Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Rockaway NJ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Kidding aside, when you're at a location like this, why not throw in a handful of low-cost destination chargers? Let people who want to catch a movie or shop for an extended period top off, while keeping the SuperChargers available.

Absolutely, but I don't think Theater/Restaurants Owners get that this is a very good way to keep attendance from Tesla Owners, destination chargers over superchargers ensures that they spend more time in your business as opposed to 40mins AND its cost less time and money than installing Superchargers.

Reactions: MarkS22
I'm neutral to the idea, but because I'm a pessimist in the world, heres my response.

If they did that someone will post the following:
"If you're going to go to the trouble of running the wiring for destination chargers right next to the superchargers. Why not just install superchargers? If you need less you can move the car, and this would reduce congestion and waiting times."

Absurd Solution: Superchargers at every parking spot!
They actually did this in McAllen TX. The Superchargers are in the parking lot of the Embassy Suites at the convention center. Over by the front door of the hotel are several destination chargers. Since this is at a hotel, I would think that both charger types are used frequently. [Keep in mind that use of the dest chargers is free ...]

What do you mean costs less? The cost to the owner for SCs is zero.
Negative Kemo Sabe. Superchargers are free for some Tesla owners (ahem, raises hand quietly) but not all. Notably Model 3 owners.
The destination chargers are free for all Tesla owners.

Or do you mean cost to property owners? There are numerous businesses that host Superchargers, who pay for the electricity (eg. HyVee grocery stores, common in Iowa, Missouri). All businesses that host destination chargers pay for the electricity.
At least some businesses that host Superchargers get rent from Tesla for use of the parking spots and support equipment. There is a mix of dest charger hosts that pay for the charger (and installation) or get it free from Tesla.

Last edited:
Absolutely, but I don't think Theater/Restaurants Owners get that this is a very good way to keep attendance from Tesla Owners, destination chargers over superchargers ensures that they spend more time in your business as opposed to 40mins AND its cost less time and money than installing Superchargers.

Yet. Hopefully, more people catch on. I've had quite a few meals at Cosimo's in Newburgh that I never would've otherwise. Same goes for some of the outlet malls, like Tinton Falls, and even B&Bs up in the Berkshires. I'm sure to tell all of them it's 100% because of the chargers. Of course, having the car eventually move to a parking spot will solve this as well.

Great videos, btw. PM me if you're ever looking for collaborations... I have a (Black) Performance 3 and family members have a Black Model 3 LR and a red Model 3 "Lemur." Maybe we can arrange some kind of comparison across all the models?

• Love
Reactions: BLKTSLA
I'm neutral to the idea, but because I'm a pessimist in the world, heres my response.

If they did that someone will post the following:
"If you're going to go to the trouble of running the wiring for destination chargers right next to the superchargers. Why not just install superchargers? If you need less you can move the car, and this would reduce congestion and waiting times."

Absurd Solution: Superchargers at every parking spot!

Some Tesla owners will complain about everything. If that was a legitimate reason for not doing something, we'd still be on 6.0 firmware with the old nosecone, larger frunk, and AP1. ;)

I do get your point, but the difference between a Supercharger and a 40A Level 2 charger is massive in terms of installation/ongoing costs. They could probably just be designed to use any excess capacity from the Superchargers. If all the Superchargers are full, it can drop to ~15A. Just market the spots as "3-Hour Limit Patron/Customer Charging."

Reactions: Michael Brown
On occasion Tesla installs J1772 L2 chargers next to supercharger installs. Usually this is because it was a requirement of their site lease, i.e. the owner will agree to Tesla installing their proprietary superchargers if they will also put in a few universal L2 ones. They've done this at a couple of the Target store superchargers as well as at most of the installs that are on publicly owned property leased to Tesla by a municipality. So, it really wouldn't be that weird or a big deal for them to have done that here. The only difference being that they wouldn't have installed destination chargers but J1772 so that they were car agnostic.

Reactions: madodel
Some Tesla owners will complain about everything. If that was a legitimate reason for not doing something, we'd still be on 6.0 firmware with the old nosecone, larger frunk, and AP1. ;)

Nah, I've been on the boards for several years now. I can only think of a couple of common complaints. (ie, ghosting windshield, build quality, v8 software, v9 software, lack of software updates, software update broke something, too many options, not enough options, where's my car, bad nav needs replacement, new nav is worse, hate the rain sensors, where's the rain sensors, the old rain sensors where better, ap2 is worse than ap1, ap1 hasn't progressed enough....) you know what, nevermind.

I do get your point, but the difference between a Supercharger and a 40A Level 2 charger is massive in terms of installation/ongoing costs. They could probably just be designed to use any excess capacity from the Superchargers. If all the Superchargers are full, it can drop to ~15A. Just market the spots as "3-Hour Limit Patron/Customer Charging."

Agreed 100% Plus from a behavioral design perspective; it will actually encourage the use and idle at superchargers. Where as the behavioral intention now is clearly; grab you 30-45min and get out.

• Funny
Reactions: madodel and MarkS22
54A90686-E497-4CEF-A847-3857FF5F6580.jpeg

^ Yesterday

On occasion Tesla installs J1772 L2 chargers next to supercharger installs. Usually this is because it was a requirement of their site lease, i.e. the owner will agree to Tesla installing their proprietary superchargers if they will also put in a few universal L2 ones. They've done this at a couple of the Target store superchargers as well as at most of the installs that are on publicly owned property leased to Tesla by a municipality. So, it really wouldn't be that weird or a big deal for them to have done that here. The only difference being that they wouldn't have installed destination chargers but J1772 so that they were car agnostic.
Oh sure, Tesla. Just go ahead and make me a liar why don't you. So, I guess now there is an example of a mall installation with both Superchargers and Destination Chargers being installed side by side as part of the same project. At least I think they're DCs. Based on a reddit post about Tesla's Workplace Charging program some could possibly be HPWCs with J1772 connectors (something I had never seen before). But we'd need to see them from the other side to see what the connector looked like in order to tell for sure.

Anyways....Yay progress! Thanks, @Santa Claws for the excellent continuing coverage of the install. Hopefully the local utility will be doing their utmost to keep their place on your namesake's Nice List and, as a result, Tesla owners will get a newly operational supercharger under their trees in time for the holidays.

Right. The utility was taking their sweet time procuring a $50,000 bit of hardware with at least a 4 month lead time and scheduling $15,000 worth of other materials and crew hours to install it all, but now that you're going to tweet @ them, they'll get right on it. :D

Right. The utility was taking their sweet time procuring a $50,000 bit of hardware with at least a 4 month lead time and scheduling $15,000 worth of other materials and crew hours to install it all, but now that you're going to tweet @ them, they'll get right on it. :D
You and I know it would be wise to complete this job before the temps drop below 0 and the snow starts to rain down like last Christmas I project an opening for Christmas

I've been parking in these spots even though they are not yet powered up. This parking lot gets quite full at peak times with the theater and stores. I can't wait to see how many non-Tesla cars will invade these spots.

They'll do it just to spite us. Unfortunately the signs just say "Tesla Charging AVAILABLE" so I would guess the cost of the charger is shared between the mall and Tesla. Seems Tesla is sacrificing some of the "Tesla Only" privileges in exchange for being able to bring more chargers online. Wawa is a good example where all but two of chargers are for all Wawa customers.

View attachment 360420

Spoke with one of the two workers today wiring up a Supercharger. His best guestimate was a month before everything is online. Said they still need the big transformer in place, then they need to hook that up to the smaller ones before getting it all signed off.

: ( I was hoping for an opening this week. Oh well, I'll take what I can get.

Reactions: KerryOH