Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Pasadena, CA (LIVE 26 Nov 2019, 24 urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Starting to remove some of the top panels on one of the trench boxes. Maybe the whole thing will come out.

IMG_20191030_170058.jpg

Starting to remove some of the top panels on one of the trench boxes. Maybe the whole thing will come out.
Note that those cables/straps/chains appear to be attached to the holdback box rather than the vault itself. The right wall of the left box has also been removed. It looks like they might be turning it into a large rectangle rather than two smaller squares to allow the modular vault to be connected.

• Informative
Reactions: RubberToe
Note that those cables/straps/chains appear to be attached to the holdback box rather than the vault itself. The right wall of the left box has also been removed. It looks like they might be turning it into a large rectangle rather than two smaller squares to allow the modular vault to be connected.

Yeah, that's what's going on. The panels that were removed were stacked up on a cherry picker out on the street. Should end up as a rectangle like you said.

RT

So what's going to go in those underground thingies? Are they going to be accessible after they're buried?
The pieces will likely be fused together in some fashion to form an underground vault. The top of the vault will be at or near to ground level with a removable access cover on top so workers can access the underground equipment.
Inside will be electrical distribution cabling and as well as a transformer, and possibly more. Hopefully our illustrious observation team will be able to snap some photos before things get closed up. :D

Apparently my leaving town for 48 hours is all that it takes for the crew to sneak in and make an insane amount of progress that I wasn't able to capture. Hopefully someone else was around and can verify whether anything large was installed in the vault prior to the two covers being put on. Besides the manhole covers, it could be that the entire rectangular cover might possibly be able to be removed. Even if that's the case, they will still be limited to what can be dropped into that opening now that the concrete sea has been poured around the vault. Note that the connection to the incoming power will be on the right side of the vault to the recently installed line feeding in from Green Street. It looks like they left a feed route through the poured concrete. So if the transformer is already in place, it could now be just a a matter of pulling the cables and making the connections.

IMG_20191104_070501.jpg IMG_20191104_070457.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Doug Martoccia
Saturday morning I drove past and saw a large yellow crane truck moving a large grey object towards the vault. The crane arm was huge, so this may have been the transformer install. The object wasn’t green like typical transformers you see above ground, but no reason it can’t be grey in a vault and out of view.

Last edited:
The answer to one of life's great unanswered questions was revealed this morning. And I was there to witness it! The crew dug a deep trench from one of the two underground vaults where there are multiple conduit holes available all the way to the location where the conduit feeds arrive from the sidewalk on Green Street. Assuming we don't have another "Shoring Gate" drama play out, those connections could likely happen this week. It also looks like they dug down far enough for the high voltage line to come in, but that is less far along. Maybe the plan is to get everything else all wired up before bringing in the life threatening stuff. Thats how I would do it anyway :D

IMG_20191106_073013.jpg IMG_20191106_073016.jpg

The 13 conduits shown coming up from the ground correspond to the 13 coming in from the garage. There are 8 for the Tesla equipment, and 5 for the City DCFC's. Here is a copy of the layout from page 8 showing these right where the "Tesla switchgear" will be above ground. All seems right, except with all 13 coming up in the same spot it makes me wonder what if anything will go into the area marked "City's equipment designated area". o_O

site layout new.jpg