Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Morgantown, WV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
my first long roadtrip and I will be hitting this supercharger. looks like a decent spot.... anyone ever have issues here?

There was a lot of icing going on but I was still able to fully charge. I've used it 4 times now. Even during the VWA football game I was OK.

Your by the university so there can't be a shortage of bars or night life. Other than that I don't know what there is to do.

• Helpful
Reactions: SpudLime
Just a heads up. This supercharger location has issues. Last night i got to the site with 31 miles left. Plugged in, 2 min later the BIG RED tesla light on the charger (pole?) flashed and then my car stopped charging. Moved to another pole...same thing..another..same thing. Changed to 1/2 the different poles, same thing.

If I plugged then unplugged, it would charge for a bit, then stop again. Temperature was 23 degrees outside. I had just come from strasburg supercharger, so 150 miles driven and a warm battery. I called Tesla and while on the wait que, the charging would stop. This time I just left it in and then it would start charging again after about 60 seconds. I looked in the plug share app and I saw numerous posts of complaints about low KW charging and since december others had the same issues.

Once Tesla finally picked up, they said according to the computer the station looked to be 100% fine. They looked at my car logs, and didnt see any issues. They said they would send out a technician to look at the site. She also suggested that if it happens again to try and hard reboot to be 100% it wasnt my car.

I am here for 2 days. On my way back tomorrow night, I will report if anything has improved. I also updated the plugshare app noting the issue.

Reactions: Country Roads
So on my return home trip, I had the same issue of it stopping and restarting. It seems when the kw/h is above 50, ie starting out with low battery, it starts and stops rather frequently. As the battery gets closer to full and the kw/h charge rate goes down, it doesnt power cycle hardly.

I called Tesla again and this time I got the main support person instead of road side assistance. He checked on the dispatch of a tech to the site. The station tech closed the ticket without even coming to the site. It was marked, known power fluctuations. He said he isnt sure if there is some other internal messaging where they then notify the power company.. So he reopened the request to the super charger team to ask for more detail on what is being done.

I have a trip again next month, so I will let you know if anything has changed.

Not to beat this to death, but the behavior persists as of this evening. For anyone traveling through, I would say to expect unreliable service, until you hear otherwise. You're welcome to PM me to confirm - we're there almost daily and drive by it 5-6 times a day. Would be happy to check in for someone that is curious.

Glancing back through the pictures people posted during the construction phase, it looks like this is a site that was built without the the added autotransformers (buck/boost transformers). So it may be that any long term solution to the inconsistent/interrupting charging may require some additional hardware be installed to achieve the necessary power smoothing. If that is needed, instead of being able to solve the problem by merely adjusting the utility transformer tap, then it may be a much longer process to get it reliably fixed as it will require repermitting before the work can be done.

It was still very broken on Dec 31, tried 3 different stalls errored out after a few minutes. I started on stall 1, near the electrical hardware and there was an odd noise when starting. Luckily the kids needed to pee in Wytheville so we had charged a little and were able to reach the next supercharger in Pittsburgh.