Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Sammamish, WA (LIVE 12 Mar 2024, 8 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This charger has a target opening date of Q4 2021 on the Tesla site. Have been interested in this, as the one down at Fred Meyer in Issaquah is packed a lot of the time.

Thought I'd take a quick look for permits in Sammamish and it actually looks like there's progress.

The address is 720 228TH AVE NE - interesting spot, but looks like there is space opposite the 76 gas station, next to a pet grooming store.

Feasibility meeting was completed 4/1/21 - Permit Details - MyBuildingPermit
"(JBUC) Installation of Tesla electric vehicle charging station. Installation to include (2) V3 supercharger cabinets, (8) V3 charging posts, (1) switchgear assembly w/ integrated master controller, and (1) utility transformer. Installation will occur within existing parking stalls on site. Parking analysis has been performed and there is a surplus of parking stalls on site."​

Electrical permit applied for 5/10/21 and under review - Permit Details - MyBuildingPermit

Building permit applied for 5/10/21 and under review - Permit Details - MyBuildingPermit

Nice find. The parcel listed on the permits is around the MOD Pizza part of the shopping center, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's more over that way than next to the 76 station. Also, the feasibility meeting record shows an address of just "NE 8th St" which would also be consistent. However, what's listed on the permit doesn't always match up exactly with the reality of the final product, so that might not be right. My GPS guess is: 47.616291, -122.032922

1621306915306.png

@Chuq @MarcoRP @corywright

The parcel listed on the permits is around the MOD Pizza part of the shopping center, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's more over that way than next to the 76 station.
Good point, and I think MOD Pizza is actually a better match for the 220 228TH AVE NE address. The 76 station address is 240. I don’t see anything at the 220 number, but the two businesses in the same building as MOD Pizza directly to the south are 218 and 216 228TH. MOD Pizza has an address on 8TH, but if its door faced to the west it would probably be 220 228TH.

I’ve been to this strip mall many times when attending sports events at the nearby schools. I would have never described the parking as having “surplus” spots. It was always quite busy, especially on the weekend.

With MOD, a pub, supermarket and other options, those local people who can’t charge at home can make good use of their time while topping up.

We can expect only urban SC posts in this residential area, which seems a waste of the v3 cabinet’s power capacity.

Is Tesla still evn manufacturing Urban cabinets? I feel like they're just finishing off projects that started ages ago like Bellevue without going back to planning committee reviews but otherwise everything is now consolidated around v3.
Yeah it kind of seems like they're just using the fastest available superchargers based on whatever electrical supply is available at each new site. The truth is, the urban supercharger model never made a whole lot of sense. You have people that can't arrange charging at home so you're going to provide them with a slower supercharger that they can use once or twice a week? No one is going to like that much.

Eventually this whole EV charging thing is going to transition to more of a "fill the gas tank" model that takes only 5-10 minutes anyway. Once it gets below 15 minutes or so, it will already be to the point where you'll just wait with your car as it charges, or do something very minimal such as go to the bathroom or buy a few items at a convenience store (i.e. the gas station model).

Yeah it kind of seems like they're just using the fastest available superchargers based on whatever electrical supply is available at each new site. The truth is, the urban supercharger model never made a whole lot of sense. You have people that can't arrange charging at home so you're going to provide them with a slower supercharger that they can use once or twice a week? No one is going to like that much.

Eventually this whole EV charging thing is going to transition to more of a "fill the gas tank" model that takes only 5-10 minutes anyway. Once it gets below 15 minutes or so, it will already be to the point where you'll just wait with your car as it charges, or do something very minimal such as go to the bathroom or buy a few items at a convenience store (i.e. the gas station model).
The only benefit to those urbans was the non-shared power aspect, which V3 largely solves. If the site can support the power, it makes sense to go for V3. Though, and PLUS EV knows what I'm about to say, I hope at large shopping centers, areas with sit down dinner locations or movie theaters, and the like, even with a V3 station Tesla will put in destination chargers. (Even if they turn into a pay model at this point). V3 still isn't fast enough to do a pretty full charge (think up to 80 to 90%) without feeling like you're wasting time but it's still too fast for a sit down meal or a movie. Let me plug in for five minutes while I check the menu somewhere on my phone or buy my movie tickets and pick up 15kWh to 20kWh and then move to a destination for two and a half or three hours and pick up another 25kWh to 30kWh (assuming 48 amp and 208v). If i pull in with like 20% left on a 75kWh pack, that gets me back to like 85% and I've only had my butt in the seat for five to eight minutes before doing something else with my time.

I thoughts that permits were already approved?
Yes, they are approved. They aren't issued yet, though. "Approved" means that the plans have passed all the necessary reviews and the permit is ready to be issued. "Issued" means that Tesla or the contractor actually have the permit in hand. Going from approved to issued could be as simple as going to the building department to pick up the permit or there may be some minor outstanding stuff that needs to happen first, e.g. paying fees.

Going to be 8 v3 chargers per permit.

TESLA CHARGING STATION
(JBUC) Installation of Tesla electric vehicle charging station. Installation to include (2) V3 supercharger cabinets, (8) V3 charging posts, (1) switchgear assembly w/ integrated master controller, and (1) utility transformer. Installation will occur within existing parking stalls on site. Parking analysis has been performed and there is a surplus of parking stalls on site.