Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Antonio, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not at $0.28/kWh vs ~$0.10/kWh @ home.
1) The price is not going to be anywhere that bad, right? As long as you disconnect as it approaches 30kW rate.

2) The big issue at the root of the clogging is assumed to be the Lifetime Free cars.

3) Does San Antonio really have that much higher numbers than Houston or the near-by San Marcos? Neither of which have a clogging issue like Austin. Oh and both have slightly lower pricing than Austin.

I would love to know why Tesla hasn't tried to geofence cars yet.... seems like a fairly easy solution.
It is technically an easy solution, but PR wise there would be an uproar from people complaining that they cannot charge at XX supercharger especially when you consider that Tesla has changed it's stance on its supercharging network only being for roadtrips. The urban chargers Tesla has been installing is more geared for local Tesla owners especially those that live in apartments.

Reactions: SammichLover
Full with model S/X with free unlimited free supercharging... And those early performance model 3. Everyone willing to trade time for $$.

Generally full all the time making it difficult to use while traveling through.

Hoping the low electric rates help, but Austin is sitting at 9 of 10 full right now so I expect SA to be similar.

The Austin Supercharger is insanely busy! I waited for a little more than an hour during the Fourth of July weekend. I counted 18 Teslas when I first arrived. We had a nice, little line going. We had some cool conversations, but many were hoping the SC in San Antonio would open soon. The Tesla rep that was there to "manage expectations" said the second Austin Supercharger would be opening later this summer and the third would open sometime in the fall.

I really wish Tesla would have installed 18-24 stalls in San Antonio. It is loooong overdue. I think a lot of folks that charge in Austin will be using the San Antonio SC until a second Austin SC opens up.

It is that 'bad'; The target rate is ~$0.28/kWh. If TX is one of the silly states where you can't sell 'kWh' then the per minute rate is structured to come out to ~$0.28/kWh.
TX is a per minute state, and 28c/kwh is no where near reality. It is usually just over half that, unless you’ve got a need to push past about 85% SOC on a LR Model 3, for example.

Keeping in mind that if you’re at 10c at home, if you have a home option, that’s actually a little over 11c due to AC-DC conversion cost. Unless you have to charge at 120V, making it at least 12c.

Basically the 15c or so it’ll cost at a SC here is a very small factor in whether or not you’ll charge at a SC.

TX is a per minute state, and 28c/kwh is no where near reality. It is usually just over half that, unless you’ve got a need to push past about 85% SOC on a LR Model 3, for example.

Keeping in mind that if you’re at 10c at home, if you have a home option, that’s actually a little over 11c due to AC-DC conversion cost. Unless you have to charge at 120V, making it at least 12c.

Basically the 15c or so it’ll cost at a SC here is a very small factor in whether or not you’ll charge at a SC.

As mentioned by @brkaus they probably need to update their per minute rate tiers... I doubt the intention is to make per minute cheaper than per kWh.

• Disagree
I really wish Tesla would have installed 18-24 stalls in San Antonio. It is loooong overdue. I think a lot of folks that charge in Austin will be using the San Antonio SC until a second Austin SC opens up.
I don’t go there that often, and don’t regularly check the map info, but I don’t recall ever seeing San Marcos w/more than 5 vehicles & usually has a lot less.

Why would someone from SA drive past that to Austin, or if in Austin not just use San Marcos on the way home instead?

Reactions: brkaus
As mentioned by @brkaus they probably need to update their per minute rate tiers... I doubt the intention is to make per minute cheaper than per kWh.
The rub is they -do- need to make it cheaper for people willing to game it. Otherwise it becomes crazy expensive for just using it.

They’d probably have legal issues if they added many more tiers, although I expect one for V3 eventually. 250kW is a large just up from 120kW.

Also doesn’t change that your assertion was dead wrong about current state of affairs.

The rub is they -do- need to make it cheaper for people willing to game it. Otherwise it becomes crazy expensive for just using it.

They’d probably have legal issues if they added many more tiers, although I expect one for V3 eventually. 250kW is a large just up from 120kW.

??? Why?

How is ~$0.28/kWh 'crazy expensive'?

I think it should be free.... for travelers...

• Funny
If you're able to sustain >100kW... we'll see...
LOL

It was rare when traveling long haul for my charge rate to drop below 90kW -before- the improved curve patch. When it did, because I had some sort of longer jump, I’d usually just ride it to 50kW or so. The average c/kWh was very good.

Now, when it stays 100kW+ until about 62-63% or something? The weighted average is very good.

The Austin Supercharger is insanely busy! I waited for a little more than an hour during the Fourth of July weekend. I counted 18 Teslas when I first arrived. We had a nice, little line going. We had some cool conversations, but many were hoping the SC in San Antonio would open soon. The Tesla rep that was there to "manage expectations" said the second Austin Supercharger would be opening later this summer and the third would open sometime in the fall.

Hopefully they will start on Selma soon.

Do you even math, brah?

If you price it to hit 28c/kWh for those that game it then you’ll implicitly be a lot higher than 28c for those that don’t.

Um... what? That don't what?

It IS $0.28/kWh in states that allow per kWh pricing....

Do you think it's intentional that $/min is currently cheaper than $/kWh? The only reason there's a difference is laws regulating the sale of electricity.

Luck?

????

# of cars charging
Ambient temp
Grid Voltage
Sharing a cabinet
Battery Temperature
Battery SOC

• Funny

Clearly they need more, no doubt. Especially as they bring back the free supercharging for first owner offers.

I don’t think SA has any effect on Austin. San Marcos is in between. I’d bet a good bit of the Austin supercharger use is instead of home (or public) charging. Holidays excluded of course.

it would be great if Selma happens, Boerne too. I think the small town stations are better for the travelers.