miles. EVTripplanner shows 160 actual miles, or 190 rated miles (east bound). Easy Peasy in an 85. And west bound is even easier.

It is because there is a massive elevation difference. 4k feet or so.

I ran EVTripPlanner with standard numbers and an 85 on 19's. My results are 160 actual road miles, 191 rated miles needed, and 2,385 feet of elevation gain.

That is a little bit of a longer charge at Harris, but very doable. I would definitely plan that route if I needed to go that direction. Just be careful of that four letter word: "WIND"

I ran EVTripPlanner with standard numbers and an 85 on 19's. My results are 160 actual road miles, 191 rated miles needed, and 2,385 feet of elevation gain.

That is a little bit of a longer charge at Harris, but very doable. I would definitely plan that route if I needed to go that direction. Just be careful of that four letter word: "WIND"
Or that three letter name: "S60". 188 RM in ideal conditions. Just shows that an SC is needed in between, but we already knew that: Lost Hills (SR 46) or Buttonwillow (SR58) on I-5, or McFarland (SR46) or Merced Ave. at SR99? Of course, the best location would be in Bakersfield, despite its proximity to Tejon Ranch.

Or that three letter name: "S60". 188 RM in ideal conditions. Just shows that an SC is needed in between, but we already knew that: Lost Hills (SR 46) or Buttonwillow (SR58) on I-5, or McFarland (SR46) or Merced Ave. at SR99? Of course, the best location would be in Bakersfield, despite its proximity to Tejon Ranch.

Guy, I would think Bakersfield would serve the most and have the best accommodations for charging. Lost Hills and Buttonwillow are just exits off Interstate 5; McFarland requires detouring over to SR99 via SR46 and then heading north about 8 miles. Merced Ave. does have the Flying J complex, but nothing else.

Bakersfield would take some stress off Ft. Tejon for travelers to/from Fresno or the National Parks; it would also permit drivers to skip Mojave heading east-west along SR58, freeing up that spot for those heading to the Owens Valley.

For me, Mojave is about a 220-rated mile range charge for me. It would be more convenient for valleyites to be able to stop in Bako for 20 minutes and then bypass Mojave.

Cheers!

Bakersfield would take some stress off Ft. Tejon
Cheers!

Ft. Tejon is one of the last places I would consider "stressed", unless you're talking about the Starbucks located there, where the wait is invariably longer than what a full 85 kWh charge takes. What a joke! I can't believe Peet's hasn't moved in next door -- they would make a killing.

• Disagree
Reactions: Trekker_
Guy, I would think Bakersfield would serve the most and have the best accommodations for charging. Lost Hills and Buttonwillow are just exits off Interstate 5; McFarland requires detouring over to SR99 via SR46 and then heading north about 8 miles. Merced Ave. does have the Flying J complex, but nothing else.

Bakersfield would take some stress off Ft. Tejon for travelers to/from Fresno or the National Parks; it would also permit drivers to skip Mojave heading east-west along SR58, freeing up that spot for those heading to the Owens Valley.

For me, Mojave is about a 220-rated mile range charge for me. It would be more convenient for valleyites to be able to stop in Bako for 20 minutes and then bypass Mojave.

Cheers!
There is a cafe right at the junction of SR46 and SR 99, which is the only reason I mentioned MCFarland (that shows as the town in the address, even though it's well south). We're in complete agreement that Bakersfield would be the most desirable location, assuming they eventually add Visalia (or Tulare, but Visalia is the junction for traffic to/from SRs 41/198), Fresno, and Merced (or Mariposa/El Portal). Those would cover Yosemite and Sequoia/Kings Canyon access as well as Shaver, Huntington and Edison Lakes, plus SR 99 at roughly 1 hour intervals.

Last edited:
The Mojave supercharger has been down since 10PM 12/22
OUR TESLA NAV DIRECTED US HERE ANYWAY!
I'm not to happy to be sitting in a CHP waiting room while the car charges at 22 Amps (10 hrs 25 min remaining)
With accurate nav info I would have fully charged at Inyokern and just needed a top-up here....

I'm not to happy to be sitting in a CHP waiting room while the car charges at 22 Amps (10 hrs 25 min remaining)
With accurate nav info I would have fully charged at Inyokern and just needed a top-up here....
I'm heading that way next week. I guess I'll just have to call Tesla Supercharger phone number when at Harris Ranch to get an update. Seems a rather low-tech process considering the technology currently available.

I'm in Mammoth right now and heading home on Sunday. If the Mojave SC is down, I can't get home.
Move heard reports of Tesla towing folks to their destination when Tejon went down. Do you think they'd do that for me?

edit: I just realized that I could charge at Inyokern. Only 8 miles out of the way.

Last edited:
Really sorry to hear about that. So what happened, did you get enough charge to continue, and did you call Tesla and complain? I would have given them an earful.
On January 1st my wife and I will be on 395 headed west and plan on using the Mohave Supercharger. If anyone stops there over the next 7 days please post as to the status. I've set a reminder on my phone to call Tesla the day before and inquire about the status of that location. If that location is not working I can do a max charge at Barstow and that will get me to Harris Ranch because there is some elevation loss. Though if there are strong headwinds in the high desert that could be a problem.

Last edited:
Really sorry to hear about that. So what happened, did you get enough charge to continue, and did you call Tesla and complain? I would have given them an earful.
On January 1st my wife and I will be on 395 headed west and plan on using the Mohave Supercharger. If anyone stops there over the next 7 days please post as to the status. I've set a reminder on my phone to call Tesla the day before and inquire about the status of that location. If that location is not working I can do a max charge at Barstow and that will get me to Harris Ranch because there is some elevation loss. Though if there are strong headwinds in the high desert that could be a problem.
I plan on motoring through from Harris Ranch on Dec 28th. Will have to check with SC number to see if a detour to Tejon is necessary. I echo the request for updates from others on the status.