Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Luis Obispo, CA (LIVE 5 May 2018, expanded May 2020, 14 V2 + 4 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
96CAC97B-D6A8-43EB-A6CA-F8D9DC0DF78F.jpeg
Well that’s interesting—a you not them. This is a very traffic’d location and wonder if anyone else is having an issue. Do you remember the stall number? If so someone who reads this traveling through could check it out. I know a while back we encountered very slow rate at the Atascadero SCs and were told by some regulars there that those particular chargers were known to be slow, so not a bad idea if others can check it out for you at Madonna and save you a service visit. BTW have you had super slow charging at other locations?
It was stall 3b, the car ramped up to 98kW at 13% for about 5 seconds then throttled down to about 68kW and tapered from there.
The entire 1000 mile trip from Socal to Fremont and back I was experiencing slower and slower sessions (20-30 min more than estimated charge time with all unpaired stalls.)

Attachments

• 10114030-C653-494E-9EE9-D509262F7926.png
    10114030-C653-494E-9EE9-D509262F7926.png
    234.6 KB · Views: 57
  • Informative
Reactions: SMAlset
I hope this is not just a ploy to get the 200$ diagnostic fee from me. Good thing is they are also going to be replacing my instrument cluster screen due to bubbles appearing.

I would of thought if they had reports of stall issues they would have brushed it off as that, but they said to schedule service.

Last edited:
Stopped at the Madonna Inn supercharger for the first time this past weekend, primarily because Atascadero was full. It also hovered around full occupancy both times we were there (Saturday and Sunday), except for the blue handicapped stall at the end.

There is a temporary pallet with 4 urban charger pedestals, but only 2 were activated. It was possible to park on the end in such a way that you could plug into the rear charger, but it had no power.

Somewhat disappointed in the charging speed here. On both occasions I started with less than 50 miles remaining. A regular unpaired stall gave me 88 kW initially, but that rate went down quickly. The urban charger only gave me 46 kW max, and also went down from there. (By contrast, Salinas gave me 116 kW at the same state of charge.)

Madonna46kW.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up
...There is a temporary pallet with 4 urban charger pedestals, but only 2 were activated. It was possible to park on the end in such a way that you could plug into the rear charger, but it had no power....

...The urban charger only gave me 46 kW max, and also went down from there. (By contrast, Salinas gave me 116 kW at the same state of charge.)
That style of mobile supercharger pallet only gives a maximum of ~50 kW at both posts even though the equipment on it is the same as that used for the 72 kW, hardwired urban superchargers. And it only ever has 2 posts wired up hot, the other is on there so they can still use the same pallet and make 2 posts available in multiple stall layouts/geometries.

• Informative
Reactions: thecloud
I just read back a few pages in this thread, and it seems the "temporary" pallet has been there since last November! They really should cover the non-functional pedestal, as I tried hooking up to it first (so as not to block the front charger). On the return leg, I got a standard stall and watched as others arrived and made the same mistake I did. At least they were thinking about others and not potentially blocking a charging spot, though!

And I was wrong about it having 4 pedestals: since I was on the side with 2, I assumed a symmetry that wasn't actually there.

Oh, and one of the regular stalls was coned off, presumably non-functional. I didn't call it in, but probably should have.

Last edited:
Construction today! Looks like they are upping the capacity and installing additional permanent chargers. Forgot to snap a pic but there is a whole area fenced off with multiple electrical trucks and excavators going full speed. The car also shows the station as "limited service" but it looks like the 10 permanent stalls are still available/operational, maybe at reduced speeds.

I don't know any exact numbers, but by the size of the space they are working with, I wouldn't be surprised if they are doubling the permanent capacity to 20.

Very interesting that they would install a mix of V2 and V3 to an existing site. Especially so because the four V2 stalls are the same increment supported by the V3 Supercharger cabinet. I suppose they must be running up against the utility service limit. Powerpack batteries could alleviate some of that limit with peak shaving to allow eight V3 stalls.

I suppose they must be running up against the utility service limit.

Still a bit strange to have four stalls specifically not V3. They could still have installed 8x V3 stalls with the same bottleneck at the grid connection point, and it would be unusual that people would have noticed.. It's not like they are going to have a majority of cars drawing 200+ kW at the same time.

As an example: the Las Vegas V3 has a grid connection which (combined with the battery and solar), when split equally between all stalls, only allows about 120 kW each. However in practice that is fine because on the rare occasion all stalls are full, most of the cars will be drawing way less than that and only a few will be at the 200+ kW mark.

Yeah, the Nav shows the location as reduced and won’t allow routing through it without an override. I’ve ignored several other reduced service notices and never been skunked. I also have been dealing with the possibility of PGE service outages as I made my way from Seattle to Santa Barbara today. Happy to report no outages were noted so I doubt the SLO messsge is related.

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9