Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Rock Springs, WY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, a question about range/time, as you seem to have a pretty good grip on the concepts. I am going to be heading from Central Valley in California to Chicago sometime in August. Is there a way to figure out optimal speed to balance time on the road vs charging time? I am assuming that driving at 80+ through Nevada would end up being counterproductive, as any gains made would be lost with additional charging time. Is this correct? I once had the math skills to likely figure this out, but those have long atrophied and I need some help. Thanks.

So, a question about range/time, as you seem to have a pretty good grip on the concepts. I am going to be heading from Central Valley in California to Chicago sometime in August. Is there a way to figure out optimal speed to balance time on the road vs charging time? I am assuming that driving at 80+ through Nevada would end up being counterproductive, as any gains made would be lost with additional charging time. Is this correct? I once had the math skills to likely figure this out, but those have long atrophied and I need some help. Thanks.
You can use this site on pretty much any device to plan things in advance or even during the trip: A Better Routeplanner

Usually, I just use the in car trip planning once I'm actually on a trip.

Is there a way to figure out optimal speed to balance time on the road vs charging time?

Others have pointed out, in other posts, this can be viewed as a "sitting vs exercising" question. Driving slower uses less charge between SC's so you'll need to charge for a shorter period of time. Driving faster uses more charge so you'll need to charge longer. I prefer to drive faster thus charging a bit longer which minimizes my sitting time and maximizes my standing / stretching / exercising time.

Reactions: DrivingRockies
As long as you are on the supercharger network, it takes less time overall if you drive faster (as long as you are not stopping to have discussions about the appropriate speed with the law enforcement community). The exception would be the leap from Rock Springs to Cheyenne, which must be done with care at reduced speed.

78MPH give or take is about the optimal speed between superchargers which can give an average Joe an average speed for the day of approx. 50MPH. It's not entirely intuitive as someone might argue that the supercharger is adding mileage considerably more rapidly than 78 MPH on average, but that was the math when all was taken into account. The most recent record holder for crossing the US averaged 54 MPH--I did not hear the details of their driving strategy as some of that was kept under wraps.

Is this site actually open? It's not on Tesla's site and it's not on the Nav yet...
All I can say is I charged there last week (as I posted earlier in this thread). I drew something like 50 kWh at a normal rate so it wasn't a fluke. It was definitely up and running at that time, the stalls were numbered, etc.

One thing I wanted to mention though is that Evanston had numbered stalls for at least 4 days before the electricity was actually working. I don't think I've ever seen that in any of the supercharger construction pics. Usually if the stalls are numbered, the electrons are flowing, but I was in Evanston 4-5 days before and again 1 day before it was actually turned on and the stalls were numbered both times, which usually indicates it has been tested by the Tesla tech. My fear with Rock Springs is that possibly both sites had been tested but for some reason the power company turned them off or on for some reason (possibly some issue related to billing or who knows what). So it might be possible that Rock Springs was on last week, but is off this week. Who knows. It does seem weird that it hasn't been announced as being open by Tesla yet. Sometimes there is a lag of a day or two, but not usually an entire week.

The Superchargers in Rocksprings are all down right now. No EV chargers for over 50 miles in any direction. RV Park it is again. :(

#WyomingTeslaLife The Struggle is Real

Attachments

• IMG_2813.PNG
    IMG_2813.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 110
I will be there in 10 days so I hope it is finally open by then. Otherwise I will be having to plug into a 120v outlet at the motel and convention center, or just charge to 100% in Evanston WY then drive at 55 mph to Rock Springs. On the return leg from Rock Springs to Evanston maybe limit speed to 50 mph.

Last edited:
I will be there in 10 days so I hope it is finally open by then. Otherwise I will be having to plug into a 120v outlet at the motel and convention center, or just charge to 100% in Evanston WY then drive at 55 mph to Rock Springs. On the return leg from Rock Springs to Evanston maybe limit speed to 50 mph.

It was on last Wednesday and a guy from Rocky Mountain Power was working on it, we were charging just fine. He said the voltage was too high and Tesla was needing to add something to lower it. I guess he must have turn it off after we left. He also said Laramie should be getting turned on in just a couple of weeks.

Reactions: tmoz
The same comments apply to Erwin, NY, and McAllen, TX. On the list I keep on another EV forum, while I'll mention a reported use, I won't call a site open until it's shown on Tesla's map or the in-car nav, the SC's web page shows it live, or it's listed as such on their SC list, avoiding all the to-ing and fro-ing. While there was a time when Tesla was tardy about updating their info to include new SC sites, that seems to have passed, and now listing delays seem to be based on real teething issues.

Last edited:
Anyone try Rock Spring again this week? It was offline last Monday. I'm on my way to Salt Lake today from Riverton and debating on going Via Rock Springs to Evanston or take the back roads and going slow and by passing Rock Springs.