Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Rockaway NJ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Superchargers 11 & 12 are up.

C905FEFB-5C05-497F-9E00-5903583C7895.jpeg

Does anyone know if tesla contracts the installation out or is it done in house by Tesla
:D Tesla doesn't maintain general contractor's and electrician's licenses in every state in the country. It's all contracted.;) In fact, Tesla isn't even directly overseeing the site development and planning or the contractors. They contracted that out too. In the US, it's mostly Black & Veatch, GPD Group, or SAI Group. In Canada, I think it's mostly Stantec now.

:D Tesla doesn't maintain general contractor's and electrician's licenses in every state in the country. It's all contracted.;) In fact, Tesla isn't even directly overseeing the site development and planning or the contractors. They contracted that out too. In the US, it's mostly Black & Veatch, GPD Group, or SAI Group. In Canada, I think it's mostly Stantec now.
Thanks Great info to know as I plan my retirement from the Military.

As of lunchtime today:

View attachment 352595 View attachment 352596

Looks like they're making all the connections now. Supercharger covers are off and wires are being run. They have about a half dozen guys on site, and that's 2x more than I've ever seen at any given time.
Thanks for the update. I hope they make some great process before the snow hits tomorrow afternoon. I think they can complete the construction by thanksgiving and then online by dec 1st. They’ve made tremendous progress in such a short amount of time.

Do you see a transformer and meter? This is usually the big delay. I don't see either in the pictures, and the transformer seems to show up lately long after the main construction is done. Note: Power company provides transformer and meter, so its a separate build schedule.

Only one worker there today. Shot some video. It's pretty much more of the same, and I got a chance to talk to the worker. Said he's part of the grounds crew. He says the electrical guys still have a ways to go. Then everything needs to get signed off by the township. I asked if he thought it could all be done by Christmas... He was not comfortable committing to that.

NEW Unlisted Tesla Supercharger Location in New Jersey

EEECA8F0-BCD7-4E9D-B2FF-03787EC95AE4.jpeg
78402D9B-D2A8-43DE-ADF4-06AC1BA35B3F.jpeg
57D905DA-67A2-4B1D-896C-B9FB3573D327.jpeg
E52D6276-95FE-4164-BBE6-B36206512081.jpeg

Last edited:
That empty concrete pad is where the utility transformer will go. Hard to estimate completion time without having that on site. For all we know they could end up waiting for it for more than 6 months (unlikely, but possible).

Kidding aside, when you're at a location like this, why not throw in a handful of low-cost destination chargers? Let people who want to catch a movie or shop for an extended period top off, while keeping the SuperChargers available.

I'm neutral to the idea, but because I'm a pessimist in the world, heres my response.

If they did that someone will post the following:
"If you're going to go to the trouble of running the wiring for destination chargers right next to the superchargers. Why not just install superchargers? If you need less you can move the car, and this would reduce congestion and waiting times."

Absurd Solution: Superchargers at every parking spot!