Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Rock Springs, WY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well? Did you make Cheyenne??
Yes I made it quite easily with about 30 rated miles remaining. I went no a/c (which wasn't too bad after dark and temps in 60s), low suspension, range mode, full charge at Rock Springs, etc. Then I went 60mph until Rawlins, bumped it up to 70mph between Rawlins and Laramie and then did 85mph from Laramie to Cheyenne. I probably could have easily gone 75mph the whole way but better safe than sorry!

I think the lack of air resistance at elevation is an underrated factor, one that I rarely hear people talk about on here.

Yes I made it quite easily with about 30 rated miles remaining. I went no a/c (which wasn't too bad after dark and temps in 60s), low suspension, range mode, full charge at Rock Springs, etc. Then I went 60mph until Rawlins, bumped it up to 70mph between Rawlins and Laramie and then did 85mph from Laramie to Cheyenne. I probably could have easily gone 75mph the whole way but better safe than sorry!

I think the lack of air resistance at elevation is an underrated factor, one that I rarely hear people talk about on here.
What vehicle/battery?

MS90D 19" with 45k miles on it. Purchased new in September 2016.

Very glad to see I'm not the only one who is packing on absurd miles so quickly! I'm having my 50k service done in 2 weeks - just 14 months after purchasing the car (late May 2016)!

Red herring, but I'd love to see your service log if you have it in a quick copy/paste version so I can compare it to mine.

Here's to the next 50k and many more road trips in our amazing cars...

Reactions: Ulmo
Very glad to see I'm not the only one who is packing on absurd miles so quickly! I'm having my 50k service done in 2 weeks - just 14 months after purchasing the car (late May 2016)!

Red herring, but I'd love to see your service log if you have it in a quick copy/paste version so I can compare it to mine.

Here's to the next 50k and many more road trips in our amazing cars...
I tend to thrash and neglect cars. I took it in at 25k and I'll take it in again at 50k. Otherwise I haven't done anything. I'll change the tires soon too. FWIW they didn't seem to think it was that big a deal that I hadn't had any service prior to 25k. I think the reason was that it was obvious that it was mostly highway miles since I racked up 25k in <6 months. The car itself is basically as good as new.

Reactions: Ulmo and Mattzilla
What about going west from Cheyenne to Rock Springs?

I'm in Nebraska and debating trying this today in a MS P85, but a bit hesitant. Chademo and mobile charging pack are with me in a pinch.
I don't think CHAdeMO will be of much help. I don't think there's a CHAdeMO charger on I-80 between Lincoln and Salt Lake City...plus wouldn't you be driving uphill most of the way and into the wind?

• Helpful
I'm in Nebraska and debating trying this today in a MS P85, but a bit hesitant. Chademo and mobile charging pack are with me in a pinch.
The prevailing winds across Wyoming would be against you in this case. Best have a backup plan. See plugshare and RVparking.com to see what else is out there.

• Helpful
I tend to thrash and neglect cars. I took it in at 25k and I'll take it in again at 50k. Otherwise I haven't done anything. I'll change the tires soon too. FWIW they didn't seem to think it was that big a deal that I hadn't had any service prior to 25k. I think the reason was that it was obvious that it was mostly highway miles since I racked up 25k in <6 months. The car itself is basically as good as new.
Sheesh and I thought I was doing pretty good to hit 20k in 12 months. You guys are crazy!

• Funny
Reactions: KJD

Don't think the Chademo will be of any use on this stretch, but be sure to have your UMC and 14-50 adapter because the KOA in Rawlins is your likely backup plan. I would call them when you head out and be sure they have a 50 amp hookup available for you. It might be worth paying whatever fee necessary over the phone to reserve it even if you don't end up using it.

I agree with KJD that this would be quite a bit tougher due to the prevailing winds and also a little elevation (the Rock Springs supercharger is 150 ft higher than the Cheyenne supercharger).

FWIW I used 253 rated miles on my trip but I started off going very slow and of course I used no a/c and had suspension set to low. If you do attempt, be absolutely sure to start out at 60mph, low suspension and no A/C (as painful as all of that is lol). You will lose a lot of range going up to Laramie but after that it shouldn't be that bad.

If you do make it through and pass through Evanston, be sure to check to see if the supercharger there is up and running. I have a hunch that it is, but no on the ground reports just yet.

Reactions: KJD