Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Diego CA - A Street (LIVE 27 Jun 2018, 16 Urban type)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m here now. Only 4 of us charging. This is the best supercharger ever!

I must have seen you there, if that's your silver 3? When I arrived at 5:15pm, all 16 stalls were available.

I like everything about this place except for the confined space should it ever get busy. This location is a block away from a once-weekly destination of mine, and I'll happily pay $5 to not park on the street for a few hours(*) at night and some extra charge.

Anyone know if there is a cafe in the building?

(*) Yes, I move my car when I'm done. Also, I have a HPWC in my garage at home and would happily move along if I ever found this place very busy.

Reactions: GuyDude
13A684C7-F393-4C6F-8E93-3A59EC8FD0A1.jpeg

Surprised no one posted anything about the ribbon cutting ceremony yesterday.

The gentleman in the center of the picture, wearing jeans is Nate Anderson, Regional Manager - California, Tesla Charging Infrastructure. During his address at the ribbon cutting, Nate stated that there will be 10 Supercharger Stations with 150 Superchargers built in the next 12 months in the San Diego region. San Diego is also the #5 region with the most Model 3 reservations in the US.

The gentleman in the center of the picture, wearing jeans is Nate Anderson, Regional Manager - California, Tesla Charging Infrastructure. During his address at the ribbon cutting, Nate stated that there will be 10 Supercharger Stations with 150 Superchargers built in the next 12 months in the San Diego region. San Diego is also the #5 region with the most Model 3 reservations in the US.

I will be happy if it's even half that amount in that time

I’ll belive it when I see it! Honestly, these SC stations take so long to permit and build, there is almost zero chance of that statement becoming true.

The fact that there’s a different guy in charge of this region than there was gives me hope.

Agreed that even half that forecast for San Diego County would be impressive. Hopefully one goes in at the San Ysidro crossing to open up some weekend excursions to Ensenada now that decent Tesla-suitable travel insurance is coming.

Carlsbad and the inland one just north of San Diego would account for 30-40 of the 150 and 2 of the 10 presumably. 8 SCs in addition in a year in one county? Yeah, tall order, given that it’s taken years to get in the ballpark of that number in LA and Orange Counties.

Will be an interesting year to say the least.

Reactions: jowaldo
I'll bet under 9.5 with anyone who wants action :)

• Funny
Reactions: KyleDay and jowaldo
8 SCs in addition in a year in one county? Yeah, tall order, given that it’s taken years to get in the ballpark of that number in LA and Orange Counties.

Will be an interesting year to say the least.
Santa Clara County has had 3 new Supercharger sites open just in YTD 2018. A 4th site is only a couple hundred yards outside the county.
- Sunnyvale
- Cupertino
- Casa de Fruta
- East Palo Alto (just outside SCC)

There are 3 more under construction (Los Gatos, Milpitas, San Jose) that will likely be open before the end of 3Q-2018. Those are also just the ones we know about today.

So, I would say 8 new Supercharger sites in one county in one year is definitely possible. San Diego county has 3.26X the land area of Santa Clara county (4,207mi^2 vs. 1,290 mi^2)

Santa Clara County has had 3 new Supercharger sites open just in YTD 2018. A 4th site is only a couple hundred yards outside the county.
- Sunnyvale
- Cupertino
- Casa de Fruta

There are 3 more under construction (Los Gatos, Milpitas, San Jose) that will likely be open before the end of 3Q-2018. Those are also just the ones we know about today.

So, I would say 8 new Supercharger sites in one county in one year is definitely possible. San Diego county has 3.26X the land area of Santa Clara county (4,207mi^2 vs. 1,290 mi^2)

That’s very encouraging. However, I’ve always considered Santa Clara County collectively as being much more... proactive than San Diego County.

It’s possible, sure. Especially with this new fellow at the helm and focusing as much, evidently, upon. SoCal as NorCal and inland.

Probable at net +10? Not based upon the past 5 years of malaise. I’d be impressed with net +5 this year. That’s 500% better than it was until recently.

Add that buildout to the impending SC v3 effort and the future is bright indeed. Spending 45 minutes at an SC instead of up to double that just improves the experience (and capacity) immensely.

- Sunnyvale
- Cupertino
- Casa de Fruta

Don’t underestimate the power of San Diego County’s Permit Office to impede progress and screw things up as much as possible. No one, not even Tesla, have managed to figure out how much baksheesh needs to be paid out to get anything done.

I’m certain it wasn’t lost on anyone living in Southern California how relatively easily and quickly Tesla got the twenty-one stall San Clemente Supercharger Station up and running. No games, no drama, no stalling, just quick and efficient installation and power up of the prettiest Supercharger station I’ve yet visited.

San Diego on the other hand...

The supercharger map for the San Diego region shows the placement of the ten new locations.

Be aware that the gray proposed locations in this map are simply centered on the city center. For instance, the real Carlsbad location isn’t close to the Tesla map Carlsbad location. Also, these maps are always aspirational. I very, very much doubt they have locations locked down for all these future pins.

• Helpful
Reactions: RBowen and jowaldo
Moderator note: several posts discussing whether or not Tesla makes money on owners charging at this location have been moved to a new thread at Does Tesla make money on Supercharging? because the discussion is not specific to the A St Supercharger and there is no evidence that Tesla is trying to make money on charging there as compared to any other Supercharger. That discussion can be continue there. Thank you.

Reactions: ccutrer