Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - St. Louis Park, MN

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can confirm it’s going in the lot of target drove by it the other day and asked a worker. You can see the electrical for each stall and where the battery packs will be housed.
The concrete pads are for the transformer and 2 supercharging cabinets, not batteries. The pad on the far left at this site is for the transformer and connects over to the existing electrical grid. The two pads to the right of that are for the cabinets that connect the transformer to the charging pedestals (4 pedestals per cabinet for V3). There are no superchargers with batteries AFAIK, I think the first ones will be in the California locations that had that power outage last week according to Elons Twitter

Reactions: MikeMacMan
The concrete pads are for the transformer and 2 supercharging cabinets, not batteries. The pad on the far left at this site is for the transformer and connects over to the existing electrical grid. The two pads to the right of that are for the cabinets that connect the transformer to the charging pedestals (4 pedestals per cabinet for V3). There are no superchargers with batteries AFAIK, I think the first ones will be in the California locations that had that power outage last week according to Elons Twitter

So you're saying that since there will be multiple cabinets, that's a pretty good indicator that this is a v3 station since there are 8 stalls?

So you're saying that since there will be multiple cabinets, that's a pretty good indicator that this is a v3 station since there are 8 stalls?
Yep! The layout of the concrete pads matches what we've seen on the V3 installs that are going on in ND and all through Canada right now; pads for 2 cabinets and 1 transformer. A lot of the Canada ones are 6 stalls, but they still use 2 cabinets and leave one space on each "Reserved for future use" in case they need/want to expand it to 8 stalls in the future.

Does anyone have an idea about why the cabinets are delayed? Is it materials, fabrication, finance?
Volume (fabrication)? Look at the map, they are in the process of installing all across central and western Canada as well as the locations already prepared in ND. Etc. I'm assuming a third (fourth?) location in Minneapolis is a bit lower priority? Plus, a number of the other locations have been ready for equipment much longer.

Considering that they did not put wood boxes over the pipes to protect from the winter like we have seen at the other locations, is it possible they get this done before winter?

Considering that they did not put wood boxes over the pipes to protect from the winter like we have seen at the other locations, is it possible they get this done before winter?
They started construction this summer on the conduits and bases along the TransCanada from Sault Ste Marie (actually, from this side of Ottawa) across to Calgary. In the last 2 months some white boxes are appearing for the V3 support, and in the last few weeks some sites have started getting pedestals. Regina, and assorted sites around it, have fully installed pedestals only needing to be turned on. I see Brandon and Portage have just took delivery of their white boxes.

So the equipment is coming now, the trickle is turning into a flood. Rumor has it (from what a technician said?) these will be turned on in November. Expect equipment for SLP-MN in a month or two at this rate.
Also - note that once the conduits are in, they can probably do the last installs in almost any weather - I assume they have construction tents for over the equipment as it gets installed to warm the workers - they had a canopy to protect installers from the rain on another site.

The next step, which doesn't have to wait for equipment, is to pull the cables. I assume this can happen pretty soon, and at that point they will install whatever weatherproofing is necessary. Protection we've seen (like conduit 10 feet in the air because the cables don't coil well) happens after the cables are pulled.

What's missing, of course, is for at least one of these greenfield V3 superchargers to go live. I suspect they're waiting until they are all ready and have a grand announcement about opening the TransCanada. I suspect a similar big announcement about a grand opening for I94 and I29 when everything is ready.

Last edited:
Looks like construction has resumed. They are running wire and digging to an electrical box down the road.

Attachments

• IMG_0396.jpeg
    IMG_0396.jpeg
    388.2 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_0397.jpeg
    IMG_0397.jpeg
    417.7 KB · Views: 142
Looks like some other people beat me to noting that the utility has done their work to support the build out. @Chuq and @BlueShift could you note this build as 250kW? The two concrete pads for 8 stalls should be enough correct? Also, if that’s enough could you also note these stations the same?

Alexandria, MN
Fargo, ND
Bismarck, ND
Dickinson, ND

Attachments

• 9ECB4B78-15BC-4376-A847-809359F35892.jpeg
    9ECB4B78-15BC-4376-A847-809359F35892.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 101
As we've been posting up north - the supply for Trans-Canada seems to be complete and it seems to have been a focus, on the supercharge.info map that whole string of construction sites is about ready to turn on; at most one or two more places waiting for hardware. About 20 sites supplied in the last 2 months (and all look like V3) so if the equipment has been the holdup, expect to see a lot in the next month arriving at the MN/ND/MT locations.

I hope. :)

Nothing has happened at this location since Oct 9, so about a month and a half. (except for the one transformer that went in)

People were saying the cabinets were delayed? And they would go to other superchargers with them first?

Anyone know if any other superchargers waiting on cabinets have been completed in the last few weeks?

Over the last month and a half, ~25 V3 locations along the TransCanada Highway all got their cabinets and pedestals. That's 50+ cabinets and ~160 pedestals. Now that they are basically all done, we should start to see the hardware flow to locations in the US that are waiting on it.

The first one that I've seen was Nashville, which got its V3 cabinets this past Monday: New Nashville Area Supercharger - I24/Thompson Ln

Last edited: