Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Antonio, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today I went to see if there was anything that looked like a Supercharger location in the "Walden Meadows" area. There is no way. There is a new retail area that looks unfinished or perhaps abandoned. There is not enough parking there for the businesses, much less to have some dedicated to charging.

I think this might be a case of their being two Supercharger locations in SA in the future and one will be on the northwest side. They needed to locate a marker out there somewhere, so they clicked on Walden Meadows. There are several possible locations, but not really any of "the usual suspects". There is a La Quinta Inn, a company which Tesla has rarely used. The Rim shopping center seems likely to me, but it would need to be in the northern part of the property to be out of the Edwards Aquifer recharge zone. Another possibility is the Eilan Apartments complex, which has restaurants and parking areas, and is fairly near Walden Meadows.

Of course, the other question that we haven't speculated on is the location for the OTHER Supercharger in SA. To me, there is a junction between Interstates 10, 35 and 37, all of which have Supercharger routes either existing or planned. A location near those routes might make sense for travellers, but I don't know about urban charging. Somewhere near Market Square?

Here is the permit. The address is 125 NW 410 BLDG 6 and it was submitted October 25th. The Aviation reviews has come back "Denied" pending answers to questions about cranes and how much it increases the height where it is. The Electrical review came back Denied with comments about the required format of the submitted drawings. The Tree review has been Denied pending inspection of the site for existing trees.

INSTALL AN ELECTRIC VEHICLE CHARGING STATION WITH SIX (6) SUPERCHARGING CABINETS, TWELVE (12) CHARGING POSTS, ONE (1) QED SWITCHGEAR ASSEMBLY AND ONE (1) UTILITY TRANSFORMER WITHIN AN EXISTING PARKING LOT.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: benjiejr and brkaus
FAA approval is required if the structure is within 20,000 meters of the nearest (long) runway. It looks like this site is about 2200 meters, and the height would be restricted to no more than 22 meters. That certainly shouldn't be a problem, but it is something that needs clarification in the application.

I was wandering today while my Tesla was in the Service Center in San Antonio. Took the loaner over to La Plaza del Norte center where the Supercharger is supposed to be built. There is no activity yet, and I really couldn't locate a "Building 6" as is mentioned in the permit. Best Buy is suite 201, and is in Building 2 and the others located in that building are in the 200's, so I assume the Suite number indicates the building? There are no buildings with suite numbers in the 600's. 100's, 200's, 300's 400's and 500's, yes.

Most likely location is in the back of the lot where there are long rows of curbs set up separating this lot from the adjacent lots and buildings (which have a different address).

upload_2017-11-13_21-0-15.png

Found this on the Property Management's site:

View attachment 260405

Looks like they may be talking about Unit #6, which is the Floor and Decor business.

Not sure if this is correct but it might be -
Probably what they are going by - thanks. That makes sense that it would be in the lot in front of Floor and Decor.

The back of that building has a sign on the wall saying "Building 2", and it's suite numbers in the 200's, but none of the other buildings have a building number. I made too many assumptions from that limited info, I guess.

Reactions: HillCountryFun
Noting that there is not much in the way of food options or late-night bathroom options (except for building 12, which is a "Gentlemen's Club"). Maybe this is not as important for the more urban chargers. This is not really on a direct highway route, so maybe it is mostly for apartment dwellers.

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus
Noting that there is not much in the way of food options or late-night bathroom options (except for building 12, which is a "Gentlemen's Club"). Maybe this is not as important for the more urban chargers. This is not really on a direct highway route, so maybe it is mostly for apartment dwellers.

I disagree, it links through traffic on I10 and I35 or for anyone making the switch. There is a Freebird's (if you like that kind of food) for a restroom.

As for building numbers:
Where Ross is located is bld. 1
From Total Wine to DSW is bld. 2
Petco and Five Below is bld. 3
Freebird's is in bld. 4
David's Bridal to Mattress Firm is bld.5

so by deduction, PT's is bld 6 ...

ICED by motorcycles?

• Funny
Reactions: BerTX
I disagree, it links through traffic on I10 and I35 or for anyone making the switch. There is a Freebird's (if you like that kind of food) for a restroom.

As for building numbers:
Where Ross is located is bld. 1
From Total Wine to DSW is bld. 2
Petco and Five Below is bld. 3
Freebird's is in bld. 4
David's Bridal to Mattress Firm is bld.5

so by deduction, PT's is bld 6 ...

ICED by motorcycles?

There are certainly worse located SC's than this for highway travel, but this forces going through one of the highest traffic areas and requires getting off of the Interstates 10/35 by a few miles. It's a poorly designed traffic access for those not familiar with the area.

There is also a Jason's Deli within easy walking distance, and I think a Chick-fil-a. All close at 10 pm, although Chick-fil-a opens at 6:30 am (except Sunday, of course).

While I think the concept of a Supercharger adjacent to a strip club is a compelling idea, the address for PT is 111 NW Loop 410, not 125...

• Funny
Reactions: HillCountryFun