Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - St George, UT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not much elevation change out of Las Vegas to St George but out of St George to Cedar City it goes from 2500 ft to 5500 ft and then you have to go over a mild pass to drop down into Beaver.

It's plus 4,162 feet from the Las Vegas Supercharger to the Beaver Supercharger. At my standard conversion of 6 rated miles per 1,000 feet, that is -25 rated miles in potential energy change to do the climb to Beaver and +25 rated miles descending to Las Vegas. That is a net of 50 rated miles difference in favor of making it Beaver to Las Vegas vs the other way.

St George will still help the the Beaver to LV direction because you will only need a partial, fast, 20 minute or so charge in Beaver vs a 90+ minute 100% charge as it is now. St George makes the other way an easy drive, vs an anxiety-producing, hypermile adventure...

From what I have read about other SC installs is that, aside from permitting delays, the next biggest issue is getting the power company to install the needed transformers to make it work. Unless the transformers are already there, I wouldn't hold your breath.

Going from nothing to a fully operational SpC in less than two weeks would have to be a record by a wide margin. I wouldn't count on it but one can hope. The pictures after four days showed some impressive progress.

Search for a friendly RV park in St George that is close to something to do; I find if I zoom into the region with Google Maps and search for "RV Parks," I have good luck; call ahead a day or two before departure. You will probably need 1-2 hours on a 50 Amp RV outlet to be comfortable.

As an alternative, take the southern Supercharger route and come through Pagosa Springs and Salida. See 4 Corners EV Charging for reerence. With an overnight at Incredible Pagosa Vacation Rentals in Pagosa Springs, Colorado, a soak in the hot springs, and a 100% charge there (70A J1772), all you need is a little top up in Salida. I guarantee you that Salida (70A J1772 at Wood's High Mountain Distillery) will be cooler and more interesting than St George.

Enjoy the trip!

St. George Supercharger Eye Candy

I live in St. George area. When I took my kids to the movies I saw this.

The guys didn't seem to be sure how long it would take to complete.

Check out the new Supercharger install.

tesla1.jpg
tesla2.jpg

Going from nothing to a fully operational SpC in less than two weeks would have to be a record by a wide margin. I wouldn't count on it but one can hope. The pictures after four days showed some impressive progress.

Beaver is a compact simple design with 4 bays. Doubling this to 8 bays would still have a small footprint. If the St George requirements can be minimal like at Beaver then the building job could be quick. If they start requiring all kinds of mil-spec extras all bets are off. If you've seen a dozen or two SCs then you've seen the range of possibilities here. Some jurisdictions are into over-specking as an art form, and TM has to deal with it as best they can.
--

Go to page 8 and see jtb100's last photo with the Movie Marque. I wish I could sneak into the "letters box" and make "Edge of Tomorrow Is Here", and "Deliver Us From Evil Oil". There are 5 more movies there begging for some word play...

Has anyone here done the drive from Las Vegas to Beaver, UT? Is it doable in an 85? Per Google maps it's 221 miles which should be fine, but I don't know about any elevation change. Thanks for any info.

I have done it. Including a 40 km / 25 mile detour through the recreation area as the Interstate out of Las Vegas was backed up for more than 10 miles.

I did not plan it, had I realized the detour was that long I might have decided to stay overnight in Las Vegas. The only way I made it was to go really, really slowly for the last hour and a half. It was well past midnight, so there was little traffic - I just had the hazard lights on any time I saw headlights approaching from behind.

How slow is really, really slowly? 80 km/h (50 mph) in an 80 mph zone.

There is a net 3000 foot elevation GAIN from Las Vegas to Beaver. Even worse, there is a big hill just before getting in to Beaver. So, you have to manage something like a 5000 foot gain (just guessing), then you get back quite a bit on the downhill into Beaver.

It goes without saying, I hope, that I started with a 100% charge in Las Vegas. 427 km "rated range" (267 miles).

So, if you
a) start with a full charge
b) do NOT take a detour or spend an hour stopped running the climate control
c) keep a couple of backups in mind (RV parks), and divert if you're unsure of making it

then I don't see a problem.

This will soon become moot, once the St George supercharger opens!

Congrats!

50 in an 80 is pretty slow. I did 60 on the way down and thought I was close to the edge of "safe".

Also your car must be really new if your still at 267 rated range?

I have done it. Including a 40 km / 25 mile detour through the recreation area as the Interstate out of Las Vegas was backed up for more than 10 miles.

How slow is really, really slowly? 80 km/h (50 mph) in an 80 mph zone.

It goes without saying, I hope, that I started with a 100% charge in Las Vegas. 427 km "rated range" (267 miles).

Being numerically pedantic, the conversion of miles to km is 1.60934 km/mi. 427 km / 1.60934 km/mi = 265 miles rated range. Still greatma 100% charge and a wonderful hypermile success!

Using the 2 digit conversion (or 8/5), 427/1.6 = 267 miles.

I am planning on coming through St. George this Monday July 28th on my way from Los Angeles to Park City. If anyone visits the Supercharger site, please let us know if by some miracle it is nearly done, or how much longer it will take. I may get to use it on my return home a week later.

This morning I spoke with the Temple View RV Park manager in St. George, and their current policy for EV charging is a flat fee of slightly less than $30 (+ tax, 10% AAA discount available) no matter how much electricity you use. The office is open from 7:30 am to 8 pm, and this time of year they have plenty of room. (435) 673-6400. 975 S Main St, St George, UT 84770. Another alternative is St. George RV Park, which is about 2 miles away. The office manager said they intend on closing this park in about a year, but in the meantime EV's can charge for the cost of electricity at 13 cents per kWh. 2100 E Middleton Dr; St. George UT 84770. 435-673-2970. Finally I spoke with the receptionist at Stephen Wade auto (a Nissan dealership listed on PlugShare) and they have a J1772 on the side of their building at 150 West Hilton Drive, St George, available first come first served, for free. 435-634-4500. Not clear that this would work for an overnight charge.